Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

No I sold the DeArmond quite a few years ago. There was a time where I was using an original Butler Tube Driver and nothing else so I sold a lot of old stuff - including the DeArmond Square Wave and an old Distortion+ which apparently had a similar circuit.

Yeah if you look at the DeArmond it looks like they tried to make a direct copy of the Distortion +. They substituted a couple values most likely to use up parts that they already had in stock which were close enough to the Dist + values. Basically instead of 1nf caps that you see in the Dist +, DeArmond used 1.5nf, and instead of the 4.7K in the Dist +, DeArmond used 5.6K. Aside from that it's like 10pf vs 15pf, and tantalum caps vs aluminum electros. So I would expect them to sound a little different but they are virtually identical

Kinda funny how even the earliest pedal builders were cloning things left and right

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kinda funny how even the earliest pedal builders were cloning things left and right

Indeed... as were early amp builders and early guitar builders! Seems like in each there are 4 or 5 major designs that most things are based off of.

I took a break from my constant cloning this weekend [laugh] to design something original! I didn't reinvent the wheel or anything, it's just a distortion I made with a couple JFET gain stages cascading into a germanium gain stage. So it's a distortion with no clipping diodes or op amps, just the breakup from the JFETs and germanium transistor. It has kindof a cranked Marshall vibe

3A9B940C-02E7-4B10-9586-D4CA50C2AC6C_zpsipbszooc.jpg

31753A73-0F50-47D5-9B69-95C64B0E78DE_zpsa86czjos.jpg

I took a break from my constant cloning this weekend [laugh] to design something original! I didn't reinvent the wheel or anything, it's just a distortion I made with a couple JFET gain stages cascading into a germanium gain stage. So it's a distortion with no clipping diodes or op amps, just the breakup from the JFETs and germanium transistor. It has kindof a cranked Marshall vibe

[thumbup] Way to go! Wish I had enough electronics to create rather than clone (think we've had that convo). [biggrin] Bet it sounds great. Demo! Demo! Demo!

[thumbup] Way to go! Wish I had enough electronics to create rather than clone (think we've had that convo). [biggrin] Bet it sounds great. Demo! Demo! Demo!

Thanks. As I said I didn't reinvent the wheel just used some basic building blocks and adjusted to taste.

I'd be happy to record a little clip, but the best I can do right now is with my iPhone mic unfortunately. PM me your email or cell # and I'll send you a clip. I'd be happy to send my layout too if you want to build one!

To all you pros, I replaced the PUPS, with the help of many of you and your suggestions.I am stoked that you guys gave me the courage to make the attempt.And now the Strat sings like an angel,no crackle,no up and down sound, just sweet melodic tones. Thanks to all that threw out the suggestions.:rolleyes:

Thanks. As I said I didn't reinvent the wheel just used some basic building blocks and adjusted to taste.

I'd be happy to record a little clip, but the best I can do right now is with my iPhone mic unfortunately. PM me your email or cell # and I'll send you a clip. I'd be happy to send my layout too if you want to build one!

If you supply the layout, I could build one up (obviously not half as clean as yours), and provide a quality sound sample ;)

-Ryan

If you supply the layout, I could build one up (obviously not half as clean as yours), and provide a quality sound sample ;)

-Ryan

Cool! I need to add some labels to the layout since I did it for myself I didn't include any wiring info. Btw, since all of the clipping is coming from the transistors the type and specs will be important to the sound. I designed this with Siliconix PN4393 and Texas Instruments 2n1302 hfe ~75 and no leakage

Cool! I need to add some labels to the layout since I did it for myself I didn't include any wiring info. Btw, since all of the clipping is coming from the transistors the type and specs will be important to the sound. I designed this with Siliconix PN4393 and Texas Instruments 2n1302 hfe ~75 and no leakage

Got it.

-Ryan

My latest on the walnut top guitar...

Fretboard is glued, and tenon done.. Im just waiting for the binding now so as I want to do that before I glue the neck on...

So I also did a nice roundover on the back

Before

DSC_1837_zpsrm8jyq2l.jpg

After

DSC_1841_zpswxuzfpge.jpg

And its all ready to be glued as soon as ive done the binding.. I wet the top down again to have a look at the grain

DSC_1843_zpsq7xlddmw.jpg

Nice :)

Heres the latest on my walnut top.. And ive started the second one too :)

Binding done on the first one

DSC_1849_zpsirotjrwi.jpg

DSC_1851_zpskkdx0eiz.jpg

DSC_1856_zpskljhcvtj.jpg

DSC_1859_zpsvahs2ztw.jpg

And heres that second top.. Hmmmmmm :)

Heres the back wood

DSC_1842_zpsgattvhoo.jpg

DSC_1844_zpsntea71u7.jpg

And the top

DSC_1847_zpsc5l9ngwq.jpg

DSC_1848_zpsf1porpnk.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Latest shots... Almost done now...

Sunk the bridge in a bit

DSC_1895_zpsuflbm7g6.jpg

and tuners are in..

DSC_1897_zpsnynsws84.jpg

Also check out this new body I have. Some really nice wood that was in my friends fathers garage for about 30 years (so reclaimed :)) apparently Asian Mahogany which it does seem to be from looking online.. That's with no finish or wetting...

e39c4216-5b62-4fd0-b97b-4b1642e29cfc_zpssnkihxvn.jpg

Super cool little detail! It reminds me of the neck on my Ric

Ohh nice...... I do like the look of Rics... very unique in a world of Fender and Gibsons.....

And yeah, when I first got the top I was wondering if I should thin it down so that you see binding then the back.. then I thought no it will look cool...

I think however it would look even better when I do my next maple top.. I think its about the same thickness as that walnut.. So if I colour the top and have binding, but leave the maple on the side natural.. THAT should look really cool (I think :)).

Ive also been planning another build which will have a light wood back and top but wit a 5mm rosewood strip glued in the middle, then I give it some nice edge bevelling like with Strat type contours.. should look really good.

Archived