Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar playing habits

Wolff

With two young children a wife and a full time job I get at best 20 mins a day, however some days I can play for about an hour sometimes more...

I would love to have a band but at the moment I just dont have the spare time...

Flight959

I'm in a band so I have a long opportunity to play but don't get to it during the week as much as I want to. Unless I'm working on learning a new song I might not break it out all week. Plus, not playing constantly is better for my creativity. Having not played for a period, it feels so great to pick it up once again.

I try to play at least an hour a day.I have a four day work week so Fridays I play for 6 or 7 hours.When I was a Kid I would play 8 hours a day at the least.When my children were growing up it was a lot less.Now that they have grown and gone I play a whole lot more.Trying to get a band together but it's hard finding the right people.

I leave three guitars on stands around the house so I have no excuse for not picking one up for a while a few times a day. I would say total daily allowance would be 1-2 hours. I have been "practicing" again for the last couple of years, working on my chart sight reading and extended jazz chord formations.

I have been in gigging bands of some sort since around 1973 or '74, and still am. At my busiest I was playing well over 100 club dates a year. The worst thing for your practice time is playing to often with a band, or just playing out too often. There was probably years at a time that I would set my guitar by the front door when I came home from a gig, and not touch one until I picked it up to walk out the door to the next gig. It's so easy to just rest on your laurels, and playing the same songs, in the same arrangement, in the same order, night after night may be playing guitar and working in the business, but it certainally isn't practicing. In fact it can, and usually does, set you backwards in the "skill" department.

Now that my band has slowed down, we're just playing festivals, corporate, special event, fundraising, educational and "Arts" type shows, I have much more time, inclination and attitude to practice. So maybe you CAN teach an old dog new tricks.

I'm not in a band have have do desire to be in one.

I'm feeling this more and more every day...

I'll pick one up every day, as far as practice, once or twice a week.

If a new riff comes to mind, then it can turn into a marathon...

I get in at least an hour a day... on my days off sometimes 4 hours or more... I have never been in a band as a guitarist. I would love to try or at least jam with some other musicians.... I do write my own songs though so it would be nice to hear some of my own material come to life...

It would be nice if I played every day. Some weeks I have a chance and do pick up the guitar at least once a day, but then other weeks I barely get a chance to touch it.

I am in a band, but we play very infrequently and practice even less. I know this isn't the blueprint for an awsome band, but real life comes first for us all. I think we do pretty well though, considering how little we practice as a band and individuals.

I'm in a band. Right now a duo with my wife, The Sophisticats.

I've been in bands all my life, from the time I was in 7th grade. I've been in bands that have warmed up for major acts of the day, on cruise ships, in 5 star hotels, in show clubs, in dives, in condominiums, in "animal" clubs, in yacht clubs, in country clubs and just about anywhere else that hires live music.

I've never gotten burned out by it. To me performing is something I love, it's my second favorite thing to do (and this is a family forum so I can't say what is first <grin>). I look forward to performing (although I'm not crazy about moving the equipment, but I just consider that exercise).

I practice the guitar daily. On non-gig days I try to get an hour in, on gig days it's 3 or 4 hours (if you can't practice on stage, where can you practice? <grin>)

I don't practice the sax, flute, wind synthesizer or keyboards anymore, except while on the gig. Not because I've mastered them (I don't think anyone ever truly masters an instrument -- there is always something else to learn) but because I have been playing guitar less than the others and therefore it needs the most work.

Insights and incites by Notes

I play daily; though, it is not on my LP. During the week I strum the 32 year old round back acoustic Applause (btw.. it sounds much better then what your thinking for such a cheep guitar). Weekends the band meets in the garage and out comes the big guns. LP Standard and Vox amp.. Take no prisoners....

I gig 40/50 weekends a year and have for decades. Bars. I have guitars all over the house and play during commercials, 1/2 time in football games, before work, after work, ect. Mandolins, fiddles, keys, it's a house full of gear. Old Peavey XR600 w/SP2's, Carvin acoustic amp, ect.

I usually have my J45 in my lap during football games.

Whoops, I forgot. It's Monday night.

Later.

Murph.

Not in a band.

Though I'm in school I'm so obsessed with my guitars I end up doing anything I might have to do outside of school in school instead of learning the days lesson, not a good idea I know, but it allows me to get in a good three hours after school, and on weekends I play around five hours a day.

One or two hours a day weekdays more at the weekend.

Yes in a band callen the Senator the drummer as been in this band since 1960

senators1.jpg

we only play a couple of times a year I am looking for a new project. Anyone need a guitar/singer type person

Archived