Gibson Brands Forums

Issue with a "dead" sound.

Moxley

Hi everyone, this is my first post. sorry it had to be about my gibson not working!

ive been playing for about 5 years with heavy practice, i bought my first gibson about 7 months ago. there were numerous problems with it, but a lot of them were because of the store that ordered it.

however, i have a problem with the high e string, ive never encountered this on any of my guitars or others that ive set up, so i have no clue what it is.

when i pick an open high e note, it makes a "dead" kind of sound. the key is there, but it sounds strained, almost liek it is buzzing with a sitar-type sound. it has no sustain on that string, and is very weak in sound.

i checked for fret buzz, and there is none, my tail piece was about a cm off the body(cant remember why i did that), my bridge isnt that high, as i try to have as low action as i can without buzz. the neck is straight, but ive had this problem since i got it.

any ideas on what it is? any input is appreciated!

it's been like this since i got it, through new sets of strings and all. it only happens in open notes. so im thinking it's the nut, i checked eveything else, but i could possibly have overlooked a bur in the saddle. ill check again.

Hi everyone' date=' this is my first post. sorry it had to be about my gibson not working!

ive been playing for about 5 years with heavy practice, i bought my first gibson about 7 months ago. there were numerous problems with it, but a lot of them were because of the store that ordered it.

however, i have a problem with the high e string, ive never encountered this on any of my guitars or others that ive set up, so i have no clue what it is.

when i pick an open high e note, it makes a "dead" kind of sound. the key is there, but it sounds strained, almost liek it is buzzing with a sitar-type sound. it has no sustain on that string, and is very weak in sound.

i checked for fret buzz, and there is none, my tail piece was about a cm off the body(cant remember why i did that), my bridge isnt that high, as i try to have as low action as i can without buzz. the neck is straight, but ive had this problem since i got it.

any ideas on what it is? any input is appreciated!

[/quote']

Ask the good players around your area where they have there set ups done. I've owned numerous new Gibsons over the past five years and all but two needed set ups in the worst way before they'd play anywhere near their potential. Once set up it should be good to go. If any of the good luthiers are Gibson warranty approved they can get some of the cost from Gibson if the guitar needs a fret level and you bought it new.

Bring your receipt or they won't be able to help you with a discount. My '05 RO needed a fret level from the 12th to 22nd fret and Gibson covered that part so the only cost was $45 for the basic set up. I was going to sell it as I had done everything I could think of to set it up to no avail. After a couple days at the luthier it was fine. Most players I know pay for a set up on their Gibsons. For some reason PRS can get it right out of the box. Gibson suffers in this area but it's only a minor annoyance and a good set up only runs $40-$50.

I know, at the price they should be right from the get go. But they're not. It's just one of those things we learn to live with when purchasing a Gibson. :)

"ask the good players"? harsh. This is why i usually hate saying how long ive played for.

Although i've played for 5 years, it was every day, during school, after school, all night, sumemr vacations, ive been out of school for 3 years and it only gave me more time. it was an obsession, and it paid off - i AM "the good player". sorry to come off a bit rude, but assumtions are terrible. i do my own setups.. i just havent come into this prob before. Jerry Doucette complemented me on a set up i did for a 1976 SG standard, too.

anyways, i went through everything, it couldnt have been the saddles, the tuners, etc. it was the nut, and it's fixed now. thanks for the help everyone.

Archived