Gibson Brands Forums

Can anyone identify this?

ButchCassidy

Looks like a 1948-1955 L-48 that has undergone torture inspired by the Texas Chainsaw Massacre as written and directed by Ed Gein and Jeffrey Dahmer. If you could get it for about half their asking price it might be a fun project but it will never be worth a plug nickel. I don't know what the deal is with the blocks on the fingerboard but you can see the dots where they're supposed to be.... those "blocks" could be tape or something. The hole in the top scares me because how close did they come to the top's braces? Can't really tell by the photo.

Don't worry about the tuners; if they work other than the broken buttons then it's a cheap and effective fix to just replace the buttons themselves.

Thanks for the hillarious and convincing reply. I was kinda hesitant upon seeing the whole blocks and dots fingerboard too. And I seriously cannot find any acoustics like this with the f holes. Makes me think they just cut the hole under the neck. If you look kinda closely it doesn't look like a perfect circle. Haven't seen it in person. There's going to be a lot to check out when i do! Thanks for the response though.

Here's what it would have looked like prior to being hacked.

L48.JPG

It's one of those deals where.... okay, if it were an L-7 or an L-5 it would be well worth the restoration. As it is, it's not a high end guitar, so what you have is a 1951 Dodge 4 door that someone has cut the roof off. Could it be fixed? Oh yeah! Is it worth the effort? Ummm....no. But hey, if it plays decent and if you got it cheap enough it has the potential to be a cool guitar, as long as you throw any collector value notions out the window and concentrate on pure utility.

Myself, I would cut that round hole out to a square, graft in a piece of spruce and then do one serious-*** dark sunburst on it, but I have been known to pursue things too far in the interest of a challenge or the fact that I feel sorry for the poor thing.

I'd buy it quick as I could and check it out later. Looks like a lovely old girl with stories to tell. Way I figure those old gal's is if'n you cain't fix it to be real playable - just open tune and use for slide work. I bet she has a voice all of her own. That is the kind of guitar I fall in love with.....

Here's what it would have looked like prior to being hacked.

L48.JPG

It's one of those deals where.... okay' date=' if it were an L-7 or an L-5 it would be well worth the restoration. As it is, it's not a high end guitar, so what you have is a 1951 Dodge 4 door that someone has cut the roof off. Could it be fixed? Oh yeah! Is it worth the effort? Ummm....no. But hey, if it plays decent and if you got it cheap enough it has the potential to be a cool guitar, as long as you throw any collector value notions out the window and concentrate on pure utility.

Myself, I would cut that round hole out to a square, graft in a piece of spruce and then do one serious-*** dark sunburst on it, but I have been known to pursue things too far in the interest of a challenge or the fact that I feel sorry for the poor thing.[/quote']

Hey! KSDADDY!

You got any more of that sheet sparkle? Might be easier than tryin' to hide the graft with cremona brown. ](*,)/

Archived