Gibson Brands Forums

SG61 new or used?

Chuck005

I've decided that I want to buy an SG 61 reissue. The only question I have is, new or used? Any opinion is welcome, but I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone with firsthand knowledge or experience. Is there any difference in quality between a 61RI built today to one built 5, 10, or 15 years ago? Are they still built completely in Nashville or are some components farmed out to overseas suppliers? Thanks for any help.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone offer an opinion at least? There always seems to be a selection of used SG61Reissues on eBay, but usually sell for only a few hundred less than the music store wants for a brand new one. So is an older one a better investment?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Still hoping someone can offer any insights on these guitars.

wow what a lonely post, might have got more hits in the SG forum actually.

here is a review for my 61R1 which I got in a trade, lovely guitar.

Review

as to new or used I think that depends on your budget and what condition the used example is in.

hopefully others will chime in with opinions !

• 6 years later...

I've decided that I want to buy an SG 61 reissue. The only question I have is, new or used? Any opinion is welcome, but I'd really appreciate feedback from anyone with firsthand knowledge or experience. Is there any difference in quality between a 61RI built today to one built 5, 10, or 15 years ago? Are they still built completely in Nashville or are some components farmed out to overseas suppliers? Thanks for any help.

The sg 61 reissue started in late 1992. Please find attached Gibson's specifications.

I prefer the ones maded until 1994 (the bridge and the pickguards are different from the newest one).

To have a panoramic views of the models thake a look to the mercatino musicale web site https://www.mercatinomusicale.com/cerca/gibson-sg-61.html

Archived