Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio question about price vs colours

MrPenguin9

Yes, the fireburst, or any of the glossy models for that matter, have a complete finish on them, it's thicker and way more attractive (to me), and the glossy models come with 490R / 498T pickups, and the faded comes with Burstbucker pickups :) other than that, they are essentially the same lol. Spend the $400 extra dollars.....you won't regret it!

Yes, the fireburst, or any of the glossy models for that matter, have a complete finish on them, it's thicker and way more attractive (to me), and the glossy models come with 490R / 498T pickups, and the faded comes with Burstbucker pickups :) other than that, they are essentially the same lol. Spend the $400 extra dollars.....you won't regret it!

Ok Thanks! =D> I love the look of the fireburst but didn't want to pay $400 just for an awesome paint job. I'll go for the fireburst. :)

Good move! That guitar will be WAY prettier than any faded model, and the finish will hold up so much better over time, not to mention the resale value will be higher than the faded models too! AND.....I LOVE the 490R/498T pickups in my studio! Once the sticky-ness of the glossy finish clears up (usually in a month or so) you will love the slick-smooth feel of that lacquered neck too ;)

I own both types of Studio and their are pros and cons

Faded Studio

+ Bustbucker PROS (Same as 08 Standard)

+ They resonate better as the wood isn't chocked with Nitro

+ ONLY £600

+ Sounds JUST as good as an 08 Standard

/ Pickups are bright and clear with nice meat when required

- Finish is thin and easily chipped

- Only available in Brown & Cherry (Blue & Black out soon)

- No hardcase included (Just a £30 Gigbag)

- Only available in a 50's neck option

Resale Value £400-450 (£150-200 Loss)

Normal Studio

+ Nice standard multi layer finish and colour coded back

+ A multitude of finishes to chose from

+ Includes a Hardcase

+ Available with 50 & 60's necks

/ Pickups are deep with a mellow & cruchy output

- Costs an extra £400 - 600

- Weighs more than a Faded

Resale Value £600-800 (Rougly a £300-400 Loss dependant on what Studio you have)

The most commonly resold Studios are the Cherry & black so go more for the Fireburst, Striped & Signatures like Joe Bonamassa as they hold their value better

Archived