Gibson Brands Forums

sg 90

carcass

Hi there guys' date=' i am a proud owner of a Gibson SG 90. Just wondering if anybody knows/has any idea if these things are going to be worth something in the future. Many thanks for any comments, have a good day.

Sean[/quote']

I agree with the previous poster. These seem to go for about the same as a Faded Special these days, but you never know what may happen in the future. I sure don't. I didn't think that Norlin-era Gibsons and CBS-era Strats from the 70s and 80s would go for the prices they're going for now! That being said the SG-90 is a much better guitar (in my big fat opinion) than the Norlin Era SG's. I think the collectors are a bit freaked out by the looks, but the SG-90 is a versatile guitar.

• 2 months later...

I have two SG-90's Singles -- both are blue/green ... one with white pickguard and one with the darker shade. I have read that the white pickguard were only on the first 100. I had one earlier but it had issues with the neck that I was not willing to spend the money on to see if it could be fixed -- but man, did that one have a special resonance that inherently made each note bloom. That and the one with the darker pickguard are extremely light, weighing in about 5.5 lbs!

The one with the darker pickguard had the finish on back of the neck removed when I bought it, the neck is great and has nearly the same bloom going for it -- I swapped all the black hardware for gold (except for the top string ferrules -- which I cannot find) and its gorgeous. Also, I moved the volume control to the middle and had a toggle switch in its original place for the coil tap (which now includes a tone by-pass) since I was always turning the guitar down by mistake when playing and I think the coil tap knob sticks up too much ....

The other is pristine and looks like its has never been played -- its heavier has a more traditional tone, ideal for rock, somewhere between a regular SG and a Les Paul for want of a better description.

I love these and have played SG's forever ... I am looking for a good condition Single or Double with a Floyd on it -- I saw one at the NYC Gibson office in the early 90's and that's when it all started:)

I see these running for about $7-900 in great condition -- I think they are way way undervalued.

• 1 year later...

I bought an SG90 today:

013-15.jpg

016-8.jpg

015-10.jpg

It is in a mint condition an build in 1989

Are the pick-ups made by Bill Lawrance? and witch type off pick -ups are they?

Mij SG90 also has a perloid pickgaurd en I heard that this should be an early type SG 90?

Hi there guys' date=' i am a proud owner of a Gibson SG 90. Just wondering if anybody knows/has any idea if these things are going to be worth something in the future. Many thanks for any comments, have a good day.

Sean[/quote']

All Gibson's will be worth something in the future, some just more than others.

• 2 months later...

SG90 Double for Sale...If anyone's interested....it's an early-1988 Alpine White, Black Hardware, White Pearloid, with strings-thru. (I first had one with the Steinberger trem --- what a joke!! Sold it and found this one.) Original "single-coil" (well, it's not really a single-coil...) plus a replacement humbucker. I installed a brand-new Gibson 498T (when I got it, the original HB had already been replaced with a cheap HB of some kind; I threw it away). The finish, of course, is no longer "Alpine White" --- it's undergone that aged-white-thing.

Regards, Jeff

Archived