Gibson Brands Forums

Advice on replacement Hummingbird TV

Del Nilppeznaf

I posted a topic here a while back regarding build issues with a Hummingbird TV.

Basically I bought a new 'Bird and it was faulty. The store where i bought it assured me they had ordered a replacement so i have been waiting for the new guitar.

I have been waiting over 10 weeks, I am in Ireland.

Yesterday the store phoned me to say my guitar had arrived..:) at last!

BUT... i was informed the replacement guitar was not actually a Hummingbird TV but was infact a Hummingbird HCS 'modern classic'. I had to explain the difference to the sales person over the phone!

Of course the TV model is now discontinued and i was informed Gibson is no longer shipping them.

There are still some available in Europe over the internet but the price has gone up over 700 euros (980 dollars).

Does anyone have any ideas as to possible avenues I could go down on getting a replacement guitar of the same quality from Gibson? I know it is more complicated outside of the states as regarding lifetime guarentee which states if the exact model is no longer available then the next closest model would be the replacement. The 'modern classic' model is obviously not to the same standard.

I would be thankful for any thoughts and advice anyone may be able to offer, basically on Gibsons policy regarding this issue... should I contact Gibson myself? I know it maybe a shot in the dark but... I really want the TV, I understand the 50th anniversary model is currently available.. but again..its alot more expensive.

I am willing to spend more to obtain the guitar but don't have the funds right now to order from another supplier. My store are in contact with Gibson trying to resolve the issue, and getting me a price on the 50th anniversary IF available!

I am really dissapointed in my experience here. If I was informed 10 weeks ago that a new TV was not available from Gibson I could easily have obtained one from a different supplier in Europe at the price I payed. Now only a few are available and the price has changed dramatically.

Any help on possible solution?

Thanks

A highly unlucky situation. You should under no circumstance accept the Modern Classic. I'd contact the local dealer first and hear what he has to say. I'm sure he'll see the problem from your side, but the question is if he has the authority to move, , , and move sharply.

He, you or you as a team should contact Gibson right away. Maybe contact the European Gibson Service people also (some of them write or have written here before).

They are serious and kind persons and might hold some key. (I had several dialogs with them last summer).

I sincerely wish you the best.

It's utterly frustrating to await 1 thing/instrument and receive another. . .

Thanks for reply Em7,

My dealer has been in contact continually with Gibson, even speaking to the owner of the company at one point. I am not sure if the exact issue is being related to Gibson though. I think my dealer was just trying to find out when the replacement would arrive under the impression a TV was being shipped. That is the model number they ordered but a Modern Classic is what shipped.

I believe Gibson are not fully aware of the exact issue as yet, but I have no way of knowing... this has gone on so long I have kind of put it out of my mind just expecting a new TV would arrive at some point.

I was told by my dealer that when they receive a faulty guitar form Gibson instead of returning it they are advised to "chop the head stock off" and are issued a credit with Gibson for the cost. ?????? Sounds crazy to me. My dealer is the one authorized Gibson dealer in Ireland and are a completely reputable store.

I don't know where I stand regarding the guarantee on the guitar I originally purchased. I'm assuming the store still has hold of it... I live 0ver 200k from the store. I will find out more information today. Am I covered by the Gibson warranty on the original guitar purchased that I returned to the store?

How would I go about contacting the european Gibson service department. Is it the branch situated in the Netherlands?

thanks

I feel very sorry for the issues you've been having, that would be god almighty frustrating !

I cant believe this 'reputable' store replaced the TV for a MC, dont they know the difference ?? As Em7 said, DO NOT accept the MC there is a very significant difference between the MC and TV.

My one big question is .... did Gibson really stop producting the HB TV .....and if thats the case why .????

Id better get one then soon before they skyrocket on the 2nd hard market ... [rolleyes]

Have the TV lines been halted? If so, we should probably expect a small increase in remaining stock due to dealers cashing in where they can and a reflection of that in the 2nd hand market, however, as soon as they have new lines that get a few decent reviews it will go back to normal, so now could be the worst time to get a HB TV model.

I'd wait it out for a bit.

No way should you accept the MC and I find it quite surprising to find that the one official dealer in Ireland doesn't know the differences in his product lines, well, I find it incredible really; and the MC and a TV are nowhere near the same thing.

