Gibson Brands Forums

Can any one tell me what LP model this is?

Riptide

Do the Customs usually have mahogany or maple tops? Because I thought that most of them had mahogany but now that I'm looking at it it looks like most of them have maple ones.

all depends on the year

some where solid mahogany (no maple cap) but still had the carved top and some had a maple cap. I would advise buying an old custom rather than the new customs if your looking for a specific vibe.

It's a Custom, not a Classic Custom.

Nowadays, only the '57 Customs are all mahogany.

Thanks

It was the piping around the body that made me think that. It looks gold on the photo the OP posted, although that's probably due to my dodgy eyesight.

Did they make regular customs with gold piping?

Alan

I think the hardware is gold but I don't think it's the custom classic because the one that I posted has the design on the headstock that the current customs have.

And I'm not planning on buying a custom.. I just like to know what guitar I'm hearing [tongue]

Thanks

It was the piping around the body that made me think that. It looks gold on the photo the OP posted, although that's probably due to my dodgy eyesight.

Did they make regular customs with gold piping?

Alan

they age yellow, like a white les paul custom around too much nicotine

• 3 weeks later...

Not unless those guitars have the same pups, My point is those two guitars sound the same going through a amp since they share the same wood and electronics with out the bling. So if the OP wants that tone a studio will do more than fine in achieving that tone.

all the studio's in the stores I know are all chambered.....

• 3 weeks later...

Archived