Gibson Brands Forums

Adjustments for Eb Tuning

Ken Rayba

I have a 335, with a stop tailpiece, I use 10's, and we just started playing in Eb tuning. Is there any changes on the set up I should make? I haven't played it out yet, but playing it at home it doesn't really go out of tune that much. That is the only concern I have. The action is still good, and the strings don't feel that loose.

Anybody else ever do this? My Tele has 9's and it stays in tune, I played a few Gigs with it in Eb tuning.

A lot of Blues guys used that tuning. I have a setting on my TU 2 tuner for that and my 335 has no issues and I have 9.5s on it. I tune down a whole stop for Trower stuff and I get no buzzes and I don't use the huge strings he does.

It is easier on the vocals, that is the main reason bands do it. I know if you use heavier gauge strings like Stevie Ray Vaughn did, the Eb tuning makes them easier to play and bend.

I did use my ES 335 on a couple Gig dates with the Eb tuning and didn't have any problems.

I have a ES 345 just like the one in the picture. In fact, I had Gibson make me a nameplate like the Trini Lopez model had, and the Barney Kessel that fit in the opening of the trapeze tailpiece, and I installed it. Heck that was back in the 70's. I purchased the ES 345 brand new back in 76'.

Archived