• « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The DIY thread

#1461 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:31 AM

Looking great Rabs!! Any more progress this weekend?

I've been working on a few finish samples for the cabinets. The gel stain that I got was absolutely hideous. So I'm going back to the water based dye stain that I had which I'm actually kinda liking.

This is a little darker than I want, I'm gonna try some water based pre stain conditioner to see if that lightens and evens the tone enough to bother with, if not I think I'm gonna just dilute the stain a bit

Posted Image
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

#1462 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 May 2017 - 11:59 AM

No.. Havent been at it this weekend.. Tomorrow hopefully :)

And that stain.. Is that green?
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#1463 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 May 2017 - 03:29 PM

Rabs, on 14 May 2017 - 11:59 AM, said:

No.. Havent been at it this weekend.. Tomorrow hopefully :)

And that stain.. Is that green?

Yeah it's green. Just did another sample with the conditioner and that's just what I wanted so gonna do that hopefully today
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

#1464 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 May 2017 - 05:15 PM

View PostDub-T-123, on 14 May 2017 - 03:29 PM, said:

Yeah it's green. Just did another sample with the conditioner and that's just what I wanted so gonna do that hopefully today

Cool... Im not sure if ive ever seen a green amp before? :-k
"Im the one thats going to have to die when its time for me to die. So let me live my life, the way I WANT TOO" Jimi Hendrix

#1465 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:00 PM

Rabs, on 14 May 2017 - 05:15 PM, said:

Cool... Im not sure if ive ever seen a green amp before? :-k

There's an amp company called Green that makes green amps which is in the Orange and Matamp family. Those have green tolex

I've seen green stained amps before too so it's not the first but should look cool.

I stained the cab today. The back panel is lacquered up, the cab is gonna have to wait till tomorrow, ran out of sunlight. Staining the cab went well overall. I have a couple little blotches on the side which I'm hoping to eliminate but the conditioner did its job
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

#1466 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 14 May 2017 - 09:04 PM

Cool.. Look forward to seeing the pics [thumbup] (and eventually hearing it :))

#1467 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 May 2017 - 08:57 PM

Here's something kinda fun. I built this little mic for my iPhone which can record a loud amp or full band without all the clipping that you get from the built in mic.

Posted Image

Ironically I built this the day that I finally upgraded to the iPhone 7 which has no headphone jack. Anyway, my old 5C will just be a tool for capturing music ideas and maybe doing some demos now
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

#1468 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:03 PM

View PostDub-T-123, on 18 May 2017 - 08:57 PM, said:

Here's something kinda fun. I built this little mic for my iPhone which can record a loud amp or full band without all the clipping that you get from the built in mic.

Ironically I built this the day that I finally upgraded to the iPhone 7 which has no headphone jack. Anyway, my old 5C will just be a tool for capturing music ideas and maybe doing some demos now

Very cool [thumbup]

Put a case on it and you could sell those I reckon :)

#1469 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:21 PM

Rabs, on 18 May 2017 - 09:03 PM, said:

Very cool [thumbup]

Put a case on it and you could sell those I reckon :)

Yeah I agree. No idea where to even start with making a little plastic housing though. What I think would be better would be one that uses the lightning port and has like a 6" or so wire that holds its shape so you can set the phone down and easily point the mic at the speaker or whatever.
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

#1470 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:24 PM

View PostDub-T-123, on 18 May 2017 - 09:21 PM, said:

Yeah I agree. No idea where to even start with making a little plastic housing though. What I think would be better would be one that uses the lightning port and has like a 6" or so wire that holds its shape so you can set the phone down and easily point the mic at the speaker or whatever.

Buy some appropriate sized metal tubing? That's probably what id do..

