Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

So what exactly are you changing or are you keeping that a secret?

Sorry, Dub I didn't see this when you posted it...

I'm pretty much doing what this Keeley guy does to his. http://www.robertkeeley.com/product.php?id=5

I do it cheaper of course. I also don't lower the 51k "drive resistor" all the way to 20k like he does. Some say this helps the pedal to clean up better. I think it adds too much noise to the pedal, and I think it cleans up enough. I do not use the RC or JRC chip either. I have my own preference that sounds much smoother to my ears - more EJ than SRV I guess you could say.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks surfpup! If I build a Tube Screamer I'll definately try some of those mods.

Last night I modded my OCD clone to be switchable between the standard clipping from the 2N7000 FETs to clipping from a pair of red 5mm LEDs.

It's a pretty nice mod. You get a little more clarity and gain. I prefer it to the stock clipping. I think I may try swapping out the op amp as well, but this pedal is sounding absolutely incredible as it is now.

I highly recommend the LED mod for the OCD. It's kindof a subtle difference but it sounds noticably better IMO.

Thanks surfpup! If I build a Tube Screamer I'll definately try some of those mods.

Last night I modded my OCD clone to be switchable between the standard clipping from the 2N7000 FETs to clipping from a pair of red 5mm LEDs.

It's a pretty nice mod. You get a little more clarity and gain. I prefer it to the stock clipping. I think I may try swapping out the op amp as well, but this pedal is sounding absolutely incredible as it is now.

I highly recommend the LED mod for the OCD. It's kindof a subtle difference but it sounds noticably better IMO.

Cool. I have not tried LEDs for clipping, but I know some people prefer them. I remember reading that Tom Scholz was a big fan of LED clipping in his own home built gear and in the ubiquitous "Rockman" of the 80s that he sold so many of.

You have to try LED clipping! Whenever I have the opportunity to try different diodes in a circuit, LEDs tend to be my favorites. They seem to usually give a nice loud, beefy, and clear sound.

I also love watching them pulse as I play. That's just so cool to me for some reason.

Nooo this thread is sinking into the abyss.

I finished building my Big Muff tonight. Sorry for the terrible picture, the lighting is bad right now and my iPhone camera sucks at focusing as always.

photo-1239.jpg

There's no LED on this one. I guess I'll just have to listen for the GIANT WALL OF DOOM to tell if it's on. This thing sounds sick! I mixed some different cap values from the "Civil War" Big Muff and the infamous green Sovtek Muff (the pedal is mainly built to Civil War specs).

I also included the Jack Orman (hopefully that's spelled right) designed mids control. So you can add mids to cut through a live mix or keep them scooped for recording or playing by yourself. Let's be honest the scooped mids sound pretty rad when you're playing alone.

I got some germanium diodes and stuff to try with it too but it sounds really great as it is.

I also included the Jack Orman (hopefully that's spelled right) designed mids control. So you can add mids to cut through a live mix or keep them scooped for recording or playing by yourself. Let's be honest the scooped mids sound pretty rad when you're playing alone.

Nice work. I like the sound of this mod too. My issue with Big Muffs has always been that I love midrange.

Nice work. I like the sound of this mod too. My issue with Big Muffs has always been that I love midrange.

Thanks! I love mids too but I'm alright with the scooped Muff sound when I'm not playing with a band. But I can't stand scooped mids with a band it just makes it so hard to cut through the mix.

The Muff does sound better with more mids though IMO and I don't really want to use a Muff without a mids control or tone bypass. Have you built any Muffs?

Have you built any Muffs?

No, I haven't. Like I said the Bug Muff has never been a favorite sound of mine - just too scooped. That said, I haven't heard one with a mid-boost. Maybe I'll try one. I'm wanting to do a Fuzz Face soon, but these Tube Screamers are keeping me too busy.

I kinda want to build a fuzz face too. I have some cool old ge transistors that I need to find a use for actually. Not sure what to make with them..

Anyways.. I built this modded ProCo Rat clone today.

photo-2191.jpg

I used the LM308 IC and some "audio grade" electrolytic caps. Aside from that, I included the "Reutz" mod and a switch that toggles between the stock clipping diodes, LEDs, and no diodes.

I'm so stoked about this pedal. It sounds ******* rad and it's really versatile. The Reutz mod is an extra control that let's you go from the regular Rat sound to a lighter OD sound. It sounds really really sweet in the lighter OD settings. With the diode switch you can get the regular clipping, asymetrical clipping with the LEDs, or a much cleaner and louder sound with no diodes. So between what versatility it's already got and the added control from the mods this thing covers a huge range of dirt.

It looks pretty cool too. I'll post pics of the exterior tommorow

Thanks! I don't really have any way to record and post clips right now but I'm upgrading my iPhone to a new one at the end of this month so I'll be able to do YouTube demos (my current iPhone doesn't record video). I'm gonna see if I can find a cable to hook up an SM57 so hopefully the sound quality will be pretty good. So expect some demos for sure at the end of the month.

Here's a little pic of the front. I think it looks pretty sweet!

photo-433.jpg

doing the heater wires on my 18W today. the ball should start rolling faster, now that i finally finished cutting all the holes in this chassis. (a pain!)

heaterwires.jpg

i hope to have this head finished in the next week or so, as i still have to make a 2x12 for it too.

Archived