Gibson Brands Forums

The 12 days off Reaper

whis4ey

12 days ago I downloaded Reaper for a trial of my first ever DAW on the computer

Up until now I have been using the Korg 3200 Digital Recording Studio and doing all my effects, mixing, mastering (such as it is with me) on that unit

My first impression was that I didn't have a clue what it was all about

I then discovered that there were many similarities in use to Audacity, for example, and to a video editing program I use. I started to experiment.

I joined the Reaper forum and found very helpful people there, and massively informative posts from various members, which I was able to take on board to improve my own workings with the program

I downloaded the 400 page user guide and viewed some of the instruction videos

Already I am able to perform most of the basic tasks which help me open a new project, create all the necessary tracks, import my audios and vocal tracks, apply envelopes, mute out unwanted sections, cut and align tracks, apply effects, record and render my product to wav or mp3. Quite astonishing within 12 days :)

If you can imagine a user guide of 400 pages I have probably educated myself from less that about 10.

The possibilities from this program seem to me to be endless. I will soon be able to do everything I want, and it will then be a matter of progressing slowly as I feel the need for more

Needless to say, I paid for a licence yesterday

All in all, a great program, with great support, and with awesome possibilities

This is going to keep me happy all winter :)

Guest BentonC

Congratulations on your choice of DAW, I'm a fairly long term Reaperite myself. You sound so happy that I must assume that you haven't yet set out on the search for the holy grail of "The Perfect Drum Sound". [biggrin]

haha! love it. I'm convinced it's still a myth... [wink]

• 3 months later...

I record with Reaper as well. But I mostly record guitars/bass and vocals to either my BOSS BR-800 or BR-1600, than I import the tracks to Reaper and add drum loops using DrumCore and than master the track with a FX chain I created in Reaper.

I had several cassette based Portastudios but I only ever owned one digital hardware recorder. That was a Fostex DMT8VL-v2 with the SCSI interface. I spent more time with the manual and pressing buttons/jogging jog wheels than I ever did making music. I still have it in a cupboard and it's probably had about six hours use. I figure that the Boss machines must be easier to use than the Fostex was.

I figure that the Boss machines must be easier to use than the Fostex was.

Not to drift the topic, but IMO the BOSS series is much easier to record. I mainly use the BR-800 because it seems to be a faster way of recording. I have a Cakewalk UA-4FX external USB audio device that I use to connect my guitars for DAW recording with Reaper. It seems to be harder getting a bass tone as well, for me.

I have hundreds of plug-ins, for example AmpliTube and Recabinet but a lot of times I just find that right guitar amp plug-in. With the BR, I can easily dial-in/tweak a amp sim, or mic my amp (the UA-4FX does have a mic input). Still the drums in the BR are PCM, again, what I'll do is record all the tracks to a initial drum arrangement in the BR, export the track stems and import the stems into Reaper. And as long as I remember the tempo, I drag 'n drop drum loops using DrumCore.

I did this when I recorded

Archived