Gibson Brands Forums

The Big Four

Californiaman

So I ask you.

Anthrax's Worship Music is their latest.

Metallica's latest sucks (at least that's the general concensus).

Megadeath's TH1RT3EN is up for debate still as it is as new as Anthrax's

Slayer hasn't done anything since World Painted Blood in 2009.

There it is. Discuss.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Megadeth all the way for me. Some may not like Mustaine's vocals or his personality but, over time, his band have been musically and technically superior. They have had their commercial phase but have got over it with some cracking albums of late. The only downside for me is that Mustaine's voice was no longer the same on Endgame and he never really repeated his amazing vocal performance on the very first album. If you didn't like his voice before, check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzr_nOu8HRc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v6im6aRuLyg

But, anybody who likes metal guitar should give Megadeth a listen IMO.

My personal fave albums are:

Killing is my business

So far so good so what

Rust in peace

United abominations

Peace sells

Cryptic writings

Alan

"The Big Four" refers to the genre of Thrash Metal, the 4 bands on the OP are touring together as the Biggest Four Thrash Metal Bands, nobody is in trouble because of it.

Even taking the words Big Four literally how do some of the unrelated answers make sense?

Pick your big four artists? who talks like that?

Amazed at how so many people are completely ignorant of the "Big Four" thing.

Slayer is my favorite one out of them, and, despite the fact that I think that the Slayer lead guitar style is generally kind of stupid, Slayer is probably one of my favorite metal bands ever. I own all of their albums (even Show No Mercy, Hell Awaits and their cover album, Undisputed Attitude,) and I still spin Reign in Blood, South of Heaven, Seasons in the Abyss, Hell Awaits, God Hates Us All and Diabolus In Musica pretty frequently. They're an awesome band and, IMHO, their worst albums are still significantly better than the worst Metallica, Megadeth and Anthrax albums. Slayer started out as very basic thrash, but even as early as their second album, they were doing more complex and musically-interesting material and transcending the boundaries of the thrash metal subgenre, creating their own style that, I believe, was one of the primary motivators of the death metal subgenre.

If Reign in Blood had death growl vocals, it totally would have fit in perfectly with the rest of the early death metal scene. Right down to the lyrics and the tones.

Actually, here's Tom Araya doing some growly stuff on their first album. It's in the very beginning of the song:

Apperently not around enough. Only a relatively small number of adherents to the genre know it.

Exactly [lol]

I certainly never heard anyone use that term in the 90's, but then again, I'm not the best at paying attention.

Shut your mouth and open your mind.

I did open my mind and then your $hitty music was painful so I closed it again.

I've listened to all of those bands. Three of them I've never liked and used to listen to a lot of Metallica but their repetitive music got both boring and annoying.

Apperently not around enough. Only a relatively small number of adherents to the genre know it.

How do you figure? because of a couple of guys in this forum that don't know the term?

The Big 4 concerts have been filling out huge Stadiums since last year.

If somebody doesn't know this then I would say they do not adhere to the genre. Which is fine, Thrash Metal is not for everybody just like any other genre of music.

Archived