Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Ohh nice...... I do like the look of Rics... very unique in a world of Fender and Gibsons.....

And yeah, when I first got the top I was wondering if I should thin it down so that you see binding then the back.. then I thought no it will look cool...

I think however it would look even better when I do my next maple top.. I think its about the same thickness as that walnut.. So if I colour the top and have binding, but leave the maple on the side natural.. THAT should look really cool (I think :)).

Ive also been planning another build which will have a light wood back and top but wit a 5mm rosewood strip glued in the middle, then I give it some nice edge bevelling like with Strat type contours.. should look really good.

I love the Ric. It's my all around best guitar

I think it will look great with the maple. The more contrast the better, but it's a neat touch either way [thumbup]

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Normally I try to find gently used TS9 pedals on eBay and Reverb to mod and resell, but I just got these 5 brand new in box for only a few buck more! So this is what I'll be doing for the next couple of days. Though I've got some boosters that need finishing up as well.

IMG_6475.jpg

Heres the back...

I decided to stain the neck as its a bit light compared to the back wood

DSC_1869_zpsuhzhsnvx.jpg

Using these stains

DSC_1870_zpso50qjeoa.jpg

First the pine one to add some depth

DSC_1876_zpsf3is0yet.jpg

Then the Peruvian mahogany one

DSC_1879_zpsfpdmd0nx.jpg

I think this pretty much gets me there

DSC_1882_zpsyzg8nw54.jpg

then I add the pine to the whole back which helps highlight the wood

DSC_1883_zpsoslp2319.jpg

DSC_1885_zps33hmqpzx.jpg

Then add some tru oil

DSC_1886_zpsnlghiqjy.jpg

DSC_1888_zpsvre79vsy.jpg

Not long now and this will be finished :)

Normally I try to find gently used TS9 pedals on eBay and Reverb to mod and resell, but I just got these 5 brand new in box for only a few buck more! So this is what I'll be doing for the next couple of days. Though I've got some boosters that need finishing up as well.

IMG_6475.jpg

Are you going to daisy chain 5 tube screamers?! :o What do you hope to gain?

Heres the latest pics....

The walnut top 1

DSC_1870_zps9pgb2mjf.jpg

DSC_1883_zpsvckj7ysv.jpg

DSC_1886_zps0vrltkdh.jpg

DSC_1904_zpspltnu4cf.jpg

DSC_1921_zpsugluah59.jpg

and heres walnut top 2

DSC_1873_zpsfon1fivg.jpg

ef6b2071-af1d-4b83-a959-947d5e93b508_zpsxeoslxqu.jpg

And finally the maple top with that really nice Asian mahogany stuff (or whatever it is :))

DSC_1877_zpse8hfan7y.jpg

Built this two channel true bypass looper with a switchable clean boost. It's nice for vintage pedals or switching chains of multiple effects at one time with minimal connections between your guitar and amp. Also nice for A/B comparisons with non-true bypass pedals. Looks pretty ugly, especially because I drilled the DC jack hole to close to one of the switches. I could have used an external nut DC jack but didn't want to order a part just for cosmetic reasons on a utility pedal so used three washers instead

C7C82CC3-90E7-4F6D-8654-D3F6CE2B7D86_zpsz8zzxvjq.jpg

9FC8DD17-D141-4E95-9D81-C1C20D3D8E31_zpstadyvuqy.jpg

You're onto something here maybe....

Don't think I've seen that particular configuration before.

And it could be used as an A/B/Y box for 2 amps as well, yes?

The 'Dubbler'?

[thumbup][biggrin]

You're onto something here maybe....

Don't think I've seen that particular configuration before.

And it could be used as an A/B/Y box for 2 amps as well, yes?

The 'Dubbler'?

[thumbup][biggrin]

It's actually just two true bypass loops in series followed by a switchable clean boost. So no A/B/Y on this box. It would be simple enough to add that though

Yo...

Heres the latest..

Walnut top 1 getting shinier

DSC_1868_zpsyxc6wnbn.jpg

DSC_1875_zpse0ucdfvw.jpg

DSC_1880_zps8buotgiz.jpg

DSC_1911_zpssfch9pk5.jpg

DSC_1909_zps9vpxmuzo.jpg

And then the other two...

this is walnut top 2, I have given it a nice deep roundover on the back

DSC_1888_zpswdffdwfs.jpg

and this is the maple top one which had my normal style roundover

DSC_1890_zpsw2yeinyt.jpg

:)

Hello and heres the latest for anyone still interested...

