Gibson Brands Forums

Make Your Own Les Paul

bluesguitar65

I'd love to build a LP Jr but I know that it would take me forever because I dont have the machinery and would probably cost me almost as much as just buying it

When you factor in the tools, it costs many times more to build a guitar than to buy it. But it's not about the cost, it's about learning a craft.

Nice link by the way. That guy is an inspiration.

This is a great build. Does anybody remember the one that Andy started? Did he ever finish the RR Les Paul rebuild?

No... Life has gotten in the way... I'm taking a few weeks off again around christmas and plan on finishing it and the Rick bass I started....

When you factor in the tools, it costs many times more to build a guitar than to buy it. But it's not about the cost, it's about learning a craft.

Nice link by the way. That guy is an inspiration.

It depends on how hard you want to work and or how many guitars you want to build. There is a build thread I saw of a guy in Japan ( he is not Japanese) building a les Paul using nothing but non-powered hand tools.... Pretty amazing....

There are also a lot of threads on how to build tools... In the end I figured out the approximate cost of building a High End Les Paul "Style" guitar paying retail for parts you end up under $1,000.00 If you ebay well you can build around 500-600 dollars ...

Archived