Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson songwriter deluxe studio vs standard

schnarz25

Hi everyone, I've been looking into getting a new acoustic and in my searching and playing have come to the Gibson songwriter deluxe. I've only played the studio but I've heard people say that if you have the money go for the standard. Any real reason to spend the extra $500? I've been playing alot of bluegrass with a band performing at resteraunts and such. I've heard people say that for bluegrass Martin is the only way to go. I played some similarly priced martins and found that the songwriter was really the best playing and sounding guitar to me. So if you guys could help me figure out if I should just get the studio or save some more for the standard then that would be great. I don't see how you could make a guitar much better than that studio though :)

The Studio is really nice. The difference, beyond the bling/inlays/binding, is the pickup system - LR Baggs Element (~ $130) in the Studio versus Fishman Ellipse Aura (~ $300). Some like the look of extra bling, some like a more basic look. If you're interested in amping the guitar, check out the differences in the pickup systems. If not, sounds like your happy with the Studio and that's what counts - how YOU feel about the guitar. I wish you the best in your quest. . B)

Actually, unless its changed in the last 12 months the pickup in the SWD Studio is a Fishman Prefix Pro, which is a great pickup, especially combined with a fishman aura spectrum.

Personally I prefer the look of the Studio, as I looove double parallelograms on the fretboard and the natural finish. The sunburst doesnt work for me on the SWD, but hey, thats just me.

The Studio is really nice. The difference, beyond the bling/inlays/binding, is the pickup system - LR Baggs Element (~ $1309) in the Studio versus Fishman Ellipse Aura (~ $300). Some like the look of extra bling, some like a more basic look. If you're interested in amping the guitar, check out the differences in the pickup systems. If not, sounds like your happy with the Studio and that's what counts - how YOU feel about the guitar. I wish you the best in your quest. . B)

Actually, unless its changed in the last 12 months the pickup in the SWD Studio is a Fishman Prefix Pro ....

Take a note Gibson - EA says your spec sheet is wrong on the website - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Songwriter-Deluxe-Studio/Specs.aspx

Wouldn't be the first time. . [glare]

Actually it seems its prefix plus on the cut away version (which mine is) and the Baggs element on the non cutaway, so I think the specs sheet is correct. But im still curious whether the nut is bone or not on the studio as per my other thread ?

Take a note Gibson - EA says your spec sheet is wrong on the website - http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Square-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Songwriter-Deluxe-Studio/Specs.aspx

Wouldn't be the first time. . [glare]

Hi.

I have a 07 SWD for which today's equivalent would be a Standard? I think. Mine's a cutaway with Fishman electronics. I gig with it 3 or 4 times a month. I love it. I currently have no real desire to buy another acoustic as it serves me perfectly. Love the gold bling and the rosewood chocolate growl.

Don't play bluegrass because I'm not good enough and most people in the known will point you at Martin. Go for what suits you. You won't go too far wrong with a Songwriter.

Wait ,hold on. I am the proud owner of a Standard and I'm really glad I bought the upgraded model. The fit and finish on the guitar is extraordinary. They use hide glue - bone nut - don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I've compared my guitar with a few Studio models and ....it just sounds better. The guitar sings...the sustain and overtones ...I can't say enough about. To me, I feel I've got a guitar that looks, feels and plays like it comes from a much smaller shop. The studio....well , they are hanging on the all of every music store......So, I suggest the Standard....you will not be disappointed...good luck uote name='schnarz25' timestamp='1319224251' post='1030501']

Thanks for the help guys. Looks like it's gonna be the studio :)

Wait ,hold on. I am the proud owner of a Standard and I'm really glad I bought the upgraded model. The fit and finish on the guitar is extraordinary. They use hide glue - bone nut - don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I've compared my guitar with a few Studio models and ....it just sounds better. The guitar sings...the sustain and overtones ...I can't say enough about. To me, I feel I've got a guitar that looks, feels and plays like it comes from a much smaller shop. The studio....well , they are hanging on the all of every music store......So, I suggest the Standard....you will not be disappointed...good luck

Wait ,hold on. I am the proud owner of a Standard and I'm really glad I bought the upgraded model. The fit and finish on the guitar is extraordinary. They use hide glue - bone nut - don't know how much of a difference it makes, but I've compared my guitar with a few Studio models and ....it just sounds better. The guitar sings...the sustain and overtones ...I can't say enough about. To me, I feel I've got a guitar that looks, feels and plays like it comes from a much smaller shop. The studio....well , they are hanging on the all of every music store......So, I suggest the Standard....you will not be disappointed...good luck

I haven't tried the standard but the studio was so nice I just don't see a need to spend $500 more if I'm happy with the studio. I've been reading and I think I'm going to give it the bone treatment eventually anyways.

I know this is probably a stupid question but if I buy this guitar from guitar center should I take it to a professional and get it set-up right away? If I do get it set-up by a professional will there be a significant difference in playability or action?

Tough to say, not knowing exactly how it's set up a GC or what your refereed set-up is. A good set-up by a decent tech is always a good idea though!!

