Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Joe Bonamassa Studio Les Paul

maverickcop

What are everyone's opinions on the Gibson Joe Bonamassa Studio Les Paul? I have one and I've only been playing for 5 months, playing diligently every day. In my opinion, it's a piece of artwork. It feels so smooth and comfortable. As I play it, I feel like I'm holding a supreme piece of music making equipment. But heck...what do I know? I wanted to start a forum on this guitar so I could hear from those of you that are far more knowledgeable than I on the matter. The looks/paint? The weight(its heavy)? The hardware on it, etc etc...

• 3 weeks later...

I have one. Got it in November. It is well put together with no flaws (not as nice as my CS 356 but that is understandable). The thicker neck takes getting used to compared to my other guitars. The rosewood neck is not as fast as my ebony necked CS 356 but a lot faster than my maple necked strat. Weight wise, it is a tad under 9# which is heavier than my CS 356 (a tad under 7#) but much lighter than my strat (13#). Sound wise, I'm still getting used to it and am still playing with the tone on the amp/pedals/guitar. I wanted a guitar I could play without worrying if it got bruised and battered. I'm pretty happy with it.

• 1 month later...

I don’t usually write reviews, but I felt in this case it was compulsory for me to do so!

I received my JB Les Paul Studio yesterday. I purchased the guitar online, so I was taking a bit a chance knowing I could send the thing back if I was not totally satisfied.

Up until now I have been firmly in the Stratocaster camp, but I am a huge JB fan and I was determined to get something that would nail his tone, and the thing really does nail the tone perfectly.

I did have some initial concerns about the 50’s profile neck based on the fact that I am used to the slim C necks on my USA Strats. I also had some reservations about whether it would be a little on the stiff side after reading various comments on the web. Well…What can I say? The action is light and easy (but not overly so) and the resonance is unbelievable. I would say the playability is comparable to my USA Strats strung with nines. If anything I find the chunky neck makes it easier for Barre chords stuff, and surprisingly, even shredding is no problem. The tone is absolutely huge with immense sustain and it even looks stunning. I can’t think of anything more I could wish for in a guitar.

The plecked nut is excellent and the frets are beautifully crowned. The action is pretty good, but a little high towards the heal for my taste. I am pretty sure about 1/3 of a clockwise turn on the truss rod will achieve my perfect setup.

This is a USA Gibson LP for £1099 and is tremendous value for money. To the best of my knowledge it is the same as the £4500 custom shop version less the binding and a bit of ageing.

The only slight negative points are as follows:

There is a tiny sinkage mark in the paintwork near the neck pickup, but I have a good eye for these things given that I was a vehicle refinisher for 11 years. I will be beating the hell out the thing anyway, so no problem there. The one thing I did find slightly annoying was that Gibson did not supply a wrench for the truss rod, so I have had to order it separately.

If you are considering buying one of these I would advise you to sell a body organ IMMEDIATELY and run to the shops, as there are only a few available from the limited run.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i think this guitar is a very good instrument....But i don't really like it at all...I prefer a standard or a custom les paul rather than a studio.

But it's only my opinion!

If you like this guitar, u've to try, try and try it again! If u don't have a very big budget, with about 1000$,1100$, u can buy one of this guitar.

Anyway, before you buy a guitar, u've always try it!

(sorry for my english...I'm italian!)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived