Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

I want to build one for myself now haha. It's a very useful idea. The part that I like is that you can use it as a clean blend or to blend to seperate pedals. I don't usually like the sound of clean blends but mixing two different dirt pedals or really just any kind of pedal sounds interesting. As long as the buffering doesn't mess up my sound I'm sold

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to build one for myself now haha. It's a very useful idea. The part that I like is that you can use it as a clean blend or to blend to seperate pedals. I don't usually like the sound of clean blends but mixing two different dirt pedals or really just any kind of pedal sounds interesting. As long as the buffering doesn't mess up my sound I'm sold

I've been told 2N5458's are best for this application. Might not work too well with germ fuzzes and such, but most pedals should work fine.

I'm using Mark's Split 'n' Blend layout, with the modification of putting the second set of Send/Return jacks between the far-right 100n and lug 3 of the Blend pot.

Split+n+Blend.png

-Ryan

I usually only use 2 or 3 pedals in my setup, one of which is almost always some kind of Ge fuzz lol. Even the Si fuzzes usually behave noticeably different behind a buffer

I wonder if you could put the buffer so that it comes after the fuzz, and still have it accomplish the same thing. That would make the cable in front of the buffer a lot longer. It would probably just load down the fuzz or whatever pedal is in the loop at that point

I usually only use 2 or 3 pedals in my setup, one of which is almost always some kind of Ge fuzz lol. Even the Si fuzzes usually behave noticeably different behind a buffer

I wonder if you could put the buffer so that it comes after the fuzz, and still have it accomplish the same thing. That would make the cable in front of the buffer a lot longer. It would probably just load down the fuzz or whatever pedal is in the loop at that point

The thing is, the main purpose of the buffers is to split the signal in such a way that the parallel input impedance of the two pedals don't load the signal down. If you put the buffer After the fuzz, you'd put the 2.2M input resistor of the blender in parallel with whatever the input resistor of the fuzz is, and you'd get some serious loading.

One possibility is to integrate a switchable Jack Orman (AMZ) Pickup Simulator after one of the buffers. This would give your fuzz the high-impedance it wants to see http://www.muzique.com/lab/pickups.htm . The little transformer you need is only about 1 square inch, and it's only a resistor and a cap after that for the basic simulator. Should easily fit in the box.

-Ryan

Very cool. I haven't heard of that "pickup simulator" solution. I'll have to give that a try, thanks for the link

I just bought a little transformer in my last parts order but a different one than the amz article called for. I'll have to order the right one and give it a shot

Very cool. I haven't heard of that "pickup simulator" solution. I'll have to give that a try, thanks for the link

I just bought a little transformer in my last parts order but a different one than the amz article called for. I'll have to order the right one and give it a shot

It would probably be a cool little addon in any fuzz box, switchable at the input. Would allow you to put the fuzz anywhere you want in your signal path, without having to worry about buffers.

-Ryan

Hey surfpup looks like I spoke too soon. Got more OC81D coming my way already, as well as some OC75. More ToneBenders ahoy!

Hook me up, bro. (Or just PM me the bottom line) I have boosters and attenuators I can trade too - just sayin'. [biggrin]

The OC81D is suuuuper rare. I haven't seen any NOS pieces up for sale, all you can get is the odd piece clipped from an old radio.

I only got a few tested pieces off eBay (for an unbelievably high price) so I don't have any to spare at all. Sorry bud.

The OC75 is still pretty available, though also very expensive (the OC81D still costs 3x as much or more). I have tons of "normal" Ge transistors that I can give you a set of for free or cheap, but I don't have any sweet hook ups for the rare British stuff. I can send you eBay links but the prices are crazy and I just bought the best ones off eBay already

Got these little experiments in today...on the left is an SMD Opamp buffer..in the middle is a single SMD JFET buffer. Fender Medium pick for scale. The JFET one is stupid small..the size of the fingernail on my pinkie.

gHZom7b.png

Can't wait until my components come in...