The studio is sweet, enjoy the hunt and the resulting guitar!!

Oh, and if you love the studio then it IS, in fact, the right one for you!!

I've been playing alot of bluegrass with a band performing at resteraunts and such. I've heard people say that for bluegrass Martin is the only way to go.

I disagree. I've been playing my SongBird (pre-cursor to the SongWriter) in a bluegrass band for years now. I've blown away many a Martin guitar! (see recent topic that I posted - Outdoor music festival)

I imagine the SWD might give the Martins a good run in a bluegrass Jam when playing rhythm.

It might not have the cannon like bass of the Martins but has better clarity and not seperation than the Martin 'chunk' of sound that comes from them when strummed quite hard.

I disagree. I've been playing my SongBird (pre-cursor to the SongWriter) in a bluegrass band for years now. I've blown away many a Martin guitar! (see recent topic that I posted - Outdoor music festival)

Martin players somehow got their foot in the Bluegrass door probably largely because of the thumpy bass and players who got used to the necks and feel of the D series. That's how it was way back in the early '60s and before, it seems to me.

But part of that was the available amplification which was mostly relatively inexpensive tube PA systems with what we'd consider lousy speakers.

I think we're in a different world today even with totally acoustic instruments as opposed to AE. Most PA systems have a bit better mixers and control, and are solid state which makes a bit of difference in the mids, IMHO. Add AE capability to things and there's a potential for the Gibson string balance to do well.

Don't forget either how Mother Maybelle and a lot of other early recording and radio era pickers used archtops because they worked well with that sorta technology - even though they were pure acoustics.

m

Thanks for the input guys. You've all been a big help. :)

About the SWD in bluegrass, I personally think it will be a great bluegrass guitar. I played several martins and several taylors and found that the Gibson had a more balanced tone. The taylors were way to bright and the martins just didn't have the clarity of the SWD. I know martin is the traditional bluegrass guitar and that I'll probably be looked down upon by the traditionalists for having something other than a Martin but that SWD just blew everything else away, IMO

The standard is vastly different from the studio. Better top(AA), compound radius neck(plays as easy as my lp custom), smaller headstock w/mini grovers(to save weight-for perfect balance) and very understated bling(studio is a little too flashy for my taste) and all the stuff above. Blows away every guitar I tried over the summer and I tried all of 'em.

I've been playing out with it for about a month and having the time of my life. My search is over. [thumbup]

I have to disagree with everyone who says the Standard sounds better than the Studio. I've tried 3 different Standards, all with cutaways. In addition to my Studio, also with a cutaway, I've played 3 others.

In all cases the Studios sounded better to my ears. Much better bottom and overall better sound balance. I'm very happy with my choice.

To the OP: if the guitar hasn't been setup by a tech you should get it done. The clarity and sustain improved a lot after adding bone saddle and pins.

another quick question, on guitar center's website to order the SWD studio(I'm not ordering it online I'm just curious) the options to buy it in say antique natural gold hardware or standard, both with serial#. so my question is, what's the difference? the standard version is only at some stores and antique natural gold hardware is at others. I'm not talking about the difference between studio and standard. I guess I played the standard because that's the only one that's at the store I went to. here's the page http://www.guitarcenter.com/Gibson-Songwriter-Deluxe-Studio-EC-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-101393916-i1166417.gc . thanks for the help

disregard my last post.

so I just watched some youtube videos and the radiused fretboard on the standard seems like it would make a big difference in the feel and playability. Now that I think about it on the upper frets the studio's action was a little high. Can this be remedied through a better set-up and still stay buzz free or is the radiused fretboard the "cure"? Have any of you guys ever taken that leap of faith and ordered a guitar without playing it? anybody know what guitar centers policy on buying and returning a guitar is in case I end up liking the studio better? I live in Florida and the closest standard is in Tennessee so I wont be playing it any time soon.

I got mine on ebay with a 3 day trial. Only took 3 minutes to realize the standard is the sh*t. I have the natual cutaway. It's got this fabulous flamed maple binding and yes, the radiused neck is to die for and the reason I got it. It's the only one I played that didn't fight me. Just wonderful feel and fat pure tone. Instantly made me a better player.

Not sure why youre asking this as the action is easily adjusted and should not influence your purchase. However I will say that the neck on the SWD Studio is not as comfortable as on my other Gibsons, I find it somewhat chunky and it took me a while to get a hang of it.

Hmm, I didn't know Jerry Cantrell played one. That's pretty sweet.

Here's a question for you guys that have played both the standard and studio. Was there a significant difference in actions between the two?

Not sure why youre asking this as the action is easily adjusted and should not influence your purchase. However I will say that the neck on the SWD Studio is not as comfortable as on my other Gibsons, I find it somewhat chunky and it took me a while to get a hang of it.

Hmm, I didn't know Jerry Cantrell played one. That's pretty sweet.

Here's a question for you guys that have played both the standard and studio. Was there a significant difference in actions between the two?

Archived