Gibson Brands Forums

Count me out

Thundergod

I must admit my only reason for joining this forum is to express my total dissatisfaction with the product lines Gibson has put out in both 2014 and 2015.

Already owning several LesPauls (2 studios and 2 standards) and one SG Standard, I was looking to add to my collection and was eagerly looking forward to the 2015's. Sadly, the 120th inlay on the 2014's were aesthetically unappealing. The 2015's with the silly signature on the headstock vs. the script, brass nut, and G-Force tuning system have left me searching for something that seems to not exists anymore......

I know this is my own opinion, but Gibson needs to hear me as well as everyone else. I'm willing pay top dollar for an instrument that looks, feels, and sounds like a vintage instrument that has such a rich history. I don't want it to look like anything other than a classic Gibson Les Paul. I cannot believe there are people willing to pay $ 3,700 for the latest attempt at revolutionizing the music world. The revolution isn't gonna happen. The wheel has already been invented....just keep it rolling, trim down the products / variations you offer, and focus on making the LesPaul. This will reduce your inventory and allow you to sell more LesPauls at a lower price, rather than selling fewer LesPauls at higher profit margins. Simple economics.

You are making the same mistake PRS is making and pricing yourselves out of the market for the average musician. Get back to the basics. They worked VERY well. Think about, when people talk about LesPauls, they probably think about '59 Standards....... not Futura's, Peace's, Signature's, Deluxe's.....etc.

As such, I recently decided to purchase two (2) ESP's (one standard ESP, and one E-II). Both with Seymour Duncans, these guitars are simple, elegant, and have astounding playability. It's my opinion others will do the same by jumping off the Gibson ship and look elsewhere if it doesn't get back on track.

Capice?

Thank you for reading.

• 2 months later...

A little sad to say that I have removed the Robot tuning system from my 2008 Robot LP. Unfortunately the MCK started falling off whenever I tried to tune. I brought it to a Gibson authorized repair depot and they told me it couldn't be fixed. Plastic parts no longer holding together. They suggested the new min E tune for over $300 cdn. I bought a set of Grover 502C's. Install went well. I only had to ream out the holes to fit. Bummer losing the Robot feature but now I have a guitar that is usable. I've always loved the sound and playability of the guitar regardless of the Robot tuning.

A little sad to say that I have removed the Robot tuning system from my 2008 Robot LP. Unfortunately the MCK started falling off whenever I tried to tune. I brought it to a Gibson authorized repair depot and they told me it couldn't be fixed. Plastic parts no longer holding together. They suggested the new min E tune for over $300 cdn. I bought a set of Grover 502C's. Install went well. I only had to ream out the holes to fit. Bummer losing the Robot feature but now I have a guitar that is usable. I've always loved the sound and playability of the guitar regardless of the Robot tuning.

I replaced my Robot controls with the newer Tronical Unit! Removed MCK for a 500K Pot, stop bar for a solid one without ceramic liners.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I really wanted to love mine. But right off the bat it was buggy. Tuned sharp ( i had the guitar professionally set up), had to tune after each song.....I held in their, but it never got better ( did every trouble shoot under the sun). Anyway, removed it and sold for a bill. Picked up grover vintage tulips and replaced and my guitar is just right. Stays in tune forever now!

Well after reading all the horror and warm fuzzy stories, love and hate reports ... as well as considering the pluses and minuses, and because I have 40 some-odd other guitars as back up .... 'and' I recently sold my Harley (making me flush with "WTF coin") ... I decided to buy one of these.

It's a 2015 Classic G-Force in a cool version of surf green with some really nice flame and stria grain.

I got it for $500 less than the big shops street price ($1550 delivered instead of $2050).

I like the idea of an adjustable nut for going Dobro high, as well as being able to set the action so low again without having to re-nut.

The titanium bridge saddles sound like something that might be cool, I don't really care about the hologram, and the signature looks (to me) like Les wrote it on a bar napkin then set a sweaty drink down on it, but the other stuff (with the possible exception of the G-Force) are all pluses ... and I liked the neck width when I tried one at GC.

IMHO: at the price I paid, the G force is an unknown that I can afford to take a "lets see" approach to.

