Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got my first shipment of pro powder coated Big Toe enclosures...

the plan is to put the LED in the toe.

Big%20Toe%20pro.jpeg

Is that a waterslide or did you get them printed?

I'm getting a batch of powdercoated/printed enclosures pretty soon. I'm thinking about doing a run of modded Rangemasters with a lot of mullard germs that I bought. Now that I got my Fuzzrite I'm wanting to do a run of copies of that too. The Fuzzrite might just take over because that pedal is so freaking awesome

Is that a waterslide or did you get them printed?

I'm getting a batch of powdercoated/printed enclosures pretty soon. I'm thinking about doing a run of modded Rangemasters with a lot of mullard germs that I bought. Now that I got my Fuzzrite I'm wanting to do a run of copies of that too. The Fuzzrite might just take over because that pedal is so freaking awesome

Printed by Mammoth. All my old stuff was waterslide (or swirlies with no graphics). I've been getting my Juice Box enclosures printed by Mammoth for a while now, but this will be my first run of boosters with printed graphics.

"Modded Rangemaster" - I think I came a little! [wub]

A lot less than a straight up Deluxe Memory Man though! Board prep was the tedious part with 69 cuts and 25 links. Was it worth the money I saved from not buying the PCB? I dunno.. Haha

Not worth it $ wise probably - depending on what your time is worth to you. But knowing that you made it yourself is priceless. [thumbup] That pedal represents a lot of work though - you're going to need to get $500 for it! [biggrin]

The PCB is definitely worth it lol. I just built that on a whim since I already had all the parts for it

Here's another one. It's a Catalinbread Sabbra Cadabra clone. Basically a Tony Iommi emulator :o

4801689F-50A4-4083-9E41-3B80CDE86163_zpsiodxgeo1.jpg

Killer! Your outside shots are always great. [thumbup]

Finished up that custom order for a swirlie Bigshot booster (Super Hard On clone).

The clear coats take days to dry - pain in the A$$ - but they do look cool.

IMG_5036.jpg

IMG_5038_2.jpg

Nice pup! The aluminum knob is a nice touch. Something that needs to be appreciated first hand

Here's another build fresh off the block. Green Sovtek Big Muff for my buddy. I built this with cheap ceramic disc caps to get closer to the sound of the original muffs which used the cheapest ceramic caps. Ironically the green Sovtek model used film caps, but either way, this pedal really sounds sweet.

95CAC948-0119-4E87-8B2A-597248E2EA9D_zps3bvqfr6i.jpg

CA9BC93F-0D7E-46D8-AC4B-B721E0E8417B_zpsf37rv6wi.jpg

The latest Sig 800 build..this one for Mr. Brett Kingman in Australia (yes, the gear demo guy. Getting a pro demo done).

3ubAGtZ.png

Also, a today I did a little "naked" sound sample...guitar, pedal, DI'd into the interface. No cab sim, no EQ. Raw input. This is in the Modern setting (there's an internal slide switch that goes between a more scooped, bassier tone (Modern) and a more middy, less bassy tone (Vintage)).

Guitar is my 1964 Gibson Melody Maker with a Wolfetone P90 in the bridge. Bass was at 9:00, mids at noon, treble at 3:00. Drive at max, volume around unity or a little higher.

Starts off bypassed, then on, and then with the guitar volume backed off to about 6 towards the end.

-Ryan

Nice pup! The aluminum knob is a nice touch. Something that needs to be appreciated first hand

Thanks. That's a $2 knob right there, but they are so awesome that I always use them on my swirlies.

Since I had to order parts to fill the guy's order, I went ahead and ordered enough to build two.

Here's the other one..

IMG_5039.jpg

Here's another build fresh off the block. Green Sovtek Big Muff for my buddy. I built this with cheap ceramic disc caps to get closer to the sound of the original muffs which used the cheapest ceramic caps. Ironically the green Sovtek model used film caps, but either way, this pedal really sounds sweet.