-Ryan

Wow! Those are some tiny boards! I don't have much patience for soldering SMD parts, especially if I drop one in the carpet (gone forever). But the cost and size does make them attractive. What you save in money you pay for in extra build time and frustration I guess, but you can't beat the size for sure

Are these for your loop blend?

Wow! Those are some tiny boards! I don't have much patience for soldering SMD parts, especially if I drop one in the carpet (gone forever). But the cost and size does make them attractive. What you save in money you pay for in extra build time and frustration I guess, but you can't beat the size for sure

Are these for your loop blend?

These are just general purpose. Could think of a lot of uses for them. Might stick one on an internal switch with every pedal; the board itself costs me a whole $0.20, and the components are under $0.50. For the little one it's 11 SMD pads..not too bad.

Luckily my workspace floor is flat concrete; easy to find small stuff that falls :P

-Ryan

Well folks. I'm in love again. Another Mutron Phasor II, this time in a 1590B. 6 stage optical phaser in a MXR sized box? You gotta be kidding me. I love this thing

That's nice. I miss my old Phasor II - hands down the best phase pedal I've owned.

Thanks pup. You want a link to where I bought the PCB? I'm happy to share my advice, and I really think you should give it a go!

This has been a really satisfying build for me. I'm just real happy with it. Unfortunately I gotta say bye bye, this one is going to a friend but I'm making 3 more

Thanks pup. You want a link to where I bought the PCB? I'm happy to share my advice, and I really think you should give it a go!

Definitely. Send it along. [thumbup]

Been thinking about building one of these Tonebender kits too... thoughts? You are more familiar with Tonebenders than anyone I know.

Here ya go. You're gonna have to register on the forum if you're not already a member, and message the OP Kygull

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=20346.0

Yes I've bought from Chris before and he's a good guy with lots of nice stuff. That's a nice kit, all of the components are good, and it's a cool enclosure. The price is good if you only want to make one, you may spend more than that if you source everything separately.

I do have those same OC42 trannies, and have used them in the MKII. They're great, but not always my favorite choice for the MKII. I guess they can feel slightly less dynamic and focused than some other stuff. The bias pot in this kit should help with that, and of course I'm nit picking here.. So all in all it's a cool kit, I'd say worth the scratch and if you want to buy other transistors to experiment with later that's cool too

Damn that's tight! All those standing resistors...my OCD is killing me. I'm like Mark from tagboardeffects; I hate standing resistors. Still, mighty impressive he was able to fit all that in a B...

Pretty cool stuff.

-Ryan

Lol as you can see they don't really bother me. I could have used 1/8W resistors but didn't really want to order them when I've already got everything in 1/4W

Btw, shhh keep it a secret, but I've been added as an admin at tagboard effects, so you guys will see some of my layouts there on the main site soon (no standing resistors of course). I'm excited to start

Btw, shhh keep it a secret, but I've been added as an admin at tagboard effects, so you guys will see some of my layouts there on the main site soon (no standing resistors of course). I'm excited to start

Congrats... well deserved, man! [thumbup]

Oh Damn! Congrats man. Can't wait to see the stuff you put up there.

-Ryan

Thanks! I'll post a link to my first layout. I don't wanna spoil it, but it's a schematic that I traced from one of my own pedals that you won't find anywhere else on the net

I finished this MK1.5 Bender tonight. Based on the two transistor Tone Bender from Sola Sound. Similar to a germanium fuzz face, but a little different. Speaking of Ge fuzz face, I just bought some real deal NKT275s, but that's another story. Anyway

6A8214DC-AB7E-4F0A-B5FE-00DCF0C50333_zpspvdkk4uj.jpg

Thanks! I'll post a link to my first layout. I don't wanna spoil it, but it's a schematic that I traced from one of my own pedals that you won't find anywhere else on the net

Nice! When do you think we can expect to see it? Been about 5 months since there were any layouts posted on tagboardeffects...hope Mark's doing okay with that trapped nerve.

Nice clean looking pedal as always, man.

-Ryan

Archived