Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

photo-569.jpg

photo-2206.jpg

Maestro MFZ-1 clone. Basically an op amp based fuzz from Gibson's Norlin era.

I actually built it a couple months ago but just wired up the LED n stuff today. This isn't really my prettiest wiring ever but it sounds really sweet.

Here's a quick n dirty clip. I'll post more later.

This is with a tiny solid state amp and recorded with my iPhone, so take that into consideration

doesn't sound like a tiny s/s amp - sounds lovely!

Thanks! It's pretty mellow for a fuzz with the gain maxed out huh?

it has good excellent note separation for a maxxed fuzz - and really nice sparkly highs..... I may commission you to build me one if you are taking orders - I am that impressed!

Thanks for the kind words! The note seperation is what I'm loving about this pedal.

I've actually already posted this pedal up for sale on another forum. PM me if you want it (I could always build more in the future as well).

Thanks for the kind words! The note seperation is what I'm loving about this pedal.

I've actually already posted this pedal up for sale on another forum. PM me if you want it (I could always build more in the future as well).

Hi there Dub - tried messaging you, but got a notfication that you can't receive any more PMs.... I will leave it a day or two and try again.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend,

Manse

I recorded a little clip of my MKII ToneBender for you guys just now. Same tiny solid state amp, YouTube compression, and iPhone recording, so again please take that into consideration.

I've got the bias control set where it sounds "proper" to me. You can get some more sputtery or compressed sounds depending on how you set that control, but I stuck with the normal sound for this little clip.

Awesome! That purple color is sweet.

You used PNP silicon transistors while you wait for the germaniums or are you gonna rewire it to be positive ground?

I drilled this box for a fuzz for my bassist today. I still need to wire it up, not sure what I'll do for the finish. Anyways, I drilled it sort of inspired by the old school fuzzes that only have a bypass switch on the face. It will be my bassists only pedal, so I wasn't concerned with pedalboard friendliness.

photo-1038.jpg

photo-2283.jpg

Awesome! That purple color is sweet.

You used PNP silicon transistors while you wait for the germaniums or are you gonna rewire it to be positive ground?

I'm gonna leave it PNP (which is positive ground) and I ordered PNP germanium transistors. At first I was worried about putting it on my board (power supply, etc), but I've really got enough there, so I decided to go old school. I did wire up a power jack just in case though. (Notice the ink that says "PNP danger" nest to the jack) [biggrin]

Yeah I was just wondering if the transistors in it right now are PNP silicon or if you're running NPN transistors in a positive ground circuit.

Ever thought about using a charge pump so you can daisy chain it with PNP germaniums?

Yeah I was just wondering if the transistors in it right now are PNP silicon or if you're running NPN transistors in a positive ground circuit.

Is that possible? I figured the trannies would pfffffftttttt (though I guess silicon is more durable that germanium).

Ever thought about using a charge pump so you can daisy chain it with PNP germaniums?

You lost me at charge pump. [biggrin] I'm still a newb at this stuff.

Finishing up a four-knob Fuzz Face.

Man, what was I thinking trying to cram all this into a 1590B enclosure? #-o

DSC_0002-6.jpg

DSC_0003-5.jpg

NIce!! Try using the silicon transistor for Q1 and a germanium for Q2. I did that, and they sound godly. yea, I know what you mean about the space. That is why I ordered it with the bigger enclosure.

img0698rc.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-06-12

img0699mg.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-06-12

img0700d.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-06-16

img0701sb.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-06-16

Is that possible? I figured the trannies would pfffffftttttt (though I guess silicon is more durable that germanium).

Yeah. The fuzz that I'm working on right now uses 3 NPN transistors and 1 PNP. It gives it some octave-y overtones. For example the Green Ringer works like this.

You lost me at charge pump. [biggrin] I'm still a newb at this stuff.

Well, when you have a positive ground circuit you can still run it off of a regular Boss type power supply if you wire it a certain way, but you can't daisy chain it with regular (negative ground) pedals. You'd need a power supply with isolated outputs or it would need its own power supply.

You can use a charge pump to invert the polarity so you can power your positive ground circuit like any other pedal. You can also use a charge pump to increase the voltage so if you have a pedal that requires 18v or something you can use a charge pump to double the voltage so you can get 18v from a 9v power supply.

The Klon uses a charge pump, the Electric Mistress uses one..

Well, when you have a positive ground circuit you can still run it off of a regular Boss type power supply if you wire it a certain way, but you can't daisy chain it with regular (negative ground) pedals. You'd need a power supply with isolated outputs or it would need its own power supply.

You can use a charge pump to invert the polarity so you can power your positive ground circuit like any other pedal. You can also use a charge pump to increase the voltage so if you have a pedal that requires 18v or something you can use a charge pump to double the voltage so you can get 18v from a 9v power supply.

The Klon uses a charge pump, the Electric Mistress uses one..

Think my head just exploded. So the charge pump is something you wire inside the pedal - not something related to the outboard power supply? I'll Google that later. If I'm using a PNP fuzz on battery only can I daisy chain its signal with NPN effects?

Can I run the flux capacitor off of banana peels like they do in Back to the Future?

On a related note, I bought another Electric Mistress off eBay today. Gonna see if I can get it to play nice with my pedal board. I miss that sound. Still looking for a Small Stone though.

Think my head just exploded. So the charge pump is something you wire inside the pedal - not something related to the outboard power supply? I'll Google that later. If I'm using a PNP fuzz on battery only can I daisy chain its signal with NPN effects?

Can I run the flux capacitor off of banana peels like they do in Back to the Future?

On a related note, I bought another Electric Mistress off eBay today. Gonna see if I can get it to play nice with my pedal board. I miss that sound. Still looking for a Small Stone though.

Google will explain it a lot better than I can :P

You can build them on veroboard or some PCBs are set up for them. I think guitarpcb has a board for them

When I say you can't daisy chain it, I mean you can't daisy chain the POWER along with negative ground effects. You can still use your positive ground effects on your board along with negative ground effects if you use a battery.

Did you get an Electric Mistress or Deluxe Electric Mistress? I want the original Electric Mistress.

Archived