Gibson Brands Forums

Ray Whitley

f16mania

I was just given an original Ray Whitley Recording King guitar that was my father in laws. I have never played before but apparently this thing is worth some money. I have no intentions of selling it but I would like to get it appraised. I am looking for suggestions on where to take it. I live in the metro Detroit area. Thank you in advance for your help.

I think there were two versions of these... Mohagany and Brazilian, ...

I doubt any Ray Whitleys have a Brazilian back and rims, as it's been shown that Gibson switched to Indian rosewood for backs and rims a few years before this model was introduced. Almost all vintage AJs and all (AFAIK) J-200s are Indian.

-- Bob R

I doubt any Ray Whitleys have a Brazilian back and rims, as it's been shown that Gibson switched to Indian rosewood for backs and rims a few years before this model was introduced. Almost all vintage AJs and all (AFAIK) J-200s are Indian.

-- Bob R

I think you might be right ,

Some Pics

I resized these pics but can only get these two to upload. I have a few more but it says I have used up my allocation, lol.

Go to the first topic in the "forum feedback" section to learn how to post photos here by uploading from Photobucket.

Your guitar is the Ray Whitley Jumbo Model 1027 with rosewood back & sides. The Model 1028 had mahogany B&S, but did not have the "bat wing" style bridge. Gibson made these exclusively for Montgomery Wards from 1939-early 1940. They are rare and I've seen them fetch $12-14K on eBay, so they are very valuable. I would also recommend Elderly for an appraisal. They were only 153 total Model 1027's made, which might seem high given how rare they are. Good luck.

Archived