Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Looking good! The patch piece is blending in nicely too, it'll look even better all oiled up [thumbup]

Johnny

Cheers man :)

And this is only the third time ive stained a guitar like this.. a fair few of my builds have been natural finishes...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got some oil on today

DSC_1914_zpskszvmted.jpg

Heres that lovely Asian Mahogany I got for the back and neck

DSC_1925_zpsipi24rc2.jpg

And I also did some natural binding type thing on the headstock... I just scraped the edges with a blade at an angle.

DSC_1894_zpso7d1tskl.jpg

:)

No fun DIY for me today. My window regulator in my '98 accord broke yesterday and the window dropped right into the door.

So I spent the last couple hours replacing the window regulator and motor. What a pain in the ***! The window was stuck all the way down so I had to reach into the door to free it up. Had no idea what I was doing but managed to get it working :0

• 3 weeks later...

Lookin good Rabs!

I had this enclosure lying around that I powdercoated quite a while ago and it was.. A learning experience [flapper]

Not my best powdercoating job (probably the worst I have done), but I didn't want to waste the enclosure anyway, so I built this Ge Fuzz Face in there last week. Kindof a sloppy wiring job since the powdercoating is pretty bad I didn't care about looks too much. But sound is a straight 10/10 [thumbup] This sounds pretty close to NKT275s, but these transistors are WAY more temp stable

A1D023EE-8DB1-4534-9724-F67AAA64E93A_zpsrl38dkz2.jpg

1AAB46F3-46D3-47F2-A78D-46F11BFD7E9A_zpsibv7niak.jpg

It's been a while since I've posted a non-fuzz build.. Here's a pitch-shifting tremolo that cops some Magnatone-esque modulation (I'm loving the hyphen today!). I've been diggin' on Lonnie Mack lately so this is pretty fun to use for his style

Oh yeah.. The tape was just my elegant lazy way of isolating the optical components in the circuit from ambient light in the enclosure

FB2BD764-0A48-4BEB-A5D0-E891BC18D505_zpsd8hsvvt1.jpg

E6B995CD-4DAF-4A0C-9D52-48597F753E45_zpsh438ug0w.jpg

Been working on a "look" for my Bigshot booster. I've been doing them in custom swirly boxes but I wanted a more production type design. Think I'm going with this grey. The giant knob is super easy to turn with your foot. Might ditch the LED bezel though.

IMG_7229.jpg

I love the new look for the booster! Really clean. Is that paint or powdercoat?

Thanks! It's paint. Ain't got no fancy powder coating apparatus. [biggrin]

It's more of a super shiny silver until the clear does on. I actually like the silver, so I may try just not clearcoating. The clear is really just for the water slide decal.

Of course, I'll probably just end up having Mammoth do them for me like they do for my Juice Boxes. Not cheap but it sure looks nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Yo!!

So heres the latest...

That blue guitar is being a slight pain to finish.. Just couldn't quite get it right.. But im pretty much there now

DSC_1911_zpshsv9dhlo.jpg

DSC_1912_zpsr8kp3jbc.jpg

And im pretty close with walnut top 2.. Did the neck and pickup holes today... Just need to drill the tuner holes and a final sand and I can start finishing this one to :)

DSC_1906_zpsqcehtqhb.jpg

DSC_1896_zpsltq8o5jc.jpg

DSC_1883_zpshoin7v6n.jpg

Look at that grain :)

DSC_1903_zpskv6s1ho7.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Yo...

So heres the latest on Walnut top 2...

I had a sudden change of mind when this guitar told me it needed a pickguard.. And who am I to disagree :)

So I made my own one from a sheet of white Perspex.

Heres the sheet... I mark the positions out for the pickups and neck...

