Gibson Brands Forums

G-400 necks

binjo53

I'm new to this forum but I thought someone here might answer my question. I recently purchased 2 used G-400s from ebay. The first is a Chinese model from 2006 and the second is a Korean model from 1998. The neck on the Korean model is much more to my liking than the Chinese model. It's much thinner and reminiscent of my first Gibson SG/Les Paul (61 model). My question is: does anyone know if the difference in neck profiles is due to country of manufacture, what factory the guitar came from, or what year the guitars were made? I'd really like to pick up another one with the thinner neck but don't know what I should be looking for. Thanks for any input anyone might have.

Jim

Pictures and serial numbers would be helpful. Some feel funny giving out the whole serial number, so the first 5 or 6 numbers/letters would tell year and factory of manufacture. I would think that country and year of make would have more impact on neck shape than factory origin. I'm sure that someone with more knowledge than I, on this will jump in. By the way, welcome. You will find this to be the friendliest guitar forum on the web, chock full of members with a lot of knowledge and a few questionable ones, to make it interesting. I'[ve been here about a year now and have learned more in that time period than 40 years of playing. Stick around and learn something.

Pictures and serial numbers would be helpful. Some feel funny giving out the whole serial number, so the first 5 or 6 numbers/letters would tell year and factory of manufacture. I would think that country and year of make would have more impact on neck shape than factory origin. I'm sure that someone with more knowledge than I, on this will jump in. By the way, welcome. You will find this to be the friendliest guitar forum on the web, chock full of members with a lot of knowledge and a few questionable ones, to make it interesting. I'[ve been here about a year now and have learned more in that time period than 40 years of playing. Stick around and learn something.

Thanks for the response. The Korean model S/N is: I98080*** and the Chinese model S/N is: 09121509***. Don't know if this helps but there you have it.

Thanks

So the Korean was built in Aug, '98, at the Saein plant.

The chinese was built in Dec, '09, at the Qingdao plant.

11 years difference and a lot of tooling changes. I'm not surprised that the necks feel a little different. I'm sure that there are some other subtle differences, too. Do you notice ant difference in the electronics? Pickups, etc? Just wondering. The first generation Chinese guitars were alittle spotty on quality, but by "09, they should have been right up there with the Koreans.

Haven't noticed any difference in the electronics. I measured the resistance of the pickups though and the bridge and neck pickups on the Korean model measure 8K. The Chinese measure 8K for neck and 14K for the bridge.

The chinese was built in Dec, '09, at the Qingdao plant.

11 years difference and a lot of tooling changes. I'm not surprised that the necks feel a little different. I'm sure that there are some other subtle differences, too. Do you notice ant difference in the electronics? Pickups, etc? Just wondering. The first generation Chinese guitars were alittle spotty on quality, but by "09, they should have been right up there with the Koreans.

@binjo53: FYI, Saein received Gibby's top production quality award in 1998 [thumbup]

PS: 5 posts since Apr'09 [confused]... Don't over exert yourself Bros [biggrin]

Archived