Gibson Brands Forums

what year is my guitar and what is its value?

liminlime_2005

i have an acoustic gibson epiphone guitar that i know nothing about. it was givin to me as a gift. i have researched on gibsons site how to code the serial number but i have know clue. hoping someone here can help.

model NV-185

Number 7840556 these numbers was on a sticker right under the strings inside the guitar.

numbers 82 5C 26 was printed in ink inside the guitar, was kind of hard to see these numbers because of the location.

T

Limin, this is the correct sub-forum to post this inquiry so I'll add your photos here:

SpotlightAcoustic1.jpg

SpotlightAcoustic2.jpg

SpotlightAcoustic3.jpg

SpotlightAcoustic4.jpg

It does appear to be a Spotlight based on the headstock inlay, but I'm no expert on that series.

PS, it would help I think, if you would take the pictures in daylight so the shutter speed would be fast enough not to be blurry.

Also, a shot of any markings or labels - inside the sound hole, back of the headstock, etc.

Epiphone had a line of guitars with a NO nomenclature for Nova or Noveau.

Not sure if it is related to this model.

Can you get a clean shot of the sound hole label?

My guess it is post a post-Norlin product, built after Gibson Music Inc. bought the guitar line back from Norlin Industries in about 1986.

At this point the new owners were looking for innovation and market attention. Some radical stuff was put out. Some with plastic backs, to curry favor from the Ovation crowd, some with highly arched backs and no back braces.

This one looks to be fairly standard construction.

i have an acoustic gibson epiphone guitar that i know nothing about. it was givin to me as a gift. i have researched on gibsons site how to code the serial number but i have know clue. hoping someone here can help.

model NV-185

Number 7840556 these numbers was on a sticker right under the strings inside the guitar.

numbers 82 5C 26 was printed in ink inside the guitar, was kind of hard to see these numbers because of the location.

T

Try this Epiphone serial number dating link:

http://guitardaterproject.org/epiphone.aspx

another option:

http://home.provide.net/~cfh/epiphone.html

good luck

Archived