DSC_1878_zps2nyez6kf.jpg

Then I cut it roughly to shape

DSC_1879_zpsph27io1b.jpg

And then make sure it all fits where it needs too

DSC_1880_zpszzt0rl4x.jpg

Then the screw holes

DSC_1882_zpsgnrbrqon.jpg

Then I countersink the holes

DSC_1884_zpsatb2hbiz.jpg

Sweeet

DSC_1885_zpsbagwd9pn.jpg

I also made the TRC with the same stuff

DSC_1892_zpse5uy0jan.jpg

So that's all ready for its oiling now... [thumbup]

Out of interest, this was my mock up for this guitar.. Gonna get quite close I think (obviously the wood is not quite the same as what I have)

walnut%203_zpsgafprqpu.jpg

I'm starting to put together a Fender Deluxe clone over here. Just got the chassis today

Yea!! I can't wait to see more pix as you get it built. You might try putting some masking tape over those transformers so they don't get scratched up while you're workiing on it. [thumbup] [thumbup]

That's a good idea. Thanks for the tip BBP! I think I'll cover the face with masking tape for now too. It's so polished to perfection, it'd be a shame to scratch it

I will post pics as I go, but progress will be a little slow since I'm gonna build the cab and I'm still waiting on some parts in the mail. Just wired the pilot light and filaments last night. This is my first amp build so I'm super excited :)

Love the grain on that last one Rabs. I've been following your builds too and your getting better all the time. Too bad your so far away on the other side of the pond, I'd like to try some and can't wait till you try some burst flames on one. I'm a fan of the vintage bursts and the reds but have neither Yet. Keep up the good work on the builds guys, the pedals look great too.

Love the grain on that last one Rabs. I've been following your builds too and your getting better all the time. Too bad your so far away on the other side of the pond, I'd like to try some and can't wait till you try some burst flames on one. I'm a fan of the vintage bursts and the reds but have neither Yet. Keep up the good work on the builds guys, the pedals look great too.

Thank you sir...

And yes I have a nice flame top in the waiting... I guess adding a burst to my work portfolio would be a good thing, a lot of people like it and may want it on a custom order..

Im pretty sure I can do it.. So watch this space :) (I really wanna do a honeyburst )

And finishing has started on this walnut top....

First what I did was add an antique pine stain (like a dirty yellow)... This really helps highlight the wood..

Heres the back and neck

DSC_1879_zpsncddusnv.jpg

DSC_1880_zpsbxxvi0ne.jpg

DSC_1883_zpsogqksxxv.jpg

And then did the same to the top.. I didn't do this on the last walnut top build so it will be interesting to see them side by side when its ready.

Pre stain

DSC_1889_zpsojx7fgbt.jpg

And after

DSC_1891_zpshzuf3qoh.jpg

Then once that had some time to dry, on goes the first layer of oil

DSC_1898_zpslt1wawu0.jpg

DSC_1901_zpsaivrolwp.jpg

Yeah baby.. I like that

DSC_1917_zpscybtw7xh.jpg

Love that walnut top Rabs. I'm probly gonna be asking you a bunch of questions about that oil finish you're using pretty soon here. Thinking of some cab finishing options for the amp build

I had a little more time to do some work on the amp last night. Progress is slow as I'm still figuring things out. The heater wiring on the preamp tubes was tripping me up. I redid it 3 or 4 times (good thing I bought lots of extra wire). That was a learning experience, I'm sure there's plenty more to come :P

Here's where it's at today.

0434EA9E-A464-481D-AE08-8A2BFB07C326_zpstupavf6d.jpg

E2EC09FA-D305-4163-A729-7702C20CB564_zpstv3ixqqs.jpg

Love that walnut top Rabs. I'm probly gonna be asking you a bunch of questions about that oil finish you're using pretty soon here. Thinking of some cab finishing options for the amp build

Yeah its a nice one for sure.. Should finish really well...

And of course you can ask me anything you like.. One of the points of this thread :)

You can start with these vids

And this guy is pretty good.. He has a load of guitar staining and finishing vids...

Archived