Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finished wiring my project SG

It is really tight to wire an SG so glad I did most of it on a cardboard template.

81A2D2D5-F9B7-4A32-9FAA-73B73C6ABCA7_zpsef3wjpiq.jpg

Nice shiny reflector knobs

43EA49B2-03C0-45D3-89DA-7DF90BB77945_zpsuhlpwfuf.jpg

And an aliuminum switch tip from Philadelphia Luthiers. Nice and cheap.

CA80272B-0AD0-46F4-B252-C518CECDAA10_zpsp1iwo1vj.jpg

Finished wiring my project SG

It is really tight to wire an SG so glad I did most of it on a cardboard template.

81A2D2D5-F9B7-4A32-9FAA-73B73C6ABCA7_zpsef3wjpiq.jpg

Nice shiny reflector knobs

43EA49B2-03C0-45D3-89DA-7DF90BB77945_zpsuhlpwfuf.jpg

And an aliuminum switch tip from Philadelphia Luthiers. Nice and cheap.

CA80272B-0AD0-46F4-B252-C518CECDAA10_zpsp1iwo1vj.jpg

That looks pro! Nice job on the pickups and shielding too! Can you do my SG for me? [-o<

Actually my SG does need new pots but I'm also thinking of putting a bigsby b3 on it with the "Towner" thingy on the stopbar studs. What do you think? Since the B3 screws in by the strap button, I'm pretty down with just screwing it on

The shielding tape makes it really easy, it is so malleable.

I just saw one of those bigsbys with the bar recently, don't remember where.

If I was going to put a bigsby on a guitar it'd definitely be an SG. Plus it would take care of the balance issue.

The shielding tape makes it really easy, it is so malleable.

I just saw one of those bigsbys with the bar recently, don't remember where.

If I was going to put a bigsby on a guitar it'd definitely be an SG. Plus it would take care of the balance issue.

Great job on the shielding, Stiffy. That SG is gonna be a beast. I dig the nickel over the chrome as well. I've occasionally tried getting that chrome off and it's a b!tch. Better just to swap out.

That looks shweet man.. Love the top... [thumbup]

Thanks,I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out. ;) ironically the box from Seymour Duncan just got here. It was not supposed to arrive till midweek....did not see it till after putting the guitar back together with these.

Yet again... Today was the first day I got anything done on this build this week... But hey ho.. These things happen..

So I needed to design and make my own shape control cavity for this build.. Because of the carve I cant quite place it all where I normally would (ala LP DC Special styleee)...

So I marked it all out

DSC_0108_zps1oi8gzzx.jpg

Then made a shape that fits the space I need

DSC_0115_zpslodcifxc.jpg

Make sure it all fits

DSC_0119_zpsgvvx1k4i.jpg

Made my templates (from MDF) one for the inner route and one for the rim

DSC_0132_zpscza6qmgc.jpg

Then route the out using a template bit with a bearing that follows it

DSC_0140_zpsoqibqc29.jpg

Sorted :)

DSC_0146_zpsohdchjox.jpg

DSC_0151_zpssm71fyxp.jpg

Then partly to have a look at the grain and mostly to give the body a clean and show up any marks or scratches that need sanding off I wet the body (very lightly)

DSC_0159_zps4vmjddlc.jpg

DSC_0166_zpssexhpwqa.jpg

DSC_0170_zpsz2dnonw5.jpg

[thumbup]

What router are you using? Mine just died doing a body. Nicked a good piece of wood when it went. I can save it as a top for something else. Experimenting with liquid dye today....that stuff does not wash off.

Err, this one I think.. Nothing too fancy... They tend to last a year or so before I kill the motor or the plunge feature stops working properly

http://www.diy.com/departments/jcb-1500w-240v-plunge-router-jcb-ro1500/177750_BQ.prd

Err, this one I think.. Nothing too fancy... They tend to last a year or so before I kill the motor or the plunge feature stops working properly

http://www.diy.com/departments/jcb-1500w-240v-plunge-router-jcb-ro1500/177750_BQ.prd

Does that mean they give you a free replacement or do you keep buying them?

If you guys want my opinion the Festool router is the bee's knees, especially if you have their vacuum system

Does that mean they give you a free replacement or do you keep buying them?

If you guys want my opinion the Festool router is the bee's knees, especially if you have their vacuum system

Ha I wish...

Well they do what I want and arnt to expensive.. If I ever get properly going I will invest in better tools.

Ha I wish...

Well they do what I want and arnt to expensive.. If I ever get properly going I will invest in better tools.

Your results from your router look really clean as is. You are already properly going buddy! I do know what you mean though and I truly wish things work out how you want

I have the luxury of having my company buy tools for me (though they wouldn't be mine if I quit). I am freakin LOVING the Festool stuff we've started getting. When you have the vacuum hooked up you don't have to wear a mask or make a crazy mess. That = happier working and less cleanup time right away. Their stuff is just designed to not cut your fingers off and stuff like that. I like it

Your results from your router look really clean as is. You are already properly going buddy! I do know what you mean though and I truly wish things work out how you want

I have the luxury of having my company buy tools for me (though they wouldn't be mine if I quit). I am freakin LOVING the Festool stuff we've started getting. When you have the vacuum hooked up you don't have to wear a mask or make a crazy mess. That = happier working and less cleanup time right away. Their stuff is just designed to not cut your fingers off and stuff like that. I like it

Well that's exactly what I mean.. Stuff like dust collectors and proper stable bench tools... The thing is to get that I need the room so need a proper workshop.. But before I make that step I need to build things up a bit first or it could all be a waste...

Step by step :)

I mean I do ok at the moment.. But it would be far easier for me to have all the nice tools.. Like an automatic planner that thins wood out level. Man that's one thing I really need.. and a table saw... and a drill press.. and and and :)

Well that's exactly what I mean.. Stuff like dust collectors and proper stable bench tools... The thing is to get that I need the room so need a proper workshop.. But before I make that step I need to build things up a bit first or it could all be a waste...

Step by step :)

I mean I do ok at the moment.. But it would be far easier for me to have all the nice tools.. Like an automatic planner that thins wood out level. Man that's one thing I really need.. and a table saw... and a drill press.. and and and :)

Dude how are you not using a planer or table saw?? Are you a human cnc with that router?

Sweet [thumbup] And yes.. Gloves are a must when staining :)

I got some more done today.. Making the neck

Got the headstock more to shape

DSC_0103_zpsmdgb3y75.jpg

DSC_0104_zpsoby5fbq6.jpg

Need some wings for the headstock to make it wide enough.. For which I use the offcuts from the bottom of the headstock

DSC_0106_zpsmw2z7jcl.jpg

DSC_0108_zpsnkaajuqb.jpg

Then I did most of the tenon (just the bottom to finish)

DSC_0143_zpsimytuksl.jpg

And then I trimmed the sides of the neck down using the fretboard as a guide for the router.. and glued the wings on

DSC_0154_zps3rxzpwro.jpg

So tomorrow will be fretting day and then if I have enough time I will glue the neck and body together .. Cant wait for that :)

Finger boards are the toughest component for me to get everything just right. If the dye gets here I'll do the sunburst on the front side tonight and finish the front tomorrow. I went with the "hockey stick" head stock. Thinking about doing the "V"style instead. Not setting the neck for awhile so time to decide....might have to make two.

Archived