Just had a look on my usual dealers site. A while back they were 2599 (euro), they shifted to 2899 only a few months back and today they're 3222, kind of adds weight to the story as they are normally fairly stable price-wise. At 3222 they're definitely over-priced, especially as the TV models are no longer custom shop lines but standard production lines.

The haters will have a field-day with this kind of info and if it's a dealers rise as well as a store price rise, deservedly so.

That's going into boutique prices, a lot of which perform slightly better on the 2nd hand market for those who have changeable tastes. I'm selling an upright piano and the intention was to perhaps look again at the HBTV, but not at over 3k in euro, sorry Gibson.

Just dont let the price hike news out on the AGF or you'll never stop hearing about !

Inerestingly my local shop here in Prague still offers it at 2590 euro for the order unlike that fake Thomann store offering fake Epi rebadged Hummingbird TV's. :rolleyes:

Thanks for replies everyone.

Interesting comments from Euro Aussie. I was thinking of sourcing the TV from Thomann online store. As stated the price has risen to 3222 euro!!!!!!

What is the story with " fake Epi rebadged Hummingbird TV's" ? Doesn't sound good!!!!

My dealer no longer has the option to order the TV from Gibson on there order sheets, and most online sites are saying the line is discontinued.

What is the name of the store in Prague selling for 2590 euro? This is the price i payed myself give or take. I would be very interested to know and maybe order from them direct.

No way do I want the 'modern classic'. I actually called Wildwood guitars in the States as they have a New Vintage model exclusive to them and some TV's in stock. They do not ship guitars out of the states unfortunately.

I'm trying to move quick and acquire a TV from somewhere in Europe at a sensible price, so anyone with any ideas as to where to look?

Thanks in advance.

The Epi joke was based on a claim on the AGF that some guy claimed it to be a bogus store, which is complete and utter bollocks and I bougth from them extensively, best service i ever received.

The store in Prague is called kytary.cz which means guitars.cz - here is the link to the web, they have it on order. its in czech but you can write to them in english no doubt. Ive bought my AL SJ from them and they are also very reputable and professional. Not sure if they deliver abroad but I imagine they could.

http://kytary.cz/gibson-hummingbird-true-vintage/HN103606/

The other option might be to buy a mid 60's used HB, from ebay or gbase, then you get the real thing ?

Thanks for replies everyone.

Interesting comments from Euro Aussie. I was thinking of sourcing the TV from Thomann online store. As stated the price has risen to 3222 euro!!!!!!

What is the story with " fake Epi rebadged Hummingbird TV's" ? Doesn't sound good!!!!

My dealer no longer has the option to order the TV from Gibson on there order sheets, and most online sites are saying the line is discontinued.

What is the name of the store in Prague selling for 2590 euro? This is the price i payed myself give or take. I would be very interested to know and maybe order from them direct.

No way do I want the 'modern classic'. I actually called Wildwood guitars in the States as they have a New Vintage model exclusive to them and some TV's in stock. They do not ship guitars out of the states unfortunately.

I'm trying to move quick and acquire a TV from somewhere in Europe at a sensible price, so anyone with any ideas as to where to look?

Thanks in advance.

Aussie's post is being sarcastic, it's referencing some lunatic on the AGF who posted that "Thomann only sell fake Chinese imports of Gibson's and Martin's" not only is this wildly untrue, it's probably legally a very dicey thing to say. Thomann are about the biggest official European dealer for both those brands and their models are not fake.

The "re-badged epiphones" was another statement posted on the AGF yesterday by a Luthier/boutique builder, again not only completely untrue by exceptionally unprofessional for a person using that forum to try and sell his own wares. I offered that "I bet he would like to trade places with Gibson in terms of sales and legendary status" this was not replied to despite him revisiting the thread.

The AGF thread was pulled as per usual when it comes to Gibson threads, unless your thread is bashing Gibson and back-slapping Martin & Taylor it doesn't stand much chance of surviving long over there.

In other words, you can buy safely and securely from Thomann.

regards

They dont have it physically in stock at the shop but reading the info on site it is available by order. Did you ask them if they can order it for you ?

Aha ok..:) looks like Thomann is my only option really. called the prague store and they do not have it in stock.

I don't really want to pay the extra 700 euro... but what can I do???

About to contact my dealer to see if any options have become available.