#1471 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 19 May 2017 - 08:51 PM

Pretty much done now.. I think :)

Next week we get to see the final results :D
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#1472 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member

Posted 26 May 2017 - 09:30 PM

Gonna take this back apart to do some more clear coats this weekend but couldn't resist putting it together loosely for a progress photo

Posted Image
Posted Image
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

#1473 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:20 PM

Very cool Dub [thumbup] Kind of reminds me of what I go for on my builds.. Familiar but slightly different :)

And talk of builds... :)

Did my first ever shielding on a guitar today.. My LPs don't have shielding and neither have my other builds so far and ive never had issues with interference. Soo.. BUT for what ever reason I decided that this build wanted it and of course some experience with it is always a good thing too. So here we are :)

Whats your views on shielding? Necessary?

Anyway... so I have that copper tape stuff.. Pretty easy to do really, you just need some kind of tool with a rounded end like the handle of a screwdriver and run it round just making sure the tape is as flat as it will go and all secure.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice.. then I did some buffing.. So at least that's all finished
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More below

#1474 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 27 May 2017 - 01:22 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So there we are.. I did want to do the fretwork today but realised too late that my tools were at home :) doh... So that will have to wait for next time.. Possibly tomorrow, if not then Monday.. THEN I can get this build finished WOOO cant wait :D

#1475 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:13 AM

Rabs, on 27 May 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Very cool Dub [thumbup] Kind of reminds me of what I go for on my builds.. Familiar but slightly different :)

And talk of builds... :)

Did my first ever shielding on a guitar today.. My LPs don't have shielding and neither have my other builds so far and ive never had issues with interference. Soo.. BUT for what ever reason I decided that this build wanted it and of course some experience with it is always a good thing too. So here we are :)

Anyway... so I have that copper tape stuff.. Pretty easy to do really, you just need some kind of tool with a rounded end like the handle of a screwdriver and run it round just making sure the tape is as flat as it will go and all secure.
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice.. then I did some buffing.. So at least that's all finished
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

More below

Thanks Rabs!

I haven't shielded any of my guitars yet but I need to. Apparently a properly shielded guitar doesn't do that thing where it buzzes until you touch one of the grounded metal parts. Should be a really good thing supposedly
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

#1476 User is offline   surfpup 

• Picker and Grinner
  • LocationSaint Augustine, FL

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:29 AM

View PostRabs, on 27 May 2017 - 01:20 PM, said:

Anyway... so I have that copper tape stuff..

Necessary for single coils, yes, but not for humbuckers in my experience. I use the tape as well, but make sure you connect all the cavities together and connect them to ground or else it doesn't do much good.

#1477 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:34 AM

View Postsurfpup, on 28 May 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

Necessary for single coils, yes, but not for humbuckers in my experience. I use the tape as well, but make sure you connect all the cavities together and connect them to ground or else it doesn't do much good.

I may try the shielded wire method since I have a lot of that already. One thing that seems to be good about the foil is that you can connect it to the underside of the pickguard if you have static issues with the pickguard like on a Fender
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

#1478 User is offline   surfpup 

• Picker and Grinner
  • LocationSaint Augustine, FL

Posted 28 May 2017 - 09:38 AM

View PostDub-T-123, on 28 May 2017 - 09:34 AM, said:

I may try the shielded wire method since I have a lot of that already. One thing that seems to be good about the foil is that you can connect it to the underside of the pickguard if you have static issues with the pickguard like on a Fender

Yeah, I leave a little overlay from the cavities onto the flat of the top - about 1/8". Then when the pickguard goes on the shielding touches. No static!

#1479 User is offline   Rabs 

• Advanced Member
  • LocationLondon, U.K.

Posted 28 May 2017 - 10:49 AM

View Postsurfpup, on 28 May 2017 - 09:29 AM, said:

Well I have used humbucker sized P90s in a lot of my builds and indeed this build is going to have a SD version in the neck.. So hopefully it will help hum issues.. :)

And yeah I know that each one has to be grounded.. I put a small amount of overlay on the control cavity lip so it touches the backplate shielding..

#1480 User is online   Dub-T-123 

• Advanced Member

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:25 PM

Welp, this thread is completely ****ed now that Photobucket did it's little thing. You guys wanna start a new one or continue here with 74 pages of broken pics?
''/\_/\
( - . - )
(,,) (,,)

Share this topic:

• (75 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users