Lol, I almost forget to add my headstock logo.. But its on now and getting its finish.. I do still have to look at what im going to do regarding my headstock logo.. I mean what I do now is ok.. but I could do better.. Some kind of inlay, or I was even thinking about getting a branding iron made of my logo and burn it in.. I am also looking at carving at the moment too. So we will see.

DSC_1910_zps8xdjsxxi.jpg

Also got binding on these next two builds done.. Check the maple top one.. I have left a strip of maple under the binding which I think will look really cool when I add the finish.. Then on walnut top 2 I did the binding the other way around with the white on the outside this time

DSC_1903_zpsms7ktsbb.jpg

DSC_1900_zpsvubimenq.jpg

DSC_1906_zpsk78zqacz.jpg

Hello and heres the latest for anyone still interested...

Lol, I almost forget to add my headstock logo.. But its on now and getting its finish.. I do still have to look at what im going to do regarding my headstock logo.. I mean what I do now is ok.. but I could do better.. Some kind of inlay, or I was even thinking about getting a branding iron made of my logo and burn it in.. I am also looking at carving at the moment too. So we will see.

DSC_1910_zps8xdjsxxi.jpg

Also got binding on these next two builds done.. Check the maple top one.. I have left a strip of maple under the binding which I think will look really cool when I add the finish.. Then on walnut top 2 I did the binding the other way around with the white on the outside this time

DSC_1903_zpsms7ktsbb.jpg

DSC_1900_zpsvubimenq.jpg

DSC_1906_zpsk78zqacz.jpg

Nice I think I prefer the look of the white side of the binding facing out for the walnut

Nice I think I prefer the look of the white side of the binding facing out for the walnut

Thanks man...

You know im not so sure myself... I think I like the black outside better..

But then that's a good thing.. im not really building guitars to my exact taste but more trying lots of different things out and see what works and what doesn't and what other people think... so the fact you like it even if I don't is good :)

I like rosewood and don't really have an issue with varied fretboard materials..

But every time I do an ebony one.. man I really do think they look the best...

DSC_1900_zps9pkqsd5b.jpg

check this pic.. if you look at the bottom you will see the holes on the workbench reflected in the fretboard.. and that's only sanded with 600 grit sandpaper.. No finish or buffing or anything.

DSC_1907_zpszlonldrk.jpg

I like rosewood and don't really have an issue with varied fretboard materials..

But every time I do an ebony one.. man I really do think they look the best...

DSC_1900_zps9pkqsd5b.jpg

check this pic.. if you look at the bottom you will see the holes on the workbench reflected in the fretboard.. and that's only sanded with 600 grit sandpaper.. No finish or buffing or anything.

DSC_1907_zpszlonldrk.jpg

Ooh that's sweet! Ebony is beautiful. That is cut super clean

Ooh that's sweet! Ebony is beautiful. That is cut super clean

Its a shame theres not much black ebony left.. I can still get mostly black, theres a couple of small streaks in it but I think it wont be long till even that stock is gone... it gets more expensive each year too.

So which colour do you guys like for this build.. I still keep changing my mind every other day :)

These are the real life colours and my mock ups are only rough ideas.. and you have to imagine it doesn't have a whammy bar, and is a double cut :)

DSC_1885_zpsdlrmiktj.jpg

DSC_1890_zps6epcwdig.jpg

and heres the mock ups.. I think im siding with the aquamarine colour at the moment.. they all look good in their own way though?

Image4_zpsemllnlfq.jpg

ebony_zpsmzeb0wfk.jpg

this is also very tempting

Image2_zpsuojsp8dr.jpg

Image3_zpslhfh64uq.jpg

Image1_zpsu5sjxwqc.jpg

And heres the latest..

Tuners and headstock veneer done... Plus the neck has been pretty much shaped...

DSC_1892_zpsg4wulr8s.jpg

All that's left now is the pickup holes... and bridge placement and I can start to finish :)

DSC_1896_zpsuxm602jk.jpg

DSC_1899_zpsg0wz14wt.jpg

Archived