Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson J-60 Traditional

ddragg

Hello all. Glad to be apart of the community. I have a few questions regarding my 1997 J-60. I am the original owner and I brought it to my local Luthier to inspect a bellying issue. He informed me that this sort of thing is common, but because the bridge is beginning to roll towards the neck, Gibson may warranty the repair. The guitar is in near perfect condition with hardly a scratch. Absolutely no abuse or wear of any kind. My problem is that I cannot locate my original receipt from 14 years ago. I purchased it from RIT Music in Grand Rapids back in 1997 and they do not retain records for that long. Does anyone have a clue as what I may be able to do? Anyone have a receipt from RIT I can use? This really bites because the guitar is in like new condition. I was told if all else fails to install a JLD Bridge Doctor. I have read up on these things and it may be the only recourse I have. Any direction will be greatly appreciated.

post-37565-038113500 1321048676_thumb.jpg

post-37565-046298100 1321048683_thumb.jpg

Hello, a J60 is a Fine Guitar.... I like those,, Ive owned a Few... ... What strings are you using.. Has it been sitting for a long period and Noy Played?

I would be inclined by the pictures to loosin off the strings and Get a Humidity pad for it.. and get the front X Braces checked... The top shouldnt be sunk around the sound Hole like that..

Your dealer should have record of your purchase...

Hello, a J60 is a Fine Guitar.... I like those,, Ive owned a Few... ... What strings are you using.. Has it been sitting for a long period and Noy Played?

I would be inclined by the pictures to loosin off the strings and Get a Humidity pad for it.. and get the front X Braces checked... The top shouldnt be sunk around the sound Hole like that..

Your dealer should have record of your purchase...

Hello and thanks for the reply. You are correct that the guitar was stored for quiet a long time, but not in the case. It remained in the stand and in a humidified environment. It was actually my uncle's guitar and I got it from him. Strings were mediums. My Luthier checked the braces and told me they are all in good shape. When I remove the strings the belly goes away overnight, but reappears once the strings are re-tensioned. I Was told that installing the JDL Bridge Doctor would be a good remedy. I own and play a Breedlove D25/SRH and it sounds wonderful. My Luthier said he could change the bridge plate out, but it could change the sound and would also lower the resale. My Luthier also believes the Bridge Doctor could make the guitar sound bad. It just seems weird that something like this would happen to a guitar that was properly cared for and never played. I mean literally never played. I gave my uncle eight hundred clams for it and he said he would refund my money if I wanted. Should I or what? Thanks

Did you send the registration card to Gibson when you bought it?

Still, I seriously doubt if they will do anything under warranty.

The establishment were it was purchased gave hand written receipts and they do not store records from that long ago. Gibson has no information of the warranty card being mailed and they will only accept a receipt for proof of purchase.

So you are not the original owner...

well that puts Gibson out of the fix it loop.

at least as far as warranty work goes ..

See if the factory will repair it for 'cost'

:mellow:

Actually my uncle will be glad to have it repaired by the factory, but he cannot find the receipt. I thought it would be a good purchase at any rate, but knowing that the factory may repair the problem was an added bonus. All repair work would be done under his name and not mine. Anyone ever used a Bridge Doctor on a Gibby?

Actually my uncle will be glad to have it repaired by the factory, but he cannot find the receipt. I thought it would be a good purchase at any rate, but knowing that the factory may repair the problem was an added bonus. All repair work would be done under his name and not mine. Anyone ever used a Bridge Doctor on a Gibby?

Having your uncle arrange the repairs is a solution but not an ethical one. You bought the guitar and you are the owner and not the original owner. Don't do a dishonest thing for a couple hundre bucks. If you want to spend some real bucks, send it to Gibson repair in Nashville. Otherwise, have your local guy repair it, play it and enjoy. You'll enjoy it better if you know you did the right thing.

I dont think its a Gibson issue either.. I think the Med strings at full tension and sitting for a long period of time did the damage and a inside the Guitar humidity problem.. It can be fixed..

I would be inclined to send it to a Luthier and get it repaired, I wouldnt settle for a apperatise to fix the problem though..

I dont think it will need a Bridge doctor..

Having your uncle arrange the repairs is a solution but not an ethical one. You bought the guitar and you are the owner and not the original owner. Don't do a dishonest thing for a couple hundre bucks. If you want to spend some real bucks, send it to Gibson repair in Nashville. Otherwise, have your local guy repair it, play it and enjoy. You'll enjoy it better if you know you did the right thing.

Thanks for your concerns, but this is not unethical and I resent the fact that you alluded it to being so. My uncle is completely aware that the guitar needs work and that Gibson may warranty the work if he could find the receipt. He said for me to do what I could to get it repaired under warranty. He's 70+ years old and really doesn't care for the aggravation of dealing with guitar repairs. His thoughts, as are mine, is for me to handle all of the work. If you don't have anything valuable to add then don't respond to my questions.

Thanks for your concerns, but this is not unethical and I resent the fact that you alluded it to being so. My uncle is completely aware that the guitar needs work and that Gibson may warranty the work if he could find the receipt. He said for me to do what I could to get it repaired under warranty. He's 70+ years old and really doesn't care for the aggravation of dealing with guitar repairs. His thoughts, as are mine, is for me to handle all of the work. If you don't have anything valuable to add then don't respond to my questions.

No insult intended, sorry if it seemed so. I do think that an issue of right and wrong is something "valuable to add". But certainly reasonable people can reasonably disagree.

you should try a good humidifier in the case... loosen the strings and let it sit with a damp humidifier for a few weeks. my j60 had a little belly that went away when I did this... been flat and stable for years now. its a phenomenal cannon of a guitar btw... it earns the name "bone crusher"

Archived