Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Studio from 2011 or 2007

duaffe

Hi,

i want to buy me an Gibson Les Paul Studio Faded in Worn Brown. Our local dealer jut got 2. The one is from 2011 ant the other ist from 2007. What do you think ist the better one ?

I played both and i think the 2011 sound better but looks and feel so "cheap" and the 2007 sound not so "bright" like the 2011 but the 2007 look like she is better quality ?

If anyone got a tip for me ?

And sorry ´bout me bad english, i´m german....

The only true way to test a guitar is onstage with a band...

Studio finishes are a bit variable...but it is a great value for money guitar

IMO the wood and electrics are most important....

PS...Is it time for Schumy to retire after the crash-out in Singapore?....

V

:-({|=

If one of those two guitars you are definitely going to purchase you will need to decide which is more immportant the way it looks or the way it sounds. My personal opinion would be sound.

I own the 2011 model

SDC11679.jpg

The 2011 model is chambered, with BB Pro's 1959 C profile neck & the pots are set into a circuit board. I still managed to get the peter green mod in and it works fine. It also has a maple cap on mahogany

The 2007 is all Mahogany and a none circuit board pot area im not sure on this versions other specs but I hear they are drilled for weight relief and possibly come with hardcases (Instead of just the bag)

Some of the studio fadeds came with 490/498 combo.....some with burstbucker pros,

not SURE gibson are SURE what they put where!!!......

Sounds to me these studios have different pups,.......

Never mind what they look like (unless thats a huge issue for you)...,go with the sound..........which pups sound better (to you?)...

go with THAT guitar...........

Should always try a guitar blindfold!!!

(just my op).

Ok, then i think i get the 2011. They sounds a littlebit better. But on the 2011 is no "Studio" Label on the trussrodcover and it got "Kluson deluxe" tuner and not "Gibson deluxe" tuner. But i think that´s ok.

I will make one last soundcheck and then i tell you witch one i my new Paula....

And by the way both got´s the Burstbucker Pro. The only difference between the both must be the Top. The 2007 "mahagony" the 2011 "maple. Got this be the reason that the 2007 sound a littlebit "muddy" and the 2011 more "brighter" ?

Ok, then i think i get the 2011. They sounds a littlebit better. But on the 2011 is no "Studio" Label on the trussrodcover and it got "Kluson deluxe" tuner and not "Gibson deluxe" tuner. But i think that´s ok.

I will make one last soundcheck and then i tell you witch one i my new Paula....

And by the way both got´s the Burstbucker Pro. The only difference between the both must be the Top. The 2007 "mahagony" the 2011 "maple. Got this be the reason that the 2007 sound a littlebit "muddy" and the 2011 more "brighter" ?

yeah, maple caps do add brightness.........thats why the S.G. (imo) is such a good guitar for ''riff heaven''!.....solid mahogany...

Anyway enjoy your new guitar........as said before on here,the studio fadeds are great value guitars.

• 2 months later...

I just got a 2011 worn brown LPS. I got it on a black Friday sale for $650. I'm coming from a maple finger board Tele so I love the baked maple finger board. I don't mind the worn finish because my 30 year old tele looks like its been used for batting practice. I figure that the warn brown will get better looking with age as it racks up the miles.

The strings on the '07 may be quite corroded and 'dead' sounding.

I would buy whichever guitar feels nicer in your hands and has the fattest, most resonant unplugged tone (assuming you can test both with new strings.)

Alan

Just Jelly's $0.02 on the "go for the sound, not the looks" advice.

I happen to agree with this 100%, and I'd like to tell you why. In September or so of 2009, I bought a "faded" all-mahogany Les Paul Studio with P-90s. At the time, it was supposed to have been part of a "limited run" of 400 instruments. I bit, and shelled out $1,550 + tax to Long and McQuade for one. The finish started to bleed and rub off the instrument almost immediately, but the action, neck width and thickness, fretwork and tone were to die for. I liked it so much, I bought a second and strung it up with flatwounds. A couple of months later, Gibson released MORE of these "limited" guitars and dropped the street price to $1,150 (the ba$ta... OOPS!)

The second instrument was even better than the first in terms of build quality, sound, and playability... But I still HATE that CHEESY "WORN = NOT-QUITE -FINISHED" lacquer wipe with a passion that defies description. And losing $800 on supposedly "limited editions" doesn't ring my chimes too much, either... The price of the Tributes has dropped the bar even further! I eventually traded the first specimen and kept the second.

BUT, know what... in the studio, when I just have to have "That Quintessential Gibson Tone", I always reach for that ugly guitar first, and it never fails to please me in every way except the look. Hell, that ugly finish doesn't even FEEL that bad now that it has a few hundred hours on it, but it's as ugly as the butt end of a hippopotamus! I love my Custom Shop ES 137, too, but it doesn't have the mojo of the "Shell Game Limited Edition".

I have another very excellent, fully-finished, maple-capped Studio with 490R/498T pickups hat is also very much a keeper, but I would have to part with it before I let go of the "Ugly Duckling".

So the answer is yes, I also advise you and anybody else reading this thread to buy with your hands, ears, and mind wide open. +:-@

[Here endeth the lesson!] [-o<

J/W

B)

Archived