Gibson Brands Forums

How can I purchase the eSonic2 preamp by itself?

Jesse G

Got a used (mint-like new) Masterbilt AJ500me from musicians friend and the preamp doesn't turn on. Replaced batteries(yes, they are in the right way) and it doesn't turn on at all, no lights or anything. I don't think I'm eligible for a warranty replacement for the preamp because I bought the guitar used and I don't want to swap it for another guitar because I'm in love with the sound. And unlike many masterbilts, the finish is PERFECT.

I just want to buy another eSonic2 preamp but the exact preamp isn't listed on Shadow's site. It's the only one that hooks up to both the nanomag and the nanoflex AND has a tuner. How can I purchase the esonic2 preamp by itself?

Read around on here, and you will find, that many people here despise the Esonic2 preamp and nano PU. But a few like it, so there you go. Personally, I cant stand it. Nothing but problems, and its rediculous. Epiphone should have never replaced the LR Baggs Element with that crap. Good luck replacing your Esonic2. I feel for you Bro.

Yeah, I did read about a lot of problems with that system here. :(

So you don't like the sound of the nanomag pickup? I think it's a little bit of an eyesore on that pretty guitar, for sure. I may replace it with a Baggs element, afterall. I have a tech looking at it right now and if it's not an easy fix maybe I'll go for a Element. Will suck to have a useless extra output jack and to lose the stereo capability.

So the tech said the preamp is shot. While I was there I played some other masterbilts as well as some really expensive guitars and they didn't compare to this guitar.

So, the element it is. I guess ill replace the preamp with the element stage pro, too so I don't have a useless preamp sitting there looking ugly without serving a purpose.

You cant go wrong with a Baggs Element PU. You will have to make sure the Baggs preamp will fit into the space of the Esonic2. If not, then you will have to have it custom fitted, which will cost you. Anyway, good luck, and keep us posted.

Okay... ditto on just getting the same guitar, used, and at a pretty decent price tag. The eSonic2 works fine on mine - there are other issues, but...

The way it strikes me is that it could easily be replaced by the esonic without messing much at all with the wood and its various holes on the guitar for the pickup system. Personally I'd leave the nanomag right where it is instead of messing with removing it. It's your money, your guitar. I'm also guessing - just a guess - that you almost could leave the bridge pickup intact and just mess with the wiring of the "new" preamp.

I'm not particularly bothered by the dual pickup thing, I guess, because I date back to an era when a mag pickup was how things were regardless that some companies tried to hide the whole thing except for teeny metal dots at the end of the fingerboard ... and big volume and a tone control knobs on an otherwise nice-looking top.

And... I've done the mag soundhole pickup thing for some 40 years with different guitars and pickups.

The reason I'd personally just go with the eSonic is simply because it should fit perfectly in the holes and stuff already on the guitar, but with fewer wires. My guess is that 80 percent of the problems with this setup is a matter of what look like really light-gauge wires and stuff. I see nothing wrong with the concept nor the sound, myself.

Are there better rigs out there? Probably. Are they drop-ins on this guitar? I doubt it very seriously. Are they worth the money? I think it's probably a matter of you pay your money and take your choice. Ads on everything proclaim they're better than anything else, so...

m

• 2 weeks later...

Actually there was a spam message the mods took out.

My major "pro" thing on here has reference to maintaining the least messing with the wood of the guitar - on the believe that the least intrusive solution probably is best even if the pickup isn't "best" by one opinion or another.

m

Well, if the Esonic2 works for you, and you like it, thats awesome, whatever works and sounds good, but as for myself and alot of others on here, the Esonic2 has given us nothing but trouble and grief.But, I hear when it works right, its a great PU system. I just would not know, so I stick with either Baggs or Fishman.

I think sometimes I'm less picky than some. But in other ways, perhaps I'm a lot more picky than some folks might consider.

In the olden days I added soundhole or specially-designed mag pups for flattops or archtops that didn't come with, or were designed for pickups. At most on the flattops I'd drill and reinforce a hole for a jack.