If I feel that if I don't like it, I just don't need to turn it on (In that sense it's an improvement over it's predecessor) or I can put locking tuners on it.

The things that it does bring to the table are ..... interesting, and it was totally impressive at GC.

Being able to do something like rapidly going to drop D with it, appeals to me.

I also have a custom shop that has a Richlite fretboard ... so I guess I'm already practicing Gibby blasphemy, and since having already crossed that line .... I'm ripe for the 2015 Classic. msp_smile.gif

How timely...... I had the opportunity today to buy a 120th anniversary model (green) SG with the robo-tune. I couldn't put it down fast enough. First off it was the ugliest green I've ever seen, and the other two reasons I won't get into. Lord knows I don't need to offend anyone on here.

I remember how many negative opinions were expressed here about the Robo tune feature. The guy said it worked perfectly. I said they all do... until they don't. I did end up buying a different guitar from him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Love the gforce autotuners! No more pressing the floor pedal, playing a note at a time and mucking around. One strum, its done!

I remember the same moaning about tuners years ago, "use your ear, use a tuning fork". etc

Gigs are GREAT now!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would love to pickup a used Robot for cheap. I would get a Tronical Tuner for it and pull the MCK just like I have already done to my Robot. I have a new Tronical arriving tomorrow for my Fender Telecaster. Love the newer version Tronical Tuner, works great! The Robot Guitars are a Gem if you can get one at a good price. Great tone, the build on these is better than a normal Studio!

Hi Charlie, taking your lead here. Got the next gen Tronical headstock system, that's faster and has capo mode(only 99 bucks to upgrade your your unit).I want to swap the electronics, like you did. I want to put 500k audio taper pots AND a NEW piezo bridge using the current hole in the maple top and the tone control occupied by the MCK. Then, use a push/pull long pot, to turn the the acoustic on/off, and mix it (with the double throw pot), on said tone knob position. Since you have already swapped the electronics My QUESTIONS ARE:

1. What is the ribbon cable connected to at the pick up end? Can I can just tear it out?
  2. Can I reuse the metal mounting plate for the pots ?
  3. If so, is there enough room in the control cavity to mount long shaft, push pull pots on the metal plate(I haven't removed the pots yet so I don't know what's there now)?
  4. Last, did you replace the end jack? If so what fits in the square shaped end jack hole?

thanks ~Klaus

Hi Charlie, taking your lead here. Got the next gen Tronical headstock system, that's faster and has capo mode(only 99 bucks to upgrade your your unit).I want to swap the electronics, like you did. I want to put 500k audio taper pots AND a NEW piezo bridge using the current hole in the maple top and the tone control occupied by the MCK. Then, use a push/pull long pot, to turn the the acoustic on/off, and mix it (with the double throw pot), on said tone knob position. Since you have already swapped the electronics My QUESTIONS ARE:

1. What is the ribbon cable connected to at the pick up end? Can I can just tear it out?
  2. Can I reuse the metal mounting plate for the pots ?
  3. If so, is there enough room in the control cavity to mount long shaft, push pull pots on the metal plate(I haven't removed the pots yet so I don't know what's there now)?
  4. Last, did you replace the end jack? If so what fits in the square shaped end jack hole?

thanks ~Klaus

Ribbon connects to the Bridge and can just be unplugged. There are two Ribbons and I can't remember where the 2nd one plugged, maybe the Tail Piece with the ceramic inserts which I replaced with a solid Tail Piece.

I used the mounting plate.

I think you can mount the Long Shaft push/Pull. I replaced the MCK with a 500K long shaft.

I kept the Captive Jack. Neutric.

Ribbon connects to the Bridge and can just be unplugged. There are two Ribbons and I can't remember where the 2nd one plugged, maybe the Tail Piece with the ceramic inserts which I replaced with a solid Tail Piece.

I used the mounting plate.

I think you can mount the Long Shaft push/Pull. I replaced the MCK with a 500K long shaft.

I kept the Captive Jack. Neutric.

Hi Charlie, I appreciate you help. I want to use audio taper vol pots. Can I use the same resistors with 500k pots? What did you go with, it terms of internal wiring components?

Archived