Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Nice! When do you think we can expect to see it? Been about 5 months since there were any layouts posted on tagboardeffects...hope Mark's doing okay with that trapped nerve.

Nice clean looking pedal as always, man.

-Ryan

Have you checked on the forum? There are tons of great layouts posted there.

When Mark gets back from vacation he's going to post an announcement about the new admins and then it's game on

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

It has taken me a long time but my V is coming along, here is a mock up.

Final wet sanding and polish needed.

Added pickup rings, sanded down to fit.

Wiring:

Burstbucker Pros, swapped magnets to unoriented A5 rough cast on the bridge, A3 rough cast on the neck pickup flipped over and so is the pickup to get that magnetic out of phase sound in the middle position.

PIO cap at only 0.015.

300k volumes 500K tone.

Witch hat knobs.

This thing is either going to sound awesome or not, just wanted to make it different than the others.

A61C2431-E650-4E5B-8739-7E777192948A_zpsmrk6nfqa.jpg

The guitar looks freaking awesome! If you don't like the electronics that's always easy to change. I think I've read that Clapton used a .015 cap as part of his "woman tone" but maybe I'm just pulling that out of my ***

They even sell them on Ebay like that

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CAPACITOR-PIO-0-015-uF-FOR-LES-PAUL-335-SG-EXPLORER-ERIC-CLAPTON-WOMAN-TONE-/271279955237?hash=item3f298b9d25

the Clapton seires LOL [rolleyes]

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMG-Ultimate-Pickup-upgrade-Les-Paul-SG-PIO-Capacitor-treble-bleed-Clapton-tone-/281792769280?hash=item419c286d00

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Correct. Two reasons: to protect the transistors from accidentally being daisy chained with negative ground effects, and for sound quality.

I would be happy to add a DC jack or LED at a customers request, but I this is how I think they are best.

The thing is, these circuits are very primitive, and the MKI and MK1.5 circuits do not include power supply filtering of any kind. This means you are more likely to experience noise issues with a power supply. Why not just add some power filtering? It can affect the sound of the fuzz in a way that I don't like.

Why not use a charge pump? This requires additional power filtering

Why not use NPN transistors? I carefully select the transistors for hfe, leakage, noise, and overall sonic quality. The NPN transistors rarely meet all of my needs, but I will use them occasionally.

What if I have a power supply with isolated outputs? Then you have the best chances, because I can add a DC jack with no further modifications, and you can decide for yourself if a battery or power adapter works best for you

• 3 weeks later...

Replacing the studs on an ABR-1 bridge with longer ones for better sustain -

See recent thread here

20151024_113039_zpssyviakzf.jpg

Those are some very precise measurements, sir! Are you measuring with a caliper?

Have you noticed a difference in the sound/sustain after the mod?

As for me I just wrapped this build up on Wednesday. It's another short board MKII in a 1590B, this time with OC76 trannies. This has a pretty raspy sound quality with great cleanup via the guitar's volume pot

80F26003-31B0-42F1-B819-750732570C59_zpszi5slktp.jpg

F4F46B9A-8715-4855-944B-324C8F19B36D_zpsrhfappny.jpg

Those are some very precise measurements, sir! Are you measuring with a caliper?

Have you noticed a difference in the sound/sustain after the mod?

No caliper, just using a ruler with 64ths. It's probably not necessary to measure that precisely, 32nds'd probably be fine.

The mod does help the resonance and sustain, especially with the semi-hollowbody guitars. You can feel the back wings resonate more. The mod was originally done in the Gibson Custom Shop.

Not an incredibly interesting one, but something I'll definitely be doing from now on.

I love short-shaft toggle switches. I hate the normal length ones that stick up almost as high as the pots. Sometimes I like to stick a toggle switch on the side of a pedal (if it would make it too crowded on the face), and the normal shafts will interfere with a right-angle plug. The short-shafts clear it.

Sadly, I've only been able to find short-shaft SPDT toggles, where a lot of the time I need a DPDT or 3PDT toggle switch.

So today I decided to rip open one of my 3PDT toggles and one of my short-shaft SPDT toggles. With some careful prying with a tiny flathead screwdriver, I was able to remove the assembly, and found that the shaft slid right off! (You can see the shaft on the left, and the wiper post on the right).

A good squeeze with some pliers and the assembly clicked back onto the plastic body, and it was done! Checked with a continuity setting on my multimeter, and it reliably switched. I added a little extra grease to the contacts of the switch before I assembled it, for good measure.

iv5mnoB.jpg

Short-shaft 3PDT toggle switches: Possible!

-Ryan

• 1 month later...

Wow, that looks like shrunken down flame maple, stained green!

-Ryan

That's what I was going for. It's really hard to capture how it looks in person with my camera. It has a more prominent 3D effect in person that kindof moves with the viewing angle and light angle. I can't really seem to take a photo that does it justice

E677FCDD-EBE7-4EBE-B022-00787EFBA07B_zpsim7pd9zj.jpg

That's what I was going for. It's really hard to capture how it looks in person with my camera. It has a more prominent 3D effect in person that kindof moves with the viewing angle and light angle. I can't really seem to take a photo that does it justice

E677FCDD-EBE7-4EBE-B022-00787EFBA07B_zpsim7pd9zj.jpg

If that's not doing it justice I don't know what would. That is gorgeous! [love] Purple would be even gorgeouser.

If that's not doing it justice I don't know what would. That is gorgeous! [love] Purple would be even gorgeouser.

lol thanks

Green is my favorite color so I'm pretty excited about this finish [thumbup] I think it's the best finish I've ever sprayed myself

I would do purple but when I've had glossy transparent purple powdercoated enclosures I didn't like the look and nobody would buy them :unsure: High gloss + dark color is a bad combination for stompboxes, maybe if I could find a nice light/bright trans purple I would get some. Not interested in any "royal purple" type shades though

lol thanks

Green is my favorite color so I'm pretty excited about this finish [thumbup] I think it's the best finish I've ever sprayed myself

I would do purple but when I've had glossy transparent purple powdercoated enclosures I didn't like the look and nobody would buy them :unsure: High gloss + dark color is a bad combination for stompboxes, maybe if I could find a nice light/bright trans purple I would get some. Not interested in any "royal purple" type shades though

Another problem with purple...good luck photographing it. Depending on the screen it's viewed on, magenta can look almost blue, or dark purple can look pink...

-Ryan

That's interesting, I haven't tried looking at purple on different screens lol

Well anyways I know some people love purple pedals, so I ordered some purple swatches in an attempt to find one that I like. I hope that if I choose a lighter shade it will still have the purple appeal? Or maybe I can find a royal purple that is more durable than the one from mammoth

That's interesting, I haven't tried looking at purple on different screens lol

Well anyways I know some people love purple pedals, so I ordered some purple swatches in an attempt to find one that I like. I hope that if I choose a lighter shade it will still have the purple appeal? Or maybe I can find a royal purple that is more durable than the one from mammoth

As an example of how fickle the color purple can be, here's a comparison I made. The left one is the raw, unedited photo. The right one was edited to make it match the actual color of the pedal, on my monitors. Even though you probably won't see the same colors I'm seeing, you should be able to see how drastic the difference is.

LK45peh.jpg

-Ryan

(Edit: On my monitors, the left photo is almost blue, while the right (color corrected one) is more of an eggplant or orchid purple.)

Archived