Gibson Brands Forums

The DIY thread

Dub-T-123

I thought it would be cool to have a thread for the DIY'ers here to post some of their guitar related DIY projects.

I've been slaving over a hot soldering iron this past week or so. I finished building a pedal for Jeff-7 (which I won't post), built a slightly modded Fulltone OCD clone, a Zvex Woolly Mammoth clone, and a Big Muff based mainly on the "Civil War" Muff, with a few cap values of the green Russian Muff thrown in and a mids control (waiting on a couple parts to finish the Muff).

I'll post pics soon. Just wanted to post this thread before I forgot about the idea haha

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does this count? I cosmetically changed a VT30 into something I could look at. I just didn't like the metal grill.

IMG_5863.jpg

That counts, anything you do to any type of gear that "permanent" and you did your self is DIY.

Nice job btw, me likey!

Some guts n graphics.. (psst notice the sweet looking Russian germaniums between the boxes)

photo-1806.jpg

sorry for the terrible lighting and picture quality. It's dark and my iPhone camera sucks.

The guts right there are that OCD clone. It sounds really awesome. It has kindof a slightly "chewy" sound that I dig.

I'm going to wire it to be switchable between standard clipping and LED clipping but as it is here it's basically a standard OCD with a different pot value for the gain control. The gain control has a bit less gain on tap but a bit better control over what gain is there. It has more than enough gain for what I want it to do.

Haha! Now that's a workhorse! Hey, what's that aluminum foil cylindrical looking thing? Looks like something I smoked Hash out of 25 years ago B)

Helps get me that fabled smoky "Brown Sound"..........[tongue][blink][wink] ....

When I bought this it was a 97 Les Paul Studio with an EMG Zakk Wylde pickup set in it and all black hardware. I yanked the pickups and put them up on Ebay. Installed gold Gibson Dexule tuners, gold humbucker rings and a gold adjustable BadAss bridge. For guts I installed a set of my Obsession Bolero humbuckers and wired them up to their own volume pots skipping the tone pots that I never use.

crop1-29097small.jpg

Archived