Then somewhere in the early 1970s I got two of the first AE guitars I'd ever seem - an Ovation Electric Legend steel and a Country Artist nylon. Both played well and still do. Depending on how they're played, I think they do as well as a lotta new stuff.

I've got a regular esonic on my inexpensive PR5E and had one with the reeeally inexpensive parlor version the PR4E. I got exceptional "gee that sounds good" from people who make their living playing or recording other people. I haven't tried the esonic2 "out" yet 'cuz the guitar needs some major setup, but what I hear from the amp sounds pretty decent.

One thing I always worked toward in the old days when I was adding pickups is that I didn't change or damage the wood any more than absolutely necessary. My mag pickup on the 12-string does not come out the endpin, though, and there's a hole in the side for the cord because that's my preference, but I still feel guilty about the extra hole.

With the Masterbilt, although it's not considered an expensive guitar, I think messing with the basic design is an error. I'd say basically the same thing regardless of brand or design.

E.g., why cut another hole? Why rip off a little mag pickup to expose what? Do you leave the little radio box on the top of the guitar or kludge up a patch for it? Do you remove everything that's there and then kludge in what's next? Leave the hole for the little radio control box? Cover it with silver tape or???

I dunno. I'm not in love with the 2. I see drawbacks in both the the design and the overall "quality' of build on the thing. Many may not have been installed well in the factory. Whatever...

But...

I'd rather see you buy something else if you're going to spend the same amount of money on a kludge as on a new AE. That's what I'd do if it came to that. Of if you feel you want something unavailable as an AE combination, buy a new straight acoustic and add what you want, 'cuz it may not cost any more than trying to get a decent "upgrade" and rebuild what's there.

m

• 6 months later...

Got a used (mint-like new) Masterbilt AJ500me from musicians friend and the preamp doesn't turn on. Replaced batteries(yes, they are in the right way) and it doesn't turn on at all, no lights or anything. I don't think I'm eligible for a warranty replacement for the preamp because I bought the guitar used and I don't want to swap it for another guitar because I'm in love with the sound. And unlike many masterbilts, the finish is PERFECT.

I just want to buy another eSonic2 preamp but the exact preamp isn't listed on Shadow's site. It's the only one that hooks up to both the nanomag and the nanoflex AND has a tuner. How can I purchase the esonic2 preamp by itself?

I have had nothing but problems with this. Epiphone replaced my guitar after 9 months because of this. Now the pre amp on the replacement guitar is gone bad, not even two years later,

I have had nothing but problems with this. Epiphone replaced my guitar after 9 months because of this. Now the pre amp on the replacement guitar is gone bad, not even two years later,

UPDATE: I called and spoke with Benton in Nashville concerning my ESonic2 preamp going out...and within a week to ...I received a new module in the mail...My hat is off to Benton for the quick fix and great customer service.

UPDATE: I called and spoke with Benton in Nashville concerning my ESonic2 preamp going out...and within a week to ...I received a new module in the mail...My hat is off to Benton for the quick fix and great customer service.

msp_thumbup.gif

Good for you!

My Esonic2 in my 5 yr. old AJ500RENS works flawlessly and sounds phenomenal. Guess I got lucky with this one. msp_biggrin.gif

msp_thumbup.gif

Good for you!

My Esonic2 in my 5 yr. old AJ500RENS works flawlessly and sounds phenomenal. Guess I got lucky with this one. msp_biggrin.gif

To Mixeasy: That is great. I hope to have a success story like yours. This is the second problem I've gone through with the pre amp. First time Epi had me send my guitar to them, and they replaced the guitar (which hurt because it was sweet) I was discouraged when this second one went out.

I've a hunch that the esonic stuff is somewhat under-engineered.

That's apparently brought a batch of unhappy folks on the forum - but I dunno how many others have done quite well with it. Conceptually it's a good idea that combines some of the best of the piezo type thing with a mag pickup that was all I could get in the olden days anyway.

