Gibson Brands Forums

Permanent Fingerprints?

VA_siCkBoy

This past weekend I was playing a "non-gibson" guitar with a Nitrocellulose Lacquer finish. After playing, I put the guitar in the case without wiping it down first. I don't know what I had on my hands but when I opened the case the next day to wipe it down, the finger and palm prints on the upper horn of the guitar would not come off! I have polished it repeatedly with Dunlop formula 65 and cannot get rid of the palm prints.

Has this ever happened to anyone else? I've been playing for like 24 years and it has never happened to me before. Of course, I usually wipe the hand prints off before I place the guitar in the case but I have been rushed before and forgotten to do so. I have always been able to wipe it down afterward.

Is there anything I can do to remove the palm prints? It not really noticeable, but I know it's there and it really bugs me.

I hope you didn't have bug spray (DEET) on your hands. That'll need more than polish' date=' if so.[/quote']

I was thinking the same thing GG!

If you had something like bug spray on your fingers and the Deet eats into the Nitro, the best thing you can do is not to polish it yet. Give it a few weeks to let the Nitro reharden, then use McQuiers formula 7 & 9 on it. Scratch-X might also work, but I have heard that it has silicone in it which is a no-no. After buffing out the area, (this does take a fair amount of time and effort) finish it with a nice Carnuba wax, (I used Zymol car wax). It will look "almost" as good as new.

Thanks guys (and girls)! I think I'll give that Virtuoso polish a try.

It's a Fender American Vintage 57 strat and when I pass my fingers over the print, I can't feel anything so I have a feeling that it somehow bled into the finish. I'm scared that it is permanent but I'm gonna try some of that polish and hopefully I can remove it.

I will try to take pics tonight. It's very faint so it'll be very hard to get a decent pic I think. Like I said, it's very hard to see, but it's there and I know it's there. That's what drives me crazy.

I wasn't sure if it was cool to post pics of a strat on a Gibson site.

Just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions. I ended up using the Virtuoso Premium Cleaner and it looks like it worked. If I took a magnifying glass to it I may still be able to see a very faint trace of the print but I can live with that. I'll probably let it rest for a week or so and give it one more try to see if I can remove everything.

I highly recommend that Virtuoso cleaner. It may be a little more expensive but it is definitely worth it.

Thanks Again!

Archived