Not that there isn't a ton of info out on the internet, but I've got a tall font russian, I'm the original owner. I replaced one pot, but it's otherwise stock (still have the pot). If you ever need any tech details from it, I'm your guy. I even have the wooden box and battery cover!

Not that there isn't a ton of info out on the internet, but I've got a tall font russian, I'm the original owner. I replaced one pot, but it's otherwise stock (still have the pot). If you ever need any tech details from it, I'm your guy. I even have the wooden box and battery cover!

Very cool! Thanks for the offer. Man of course I want to know everything! If you could get some clear high res pics of the components it would be pretty easy for me to read the color codes and figure out how they fit into the well known Big Muff topology

The capacitor values are a little harder because the codes are usually printed on the sides, but those codes should be easy to read as well

The battery cover thing drives me crazy! My Superfuzz is missing the battery cover, no chance of ever finding a replacement

Very cool! Thanks for the offer. Man of course I want to know everything! If you could get some clear high res pics of the components it would be pretty easy for me to read the color codes and figure out how they fit into the well known Big Muff topology

The capacitor values are a little harder because the codes are usually printed on the sides, but those codes should be easy to read as well

The battery cover thing drives me crazy! My Superfuzz is missing the battery cover, no chance of ever finding a replacement

Some day I'll get a 3D printer, and I'll print battery cover clones for the masses!

Caps ought to be easy enough to read in here.

Here's a sample photo:

IMG_4783_zpseaprqqbe.jpg

Here's the rest of the shots.

http://s300.photobucket.com/user/romaneseuntdomus/library/Tall%20Font%20Russian

I left it apart, so if you'd like any other detail shots, I am happy to oblige.

Great pics. Thanks very much! One thing that I notice right away is that they did use ceramic caps! I'll be looking over these pics more carefully, thanks again!

How do you like the pedal? The black sovtek muff was the first pedal I bought. I love em

I bought it for my bass back in the 90s. It's epic on bass. Absolutely epic.

It does pretty well on guitar too... it's over the top distortion, and it's not exactly practical, but it has its place. It's sure fun to kick it in and just let loud be loud.

And I'm glad you like the pics. Make cool stuff with the knowledge!

Just finished up my first Big Toe booster in the pro powder-coated enclosures. I think the little LED in

the big toe turned out pretty cool. Sounds b!tchin' too of course. [biggrin] I plan to do 10 this summer.

IMG_5055_2.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

Just finished up my first Big Toe booster in the pro powder-coated enclosures. I think the little LED in

the big toe turned out pretty cool. Sounds b!tchin' too of course. [biggrin] I plan to do 10 this summer.

IMG_5055_2.jpg

IMG_5052.jpg

Looking good buddy! Where are you selling these? Your eBay store?

I'm still gearing up for that run of 30 modded Rangemasters. I bought a ton of cool parts from who I presume to be an old radio guy from the UK. Lots of wima TFM caps, mullard mustard caps, various other NOS European caps, and more mullard and newmarket and Philips germanium than I've ever seen in my life! Ok that's cheating because these parts are scarce in the US and very expensive so I've hardly gotten my mitts on any before. It was a big investment compared to just buying standard parts off the shelf but will pay off.

I also got a few mullard OC81 and a mullard OC81D (the original MKII bender transistor!) so those will make a couple most excellent fuzzes that I probly won't sell

Looking good buddy! Where are you selling these? Your eBay store?

Yeah and straight from my website (thanks to the help of our own Ryan). I'd say about 75% of my sales are coming from eBay still. But about 10% come from Reverb and 10% straight from the website (which is nice since there are no fees except PayPal). [thumbup] The other 5% are from social media.

I'm still gearing up for that run of 30 modded Rangemasters. I bought a ton of cool parts from who I presume to be an old radio guy from the UK... It was a big investment compared to just buying standard parts off the shelf but will pay off.

Sweet! I found a radio guy who had the germanium diodes I use in my Big Toe boosters for about 25% of what I could get them for from the usual suspects (Mammoth, Small Bear, etc). You need to keep me posted on those Rangemasters my friend. [thumbup] You going old school one knob? Or going to make the range adjustable?

Archived