Play the patient man's game mate... if TV's are being withdrawn this will be the worst time to get one, the panic-stations will be in and as such you'll be expected to fork out the extra. Hold off, the used prices will drop as soon as the next use vintage/legend/classic is used as a snappy title for the line that will replace it.

Birds, J-45's, J-200 are the main course of Gibson's acoustic sales, they'd be mental to mess with that, the TV model will likely be wrapped in a new name (hopefully with a more amber finish) and released under a new guise. If they price it right it will shift units and if it's built the right way it will equal or supersede the TV lines. A buzz will start about them and they'll be all the rage for us Gibson players.

If you feel like you need something right now, have a look at a Woody Guthrie SJ model, I can't recommend them enough and at a more friendly price too. Of all my guitars it's the stand-out model when you compare satisfaction to price paid.

I did not inquire whether the Prague store could order a model EuroAussie, the reason being my authorized dealer here has told me the line is now discontinued and is un-available to order. This being backed up by many sites stating this fact. Thanks for the info though, it was worth a try.

Believe me since finding out I don't have a TV Bird anymore I have been scouring the net looking for one at the same price.

Seems like sound advice from PalourMan cheers. I should wait but since finding my predicament i am going a little crazy and panicking maybe :)

I have again spoken to my dealer and am getting more un-happy with their response. Currently they are waiting on a price for the 50th anniversary and the "Historic" model, which I keep telling the assistant manager is the bloody 'modern classic' model they already have in the store for me.

They have offered a full refund previously so I don't want to get irate with them. They could simply offer me a refund and thats it. But i believe I am entitled to a replacement guitar of the same quality from Gibson. The thing is i don't beleive Gibson even know of the true issue. I inquired whether the dialouge between my dealer and Gibson was stating the fact that I had purchased a faulty TV and would like a replacement, I think they simply made an order for more TV's BEFOR I even purchased the last one they had, and have been sent what Gibson now ship for the Hummingbird line. I can't seem to get through to my dealer that I want them to have a dialogue with Gibson about this issue. I have a feeling they still have the faulty guitar in store; still for sale!!!!

As I have been told twice that they do not return faulty guitars to Gibson, they are told to " chop the head stock off".

I have no problem in waiting for the right quality guitar comming from Gibson, I just can't seem to get through to the person I am dealing with here at the moment. I have even called Gibson Customer Service in Europe and have been told Ireland is not covered by them.

I will email Gibson myself and see if that gets anywhere.

Thanks though ParlourMan again. Your advice has managed to calm me down a little.

I think it might be time Gibons CS to chip into the discussion ?

btw: I think this 50th anniversary model is based on the original specs and should be similar, perhasp even better than the TV version, which would be pretty hard to top in my book.

No problems, I'm glad I was of some assistance, even if it wasn't exactly the help you were looking for ;)

I'm also a kind of "I want it and I would like it now please" type of guy, once I've made up my mind, but if you can hold off I believe you will get a better deal in the long run. Just out of curiosity, have you tried some stores in Scotland, have a look at the Glasgow (My home town) site for GuitarGuitar.co.uk, they had a pile of Gibson's just a couple of months back when I was home, TV models included.

Here's hoping your dealer can get things moving successfully for you, but if not, don't lose patience, hang on for that sweet TV detail that will come up sooner rather than later, especially when the new ones are released. There's always folk that just have to have the latest & Greatest.

A well kept second hand TV Hummingbird isn't that hard to find – they pop up every now and then. There's one with no reserve on the Bay as I speak, , , with different tuners. The original comes with the bargain. Unfortunately the seller doesn't sell out of The States (still might make an exception).

But keep your eyes open and the right Bird will fly by.

Here's the address you asked for : service.europe@gibson.com

To my knowledge there are a couple of persons there. One of them – a Mr. Vergeest – wrote here yesterday or the day before.

Not to give you GAS, Del N - but over here last night they televised the Country Music Awards. Saw several H'birds up on the stage.

One song - 'you and tequila make me crazy' was especially well played.. by the female half of the duet. The Gibson site still shows the True Vintage and a New Vintage. The 50th anniversary model is listed at $6k compared to $5k for the TV. So, if your dealer is willing to get you one to replace your faulty TV - I'd seriously consider it. G'luck.

Archived