Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

When I say you can't daisy chain it, I mean you can't daisy chain the POWER along with negative ground effects. You can still use your positive ground effects on your board along with negative ground effects if you use a battery.

That's what I was figuring. Thanks.

Did you get an Electric Mistress or Deluxe Electric Mistress? I want the original Electric Mistress.

It's a newer (reissue) Deluxe. I am watching a couple of original ones on eBay, but the prices are getting nuts.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a newer (reissue) Deluxe. I am watching a couple of original ones on eBay, but the prices are getting nuts.

Very cool. Is it the kind in the big box? Let me know what you think of it when you get it. I saw a V1 for pretty cheap at thegearpage and I totally would have gotten it if I had the money.

I'm playin with my old Memory Man right now. It's such a cool sounding pedal but it needs a LOT of work. The chorus mode is just pure 80s goodness in the best way.

Very cool. Is it the kind in the big box? Let me know what you think of it when you get it. I saw a V1 for pretty cheap at thegearpage and I totally would have gotten it if I had the money.

I'm playin with my old Memory Man right now. It's such a cool sounding pedal but it needs a LOT of work. The chorus mode is just pure 80s goodness in the best way.

Yeah, bib box and 24v power. I had one before, but didn't like the way it interacted with my other pedals. Gonna try again because I love the sound of those things. I've never actually seen a V1 - blue and red graphics - pretty rare. Lots of the green ones which are V2-V6. Those have gotten expensive too. There's a V2 on eBay now for a good price that needs work if you feel so inclined... $86 - four hours to go.

All your builds look great especially some of the pedals. I am also making a few pedals but I decided to go a different way and I am making mine upside down in the enclosure so that I can custom build the tops in a decorative etched manner. It add a little bit of complexity but it should be worth it for wha they can be made to look like. Here are a few of the etched 14 gauge brass pieces I will be using. I also am making one that will be built the traditional way but a slightly Thinner 18 gauge nickel silver plate will cover the top rather than paint or stickers. Like I said there not anywhere near completion but here's the undrilled plates that I'll be working into the builds.

Sorry about the quality of the photos they actually look much better in person I just took quick pics with my phone since I haven't even cut them to final shape or drilled them yet they have been designed, etched and then patina's completed that's all so far.

I will soon have a line of custom truss rod covers as well as the back cover plates and even some pick guards all in the same type of engraved and/or etched materials I'm still busy doing all the original artwork. :blink:

In this one the knobs (3) will be in the area that has been left blank clearly waiting for the holes to be drilled.

IMG_0568.jpg

Here is the nickel plate that will be cut and rounded to fit onto the top of a ZVEX Box of Rock pedal one of the non-painted models.

IMG_0563-1.jpg

And here's a few more that will end up as tops for build or overlays depending on which way works best.

IMG_0509-2.jpg

IMG_0532-1.jpg

IMG_0592-1.jpg

^ awesome work retro. I really like the third one down.

Here's an Effector 13 Soda Meiser clone that I made for my bassist. He doesn't have any other pedals so I didn't drill it to any standard layout and I had a lot of fun with it.

photo-1005.jpg

photo-1003.jpg

I forgot to order a resistor (hence the socketed resistor) and mammoth sent me the wrong transistors, but it will look the same when those are fixed anyways so here are the pics

Madbean Cave Dweller delay. It's a simple PT2399 based delay that I modified for a pretty ridiculously long (and lofi) delay time plus a momentary switch that essentially turns the feedback all the way up when you step on it so it gradually sends the pedal into oscillation. I squeezed it all into a horizontal 1590b with top mounted jacks to make it as pedalboard friendly as possible.

photo-1905.jpg

photo-2345.jpg

I actually DID notice that you sprayed the washers. Cool!

What's the brand and color of the paint? I want some. It looks like the moon.

Good old Rustoleum, baby! (silver) [thumbup] I live near the ocean so everything has to be rust proof. [biggrin]

It actually took about 5 coats to start looking really hammered. I used gray primer underneath and a couple coats of poly on top.

Excellent job. Most people are too lazy or impatient to spray a nice finish like that. That will probably be really durable.

If you spray your primer, then do a thin coat of the hammerite (just to get the color down), then do a really heavy coat with the hammerite you'll get a perfect hammered finish. It needs to go on thick to get the texture right but if you don't have a coat underneath you'll get little pits where you can see the primer underneath.

Here is another one I just finished today. Its another fuzz face variant, the EASY FACE. I think this is by far my favorite fuzz face variant I've heard and built. The tone has just the right amount of fuzz and not to muddy sounding like the fuzz face and its variants. This fuzz pedal is a hybrid, uses one silicon transistor and one germainium transistor.

img0718vx.jpg

By bluesguitar65 at 2012-06-20

img0719zf.jpg

img0715ls.jpg

Here are all the fuzz face clones I'vbe built so far, L-R (70s Boutique Fuzz Face, a fulltone 70 fuzz clone, 69' Boutique Fuzz Face, also a 69' Fulltone fuzz clone, and the Joe Gagan Easy Face, my favorite of the bunch.)

img0720zpi.jpg

Cool bluesguitar! If you want a less muddy fuzz face, lower the value of the input & output caps.

I just had a major DIY breakthrough. Up until now I've basically been painting by numbers by using PCBs and vero layouts. I just built my first fuzz using nothing but a schematic. It's a really simple circuit; the "Bazz Fuss". I'm pretty happy about it! Sounds awesome!

I think this is by far my favorite fuzz face variant I've heard and built. 65]bluesguitar65[/url] at 2012-06-20

So you like that Easy Face better than the four knob 60s? I'm really loving the 4 knob I built right now (and I haven't even installed the germanium trannies yet).

Finished up the Tychobrae Octavia today. Sure is easier wiring in these big ol' boxes! [biggrin]

Sounds excellent - I like it better than the Voodoo Lab Proctavia I owned. The left switch

turns off the octave and just leaves the fuzz running. Pretty decent sounding fuzz too.

DSC_0001-6.jpg

DSC_0004-3.jpg

I always love seeing transformers in pedals. Pretty awesome. Any chance of a demo of some of these fuzzes through that little Marshall?

Oh yeah. I tried one with the Chilicon the other day and it was too hot... sounded farty. I need to take some time and do it right, but it will happen. [thumbup]

Archived