Seriously, though, I don't think any of the sexy bells-and-whistles preamps I've seen as up to the general build quality of the guitars that they're cut into. They're plastic, for heaven's sake, with pots and wiring and stuff that wouldn't last long as a bit of automobile control systems.

That includes all brands, although I 'spose you could put a $400 AE rig onto a $100 guitar and argue otherwise.

And I still think most of us are better off thinking about our AE decisions first - and we'll be less likely to be disappointed. Buy an AE and you're getting a pretty tender instrument compared to the average mag pickup "electric." Buy an acoustic and add some kind of "electric" element and you're likely to pay a bit more and you're very likely voiding the warranty.

Neither solution is perfect, IMHO. I've done both. But note my last 3 have been Epi AEs, one went back with a neck problem and its replacement and my two others seem to be doing well, including the double-pickup jobbie.

I'm not a shill for Gibson/Epi - but I'm also not one to howl when reality doesn't match perfection because I never expected it in the first place.

m

• 7 years later...

I have a masterbuilt d500rccc with grover pickups and gold hardware; this is one great guitar; it's equipped with the esonic 2 system preamp and nanomag and nanoflex pickups; recently the volumn control stopped working; have toadjust volumn through mixer; trying to contact shadow electronics for further action; i'll tell you one thing ;I tried another masterbuilt from guitar center equipped with a fishman pre amp; it was terrible; esonic is on another level ; great pickups ; just have to solve preamp problem;

• 6 months later...

Interested,as  volume control also stopped working on Epiphone Masterbilt Shadow e Sonic2 preamp.Not sure if it's just happened,or if I've played gigs with it.What advice?Above says "adjust volume at mixer"........will a full signal still get through with volume control just "swivelling freely"?

Thanks for any help.

On 8/16/2020 at 1:02 AM, Gordon Bell said:

Interested,as  volume control also stopped working on Epiphone Masterbilt Shadow e Sonic2 preamp.Not sure if it's just happened,or if I've played gigs with it.What advice?Above says "adjust volume at mixer"........will a full signal still get through with volume control just "swivelling freely"?

Thanks for any help.

Seems to me that if the volume control is unendingly turning on the guitar then part of the wheel assembly had to have broken off or became stripped from the rest of the mechanism.  If that is the case, it’s impact on the volume would be a matter of where the control was positioned when that occurred, in terms of its effect on the guitar’s volume.  If the wheel stripped while the volume control was in the middle volume position then it would have very little effect as that middle ground of volume would then be pretty much normally supplement by volume control on the gain on the external mixer or volume control on the amp.  Likewise, if it stripped while in the high volume position on the guitar, then you’d have to turn down the gain on the external mixer or volume on the amp when plugging in from those devises middle positions.  The opposite would occur if it stripped while on a quieter spot on the guitar’s control, necessitating your external gain or amp volume having to be turned up.    The balancing act of gain and volume would just need to be rebalanced.  Although, the worst thing would be if the guitar’s volume control, stripped at the zero position, leaving no sound outputting to be externally gained or compensated for from the amp’s volume.   Not as severe, but still a potential problem would be the guitar’s volume wheel leaving the guitar at its loudest point, as it could cause some distortion even when an external gain or amp volume is turned way low to compensate.  But those are the only two worrisome extremes, it would seem in term of how it would sound or not sound with an external gain or amp volume control compensating for loss of the volume being able to be adjusted from the guitar.  That is not to say that the nuisance factor of the stripped volume wheel would go away.  And, of course provided that  the broken wheel didn’t result in any crackling sound occurring in the sound or part of the mechanism shorting out at the same time the wheel broke, causing no sound output,  hopefully doesn’t occur.

I rarely ever adjust my guitars from the guitar controls, only from the external gain and/or amp controls.  So, with that in mind, you can tell where my response is coming from.

On my he other hand, keep in mind, an option is always to just take the guitar to a reputable repairman to install a different pickup device, despite the repair cost.   Unless you can get Epiphone to replace the pickup under warrantee.  (I have no clue if a third party’s pickup is covered under their warrantee.)

Hope this helps.

QM aka “Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark