Gibson Brands Forums

I Smell a Rat...can someone help?

kytty

Hi guysI work part time in a local music shop in Victoria Australia.Today a guy came in wanting to sell us a "Gibson" I'm not sure if it is genuine. Serial # 017160528.What sent alarm bells ringing is the fact that instead of the script reading "Supreme" it reads "Suprome"on close inspection it has the serial number and made in USA picked out in Gold, the USA stamp seems a little high on the head, the binds are a beige colour and it has black pots.It does have grover gear and come in a genuine Gibson Case, feels and plays a hoot,We dont want it in our shop if its not realI have attached some photosAny help would be appreciatedkind regardskytty

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

sorry about the quality of these pics I was having trouble uploading them

what exactly would you like to see and I can try to upload it for you

kytty

Don't apologize. I don't even know how to post pics at all.

A full body shot from straight on. A full headstock shot from straight on. Maybe the side of the headstock where it meets the neck binding.

Straight on shots are pics without angles, so one can see and be able to tell shapes and details without having the camera angle possibly distort or have us wonder what we are seeing.

my boss has allowed my to bring this guitar home tonight so if you require more info or photos i can take them.

like I said I thought it was suss and thats why we are trying to confirm it.

The site is not allowing me to upload more photos just yet.

will try again soon

cheers

kytty

The boss is my father, and I personally feel this guitar is suss.

As stein asked for more photos dad thought it would be easier if the guitar was here so we could get as much info on it as possible.

As I pointed out there are some odd things with this guitar and we want to establish if it is genuine before we take it on.

kytty

O.K..........No, with 98% certainty, that is NOT a Gibson.......There are NO fret "nibs"........

Look at the fretboard inlays; they are 100% wrong......They are messy: this is not Gibson workmanship..........

The date of manufacture and serial # aren't stamped into the headstock, but are printed.......

Look at the horn.....It is BENT.....Gibson does not build this way....The back is "bulged out"....This is also wrong.........

There are other tell tales as well...........IMHO, this is not a genuine Gibson.......................

Damien, thank you for your input.

you are correct - no fret nibs. The serial # are stamped but have been inked over in gold.

The back is bent and it is also curved. I thought they were straight backed(?)

The colour and type of bindings I feel aren't right

Also the pots are black and I thought they should be gold on a supreme.

Pete.R he is asking $2,000.00 AUD

This is exactly why I came here.

Thanks guys

Thanks guys,

This has been a real learning curve.

Thank goodness there is somewhere to can come and hash out our suspicions.

I think the best thing is to give this one back to its owner come Monday morning.

cheers

kytty

Thanks guys,

This has been a real learning curve.

Thank goodness there is somewhere to can come and hash out our suspicions.

I think the best thing is to give this one back to its owner come Monday morning.

cheers

kytty

You are indeed most welcome......We are very good at spotting fakes, and we are always glad to help, teach, and learn ourselves........

Take care, sincerely, Damian, and all of the others here, like the amazing Pete...............[thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] .......

Hi guysI work part time in a local music shop in Victoria Australia.Today a guy came in wanting to sell us a "Gibson" I'm not sure if it is genuine. Serial # 017160528.What sent alarm bells ringing is the fact that instead of the script reading "Supreme" it reads "Suprome"on close inspection it has the serial number and made in USA picked out in Gold, the USA stamp seems a little high on the head, the binds are a beige colour and it has black pots.It does have grover gear and come in a genuine Gibson Case, feels and plays a hoot,We dont want it in our shop if its not realI have attached some photosAny help would be appreciatedkind regardskytty

Looks like one of those kits where you build your own guitar,but he did a good job. [crying]

That is possible 4Hayden, but If he did he's bloody good or doing a lot of them.

Either way Its not a Gibson, should Not have the Gibson name on it and more importantly we won't be selling it.

It can stay in the store room til the owner picks it up.

Thanks again guys

kytty

Keep in mind that the guy trying to sell it to you might have been scammed too. Let other shops in your area know there are fakes Gibsons making the rounds. This is why you never put Gibson on the head stock of a guitar they didn't make.

Hi Searcy,

This is very true.

It could be a foreign sweatshop knock-off he may have bought in good faith off ebay for all we know.

It would be great if the photos and serial number I have provided could go into some sort of web-register-forum sub division, in case this guitar (or others like it) surface again.

Perhaps add the last known whereabouts of the said guitar and its serial number into the thread line.

people could go straight to the known fakes to check before coming into here.

just a thought

kytty

Fake,,, 100 % Fake.... Supremes are Ebony Boards.. besides.. Supreme is Spelled wrong on the Headstock.. Supremes From what Ive owned all have Been translucent colors with Highly Figured Tops as well.... Ive never seen a Ebony or White Solid.. ...

What you should do... Is stamp or use a permenant Marker ((( FAKE )) in the Pot Cavity and Pickup cavity ... So the next person or store is Not a Victim...

All I know is that at the end of the day this guitar will have fake written inside it and given back.

the guy will also be told that it's a fake.

Its sad to say but at the end of the day it is buyer be ware!

and that other ol' saying if its too good to be true, then probably is.

It is reassuring to know that conformation of well known brands is possible, and a relatively painless exercise.

Hopefully any one wishing to purchase under priced or too good to be true guitars (regardless of brand) saves themselves heartbreak and does their home work before hand.

kytty

As it does not belong to us...um yes.

we have not bought it. so we have no rights to it

All I know is that at the end of the day this guitar will have fake written inside it and given back.

the guy will also be told that it's a fake.

Its sad to say but at the end of the day it is buyer be ware!

and that other ol' saying if its too good to be true, then probably is.

It is reassuring to know that conformation of well known brands is possible, and a relatively painless exercise.

Hopefully any one wishing to purchase under priced or too good to be true guitars (regardless of brand) saves themselves heartbreak and does their home work before hand.

kytty

you sure marking someone else's property is the right thing to do?

He might also be getting some bad news for the first time, so it might be good not to judge to quickly and maybe use a little sensitivity.

Archived