Gibson Brands Forums

bluemoan

Hi, this is my first post. I live in north-eastern France ...so , I apologize for my english language which may be a little bit "rough". I play an Advanced Jumbo since march 2007 and think it’s the best guitar I’ve ever played. I like to play fingerpicking : blues, ragtime, Gary Davis, J. Kaukonen stuff …

I plan to order the "Ellipse Matrix Blend" for my AJ and I'd like to know if somebody has already used this pick-up? I have a few questions about it :

- does it fit the roundhole?

- the top bracing patterns do not prevent pick-up installation ?

- does the open saddle slot allow using the Matrix undersaddle pick-up?

- what kind of UST I have to order for that guitar (narrow #wide ?) I think it's the wide one but ...

Would you be kind enough to help for my purchase ?

Many Thanks

Best regards

welcome. france is lovely though i have only travelled to paris and the cote d'azur. too much wine. wow.

imho, i think the lr baggs i-beam or i-mix system is best. when used with the para di, it has the truest acoustic sound i've heard. let your ear be your guide though by checking out stuff at shops in your area.

Welcome Blue from another AJ lover....

I had a K & K Mini Western pickup installed in my AJ and it is the best pickup I have currently. I have a LR Baggs UST and a Highlander UST in my other two guitars and while they are nice, neither sounds as natural as the K & K in my Gibby. Since the AJ has an open ended saddle, although it is possible to install a UST, it is not recommended and my luthier was the one to suggest the K & K Mini. The K & K is a soundboard transducer with three pickups that mount (best with superglue) to the soundboard by the bridge. While it is possible to install yourself as many on this forum probably have, I am a total waste when it comes to doing this kind of thing. Thank God for luthiers!!! I had it installed and the total cost for the pickup and install was under $150.

It has plenty of volume by itself but since it is passive (no need for a 9 volt battery inside your guitar) I plug into a LR Baggs PARA DI box in front of my Genz Benz Shenendoah amp and it sounds heavenly!!!

Congrats on having a great guitar and again welcome to a great group of guitar lovers!!!

K and K mini western

Schatten Artist

Either of these is a non-invasive installation.

Do not use an under saddle pickup in your AJ. If you want to wreck the guitar, you can simply smash it or burn it.

Sorry for the strong opinion, but I get really disappointed when people butcher these beautiful instruments.

+ 1 for the k&k pure western mini.

I have one in my j-45, what I really like about it besides the sound, is the fact, that exept for the output-jack, it looks and feels like there is no pick-up at all.

But you will need a preamp to compete with active pickup systems. I use the k&k xlr preamp.

If you don't get K&k products in France, try www.wonderwood.de

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

A big thanks to all of you for answering and giving helpful advices to that “lost distant frenchie".

Vincent Wynne from Gibson Customer Service confirmed that the UST wasn’t recommended for the AJ due to the open saddle slot. So, you made me change my mind and give up with the idea of buying the “Fishman Ellipse blend”.

According to Taylor player, ballcorner and littlejohnny, I ordered the k&k pure western mini two days ago, at http://www.wonderwood.de/ and I’m still waiting for it (I think it will be on its way Monday or Thuesday …Germany isn’t that far!). I also purchased a lr-Baggs para-di preamp (Let’s be crazy! thanks Taylor!) which I received this morning (ordered 10/20/08 /> arrived 10/25/08… nice job USPS!).I’ve plugged it in my 50 W Acoustic Marshall amp using my Taylor 410 equipped with a Fishman UST and…and… :D I think I have a lot of work to do to understand how it works and to obtain a nice sound. However, the Taylor is no longer my “favorite” guitar and I’m really in a hurry to have the AJ settled up with K & K pick-up & preamp!!! I’ll give you more info within a few days!

Very big thanks for your warm welcome on the forum.

All the best to you all.

Gérald

TWilson - I aveha tnoa eardha hatta orfa earsya.

Ha! You were on top of that one' date=' Nik!! Remember as a kid talking like that for hours or at least until your dad gave you a little slap in the back of the head saying "Knock that off!"[/color']

Archived