• You cannot reply to this topic

Hi All from London Self-introduction

#1 User is offline   Pin 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members
  • LocationLondon

Posted 25 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

Hi everyone,

My real name is Alan and I am getting on a bit now (I'll not say how much). I am just back into guitar playing and have enrolled on Steve Krenz's course as well as Jamplay. I first picked up a guitar when I was aged 17 (a loooooong time ago) and stuck with it for about 6 years. By the time I dropped out I was at about the level of session 20 of Steve's course - maybe a bit beyond.

I did go to a teacher but struggled with what we taught me to play - standards and jazzy things - nothing wrong with that but what I wanted at the time was Hendrix, Cream etc. I never gigged much. I always found it difficult to read time off sheet music (tab wasn't about much at all when I started) if I hadn't heard the song played. I could put my fingers where they were supposed to go but just had the time problem.

Of course, what I didn't have back then was the stupendous learning resources which are available today - Steve's course, jamplay, youtube, DVD's galore and so on. And there is even something called "Band in a box" which I am toying with the idea of getting and producing my own backing tracks.

However, before I get to that I have to relearn the lot. My fingers are well rusty - lots of scales etc and although I find I can still form a lot of the standard chord shapes some will not "go" which means the "pain treatment"!

I've had a couple of good axes in my time. The first good axe was a Gibson ES345 stereo (I have just put up a post on the Epiphone Forum about the repro Epi are bringing out) which I loved and later (foolishly) sold. I also had a Gibson les Paul custom which was also sold. My current guitar is a Yamaha SG2000. Nice guitar but it isn't a Gibbo neck profile so whether I keep it remains to be seen.
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul 25 / 50; Gibson ES345 1959 Reissue; Yamaha AE12; Yamaha SG2000: Fender "Roland Ready" Strat; Epiphone ES345 "Special"; Epiphone Les Paul '56; Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus; Epiphone G400; Cimar Classical.
AMPS & EFFECTS: Various effects. Fav amps - Bugera V5 RAT tri-rec combo and Mesa Maverick 1 x 12.

#2 User is offline   damian 

• The Guitar Whisperer
  • LocationIn The Misty Mountains With My Black Dog

Posted 25 September 2011 - 03:08 PM

Friends don't let friends sell guitars.....Especially Gibby LP Customs.........[crying] ...

Welcome to the Forums....There are many Londoners on here......[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ......
I use Atlas Stands because they are the best................. http://www.facebook.com/atlasstands ......American Made.......Rewind Pickups; MIA and the Best.......
.....................Codtone Pedals from OZ......................................." Ya'll remove hats, please "...................................Motor City Pickups......................................
.................................." I hate it when people compare god with jimmy page, I mean, he's good and all, but he's no jimmy page."..................................
Music Consultant, Songwriter........................................ - THE MENSA PRETZEL LOGIC PROJECT - .............................. Advocate for the Disabled, Gentle Hellraiser.

" It occured to me by intuition, and music was the driving force behind that intuition. My discovery was the result of musical perception." Einstein on his theory of relativity.
" Music is a higher relevation than all wisdom and philosophy. Music is the electrical soil in which the spirit lives, thinks and invents." Ludwig von Beethoven
" There's nothing remarkable about it. All one has to do is hit the right keys at the right time and the instrument plays itself.' Johann Sebastian Bach
" Playing scales is like a boxer skipping rope or a punching bag. It's not the thing itself; it's preparatory to the activity." Barney Kessel
" After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." Aldous Hoxley
" There's a fine line between genius and insanity. I have crossed this line." Pianist Oscar Lavant
" Music came before language; musical grunts became words." Damian (copyright)
" I know how to get there, all I've got to do is keep playing." Jimmy Page
" Without music, life would be a mistake." Friedrich Nietzsche
" Music is an outburst of the soul." Fredrick Deluis
" Rock and Roll forever, man." Unknown
" Damian's cool." NeoConMan
" WTF ??? " dem00n
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Flight959 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationHorsham W.Sussex

Posted 26 September 2011 - 11:23 AM

Welcome!

Where aboots in London are you?

Regards..

#4 User is offline   Pin 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:32 AM

View PostFlight959, on 26 September 2011 - 11:23 AM, said:

Welcome!

Where aboots in London are you?

Regards..

Over East side Flight - Newham to be precise. I've lived most of my life in London except for a couple of years when I worked "up North".
GUITARS: Gibson Les Paul 25 / 50; Gibson ES345 1959 Reissue; Yamaha AE12; Yamaha SG2000: Fender "Roland Ready" Strat; Epiphone ES345 "Special"; Epiphone Les Paul '56; Epiphone Les Paul Tribute Plus; Epiphone G400; Cimar Classical.
AMPS & EFFECTS: Various effects. Fav amps - Bugera V5 RAT tri-rec combo and Mesa Maverick 1 x 12.

#5 User is offline   pippy 

• LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:52 AM

Welcome to the forum (from yet another living in London).

SG 2000's are very fine instruments in their own right. I, for one, would love to see a snap of it when you have time!

Here's how;
http://forum.gibson....to-post-photos/

P.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users