Gibson Brands Forums

My LP Pics

Tim Plains

I've always dug those Silverbursts. Nice couple 'o axes you got there. Music store here in town has an '80's Silverburst Standard, which I thought was neat cuz I'd never seen a Standard in that color, ebony fretboard and EMG's (81/85 combo), pretty nice guitar, plays like butter, sounded REAL nice through a Fender Twin.

Love the sound, love the feel, love the look...the only hard decision for me was black or gold. It's really light for a LP.

The P-90 does produce a hum when the gain is cranked...but that's a common issue with P-90s. The kill switch is a cool, but semi-useless feature. I love how it's a high-end guitar and a beater all in one.

If you're thinking about buying one, keep in mind that you can buy a Studio for an extra $200. Or the Studio w/BFG electronics, if you can still find one. I chose this BFG over the Studio because I wanted something that felt and sounded different.

As an unfinished guitar, this thing is tops! Definitely glad I bought it. I know it's not everybody's 'cup of tea' but you should definitely try it out. The tone will surprise you. I think a lot of people didn't give it a chance because it's unfinished. Not your dad's Les Paul...that's for sure!

If you do try one out, let me know what you think of it.

Tim

Archived