Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Ohh by the way.. I have a question for you wiring experts....

I have this wire which ive had sitting around for a while (use it to fix my washing machine).. And wanted to know if you guys think its good enough to use for wiring a guitar.. id say so but wanted to double check... mostly it will be used for ground wire

Any wire is really fine for the low voltage wiring of a guitar. Of course push-back cloth covered wire adds huge mojo. :rolleyes:

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any wire is really fine for the low voltage wiring of a guitar. Of course push-back cloth covered wire adds huge mojo. :rolleyes:

Yeah cool... that's what I thought so thanks for confirming it [thumbup]

Hmm heres an idea then.. How about using curly wire for guitar circuits ... ;)

Hmm heres an idea then.. How about using curly wire for guitar circuits ... ;)

Super groovy, man! [biggrin]

Of course the long curly cables added capacitance. I try to use the shortest wires possible in guitar and pedal circuits.

I didn't want to do the standby or ground switch on this so I left it unused.

The way the power is wired is basically the same in the sense that the first thing the hot wire hits is the fuse. The neutral wire connects to the black PT wire via the power switch (when switched in the ON position). The "rim" of the fuse is connected to the other black wire from the PT. Slightly different but the end result is the same.

Kind of the same but your layout leaves the tranny hot all the time, even when the power switch is off. That's a (slightly modified) old fashioned way of wiring it. It's not how amps are wired these days. They figured out that when the chassis is always grounded (with a 3 prong plug) that it's safer to have the switch up front. [thumbup]

Today was the moment of truth. I plugged in the amp and... Failure.

Checking voltages I realized I had nothing present at B+

Sure enough I trace the wires back to the rectifier tube socket and I had soldered the center tap from the OT primary and the wire from the first filter cap anode to pin 7 on the rectifier tube instead of pin 8.

Luckily no parts were damaged, and once I corrected that mistake everything was go. Plugged everything in and cranked it up (chassis and speaker on the floor) and it definitely works as it should. It's about 9pm here so I had to keep the testing brief but it's definitely sounding great. Very sweet overdriven sound with the Ric. I bet it will roar with the SG. Maybe I'll pop a 12AX7 in V1 and see how gritty that gets.

Well at the moment I'm feeling pretty proud. This thing is badass. Can't wait to get the cab built and take it out for some proper jamming

Rock!

btw love that you're trying to channel some Uncle Neil mojo. Hard to go wrong there.

Kind of the same but your layout leaves the tranny hot all the time, even when the power switch is off. That's a (slightly modified) old fashioned way of wiring it. It's not how amps are wired these days. They figured out that when the chassis is always grounded (with a 3 prong plug) that it's safer to have the switch up front. [thumbup]

Thanks for the advice BBP!

After I mulled over your advice at work yesterday, I checked voltages (power switch OFF) when I got home and I do see what you mean.

Live and learn!

What are your favorite tubes to run in these? I swapped a modern tung sol 12AX7 into V1 yesterday and I'm liking how it helps get more breakup with my Ric's low output pickups. Sounds pretty amazing that way actually

Rock!

btw love that you're trying to channel some Uncle Neil mojo. Hard to go wrong there.

Thanks J. My main intent was to have something with low headroom to complement the Twin Reverb. I think it will be excellent for that. Neil's sound is really unique, but this is coming pretty close

• 2 weeks later...

I restored the baffle for a 1972 Fender Princeton Reverb. I built a new baffle board and reinstalled the old grill cloth and emblem. Click on the pic of the restored amp below for a slideshow.

20161101_133438_zpsqzuiocg9.jpg

Well done. Such a great little amp. I have vowed never to be without one (or two) ever again! [thumbup]

So my brother in law works for this construction company in one of the largest retirement areas of the state. In addition to building homes, they do what are called "cleanouts". This is basically when a homeowner has died or defaulted on their mortgage and the family or the bank wants the house cleaned out to sell it. He has a habit of coming home with all sortsa old crap - drives his wife crazy. But this load was for me...

IMG_7591.jpg

A ton of vintage caps and carbon comp resistors... some ICs and other stuff too.

IMG_7592.jpg

IMG_7593.jpg

And these two little mechanical devices are turret presses. Since I build pedals on turret board, these are going to come in handy. Gonna have fun going through all this and picking out the stuff I can use for builds. If anyone needs anything specific as far as old caps etc, just say the word and I'll see if I can find ya one. [biggrin]

IMG_7594.jpg

Nice score! That turret staking tool is gonna be great for you!

Let me know if you unload any of those resistors, I can trade more germanium transistors :D

Here's a delay that I built for a friend. It has modulation and a switch that maxes out the feedback when you hold it down with your foot. The modulation goes from a subtle tape like shimmer to a more dramatic vibrato effect. Lots of fun!

F1E1468C-BA0E-40BF-B1F1-80FE6BFEC09A_zpsqy8ertpu.jpg

7F2D5983-75BF-4F7E-80DC-5D1C8FD2FEE8_zpsdsevvirs.jpg

Nice score! That turret staking tool is gonna be great for you!

Let me know if you unload any of those resistors, I can trade more germanium transistors :D

Hey T, let me know which values you use regularly. They are not likely the same ones I need and I'm sure I can part with them.

Archived