Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

Whats your views on shielding? Necessary?

Anyway... so I have that copper tape stuff..

Necessary for single coils, yes, but not for humbuckers in my experience. I use the tape as well, but make sure you connect all the cavities together and connect them to ground or else it doesn't do much good.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Necessary for single coils, yes, but not for humbuckers in my experience. I use the tape as well, but make sure you connect all the cavities together and connect them to ground or else it doesn't do much good.

I may try the shielded wire method since I have a lot of that already. One thing that seems to be good about the foil is that you can connect it to the underside of the pickguard if you have static issues with the pickguard like on a Fender

I may try the shielded wire method since I have a lot of that already. One thing that seems to be good about the foil is that you can connect it to the underside of the pickguard if you have static issues with the pickguard like on a Fender

Yeah, I leave a little overlay from the cavities onto the flat of the top - about 1/8". Then when the pickguard goes on the shielding touches. No static!

Well I have used humbucker sized P90s in a lot of my builds and indeed this build is going to have a SD version in the neck.. So hopefully it will help hum issues.. :)

And yeah I know that each one has to be grounded.. I put a small amount of overlay on the control cavity lip so it touches the backplate shielding..

• 1 month later...

Ohh man.. Looking through all those empty pics makes me feel slightly sick...

BASTARDS!!!!

Arggg... I guess theres no point in it without the pics sadly.. May as well start a new one I think.

Ohh man.. Looking through all those empty pics makes me feel slightly sick...

BASTARDS!!!!

Arggg... I guess theres no point in it without the pics sadly.. May as well start a new one I think.

Yeah I'm kinda feelin that way. Thanks for posting the **** out of this ***** and gettin it up to 75 pages, it was fun

Yeah I'm kinda feelin that way. Thanks for posting the **** out of this ***** and gettin it up to 75 pages, it was fun

Yeah man, its been a pleasure to participate and watch..I guess all good things come to and end. Its a bit of a shame but well, heres to the next 75 cos I aint stoppin [thumbup] :)

Archived