Gibson Brands Forums

Opinions on . . . . .?

Dev n Music

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I prefer plastic picks. I am also in the habit of buying pink picks. Helps prevent theft, and if the thief gets caught, it's easy to get him to give them back.

Does anyone else go to the top of the dryer when they're out of picks? My wife washers, dries and stacks them for me.

Fender 355 Heavy.

It's what I got used to as a youngster because it had three corners so when one broke you just rotate it and keep on movin'.

I tried a lot of others but I think my hand is to used the size and is reluctant to change.

• 2 months later...

I've been on a pick quest forever, and my likes/tastes keep evolving and sometimes rotating back and forth and back to picks I used to use and moved-on from...

Right now I'm into the Clayton Acetal .63mm, The Clayton Ultem .56mm, and Dunlop Ultex .60mm and the Clayton Durex .60mm.

I like all my picks to be of the over-sized rounded-triangle style too.

All of those are sold in both standard pick style and the over-sized rounded-triangle. Search 'em up on Sweetwater, MF, GC or any of the big online sellers and you can look 'em over for yerself...

I can't stand cellulose picks because I tear 'em too easy. If they wear a little and a small indentation on the edge appears I can catch it on the string if I don't hit real flat/perpendicular and tear those cellulose picks clean in half...

I hate when that happens...

the Clayton Durex is their version of and nearly identical to the Dunlop Tortex picks... The orange color is the one I use...

• 10 months later...

Really like 'star picks'.

The yellow and green ones specifically, perfect sizes for me. The hole really helps keep them between my fingers. I've never had one break and they wear down very evenly and without chipping, seem to last forever, and they're a good deal too. I'll probably be buying those for as long as they're making them...

I currently use Dunlop totex 1.14mm (purple ones) as for metal ones I do like them but I'm always scared of the damage they can do with any stray picking ( rip up the paintwork in no time) .

• 1 month later...

I've been using EBE Universal alien guitar picks again lately. First used them pretty much right after I started playing guitar back in 2000 when I was 8 when I went to get some guitar picks to try out, as everybody does when they first start out, and I loved them. Lost the ones I've had since then, though. Eventually, that one music store quit carrying them and didn't see them at any other store, so I thought they were discontinued for years. So, I tried a lot of other different picks and eventually started using the Dunlop Tortex's for a long time. Then about 2 or 3 months ago, I started thinking about those EBE Universal alien picks I loved so much when I first started playing and decided to see if they were still being made and found their site and that you can still get them and I was like, "Heck yeah!" and ordered me some. Been using them again ever since.

bPXNv3h.jpg

• 1 month later...

I've used Gibson triangular for about 25 years.

Usually 'Mediums' but the gauge size isnt very consistant, so sometimes I'll pick out an occasional 'Heavy' if it feels closer to the right size.

I've found up to .004" variation in the past.

I've been wondering what these very expensive picks are like (such as Blue Chip). But havnt taken the plunge yet.

• 2 weeks later...

80+% of the time I use Fender 351 Premium (medium gauge).

For fast alternate or sweep picking a friend recommended V-Picks. Since any help with these techniques would be a blessing for me I tried them out and love them. They felt silly thick at first but my ability to play fast shred licks was vastly improved. I don't use them for strumming or acoustic guitar and still prefer Fender 351 Premiums for most of my playing. If you're a shredder and willing to spend dollars rather than cents per pick I do recommend them for this specific purpose. I prefer the V-Picks "Screamer" model and have several in ruby red. http://v-picks.com/

Interesting. The thickness bothers me though.

I always match the pick to the strings, liking a minimal deflection in the pick, so the heavier the strings, the thicker pick needed. The thickest I use is .038" for my archtop.

I have taken the plunge and ordered a Blue Chip. I'll post up at some point.

Archived