Gibson Brands Forums

Ebony Fretboard.. vs.. rosewood vs... baked maple?

RS1976

I like fretboards.....can't play w/o one [biggrin]

oh, more details? ok

the darkness and softer feel of ebony, the visual appeal of a nicely figured rosewood, the hardness and "sting" of maple...

not tried baked maple yet.....I don't get out much except for work anymore.

OK,, is nobody gonna say it???

I will....

WTF Dude??????

Damn!

Indeed. It is a bit left field is it not? Not to mention a bit sick.

Shall we start the psychoanalysis?

Photo of child ostensibly eating a hand posted onto a thread about fretboard woods.

Ok Hands and fingers play fretboards so we have that connection.

No hands or fingers then you can't play.

Lots of differing opinions about which wood is best for fretboards.

But fretboards (of some type) are necessary and so we have to have them.

So why get in a tither about which wood it is? Let the manufacturer manufacture and choose what you want.

Making a fuss about the fretboard is like "Eating the Hand that feeds us" - the guitar, the wood, is the hand and so you are "eating yourself" - snake eating its own tail" (Oribus).

Conclusion: Jeff has an oral fixation displaced onto his hand.

Indeed. It is a bit left field is it not? Not to mention a bit sick.

Shall we start the psychoanalysis?

Photo of child ostensibly eating a hand posted onto a thread about fretboard woods.

Lots of differing opinions about which wood is best for fretboards.

But fretboards (of some type) are necessary and so we have to have them.

So why get in a tither about which wood it is? Let the manufacturer manufacture and choose what you want.

Making a fuss about the fretboard is like "Eating the Hand that feeds us" - the guitar, the wood, is the hand and so you are "eating yourself" - snake eating its own tail" (Oribus).

Conclusion: Jeff has an oral fixation displaced onto his hand.

It's a reference to the fact that this is a zombie thread. A Zombie thread is one that is long dead, maybe even years old, but is suddenly brought back to life. Notice the dates on the posts here in this discussion.

[biggrin]

Same here many, I'll play anything really I just prefer rosewood.

I love Tele's man, I just can't play them :( I've got really big hands and they slam up against the controls while I'm strumming.

It's a reference to the fact that this is a zombie thread. A Zombie thread is one that is long dead, maybe even years old, but is suddenly brought back to life. Notice the dates on the posts here in this discussion.

[biggrin]

Ah, trust me to complicate it all by a million times even if jokingly.

Yes, you are right of course - the dates give it away although not to me!

Or tone is all in the fingers perhaps the taste is too.

[biggrin]

Lol,, hysterical.. of course.

I didn't even notice.. my bad.

[lol]

Damn noobs ressurecting old threads #-o[lol]

I've had both Rosewood, and Baked Maple on SG Std. Basses. I thought the Baked Maple having a tighter grain to it, being Maple, gave the sound a bit more of a clearer sound, without loosing any bottom end. The Baked Maple board, just doesn't have the fancier colored grains running through it as Rosewood does, in most cases that is.

I've got guitars with ebony, rosewood, torrefied maple (aka baked maple), and richlite. They all play great, they sound great, and they all look great.

Ebony, maple, and richlite are very similar: very dense, smooth, easy string bending. The only real difference I feel with rosewood is with string bending. I can feel a bit of the grain once in a great while.

Ebony is my favorite, but it is difficult to get my favorite guitars (SG Classics and Jazzmaster/Jaguars) with them so I am OK with rosewood. Not like I'll die or have to quit guitar.

One thing I have been digging is what Taylor guitars has done with ebony and the supply chain. You are going to start seeing more marbled ebony because of it, but that is purely cosmetic. It is still a nice, dense piece wood as my Taylor 110 proves.

Ebony is my favorite, but it is difficult to get my favorite guitars (SG Classics and Jazzmaster/Jaguars) with them so I am OK with rosewood. Not like I'll die or have to quit guitar.

One thing I have been digging is what Taylor guitars has done with ebony and the supply chain. You are going to start seeing more marbled ebony because of it, but that is purely cosmetic. It is still a nice, dense piece wood as my Taylor 110 proves.

I think the streaked ebony will look especially killer on the burst finishes, particularly a vintage sunburst, tobacco burst, and desert burst. I don't think it would look as nice on the solid color finishes though.

I had an ebony on my Studio 2010 silver burst after I got the backed maple custom I sold the studio I no longer liked ebony.

I had ebony on the other two customs I had and I just didn't like it always sold them for Standards.

I have noticed on the granadillo you can feel the wood a bit more than rosewood and it also has a unique tone.

My Signature is my favorite Standard model I ever have owned.

It almost gives you a hollow body sound its super cool for playing in my Ted Nugent band :)

I love'em all!!! Rosewood, ebony, torrefied maple, and richlite, they all play great, IMHO. I've yet to really have any experience with granadillo or obeche, but I'm sure they're great too.

Ebony is #1 in my book because of it's smooth, slick feel. Some people don't like it because it is too smooth. I also like rosewood and baked baple. Baked maple is a step in the direction of ebony as far as playability. Even though ebony is #1 for me, I still consider rosewood the best all-around fret board for Gibson guitars.

Well I can tell you since I got the baked maple Im in love! I see they got a $3000 Maple fretboard Custom...

Wonder if I could leather dye it lol! :)

Those alpine white Customs with the natural maple fret boards, IMHO, are just freakin' awesome! [thumbup]

I would LOVE to have one of those!!!!

The ebony finish with the natural maple does not look as nice to me.

Rosewood is nice and Granadillo is really cool Baked Maple is the best dye it black its better than ebony

I was thinking about dying my Baked Maple board but when I looked into it people were saying that the die will come off. :unsure: What would you use to die it that wouldn't come off?

Thanks for all the info! That was super helpful [thumbup] I'll definitely post some pics on here whenever I do that!

EDIT:: That fretboard looks beautiful by the way! If I didn't know better I would have thought it was ebony.

Yes I wish they would do baked maple on the ebony custom so I could dye it black

Yeah the all white is a killer idea.

do you know is the maple finished or raw?

I believe it's unfinished, but I'm not 100% certain...

If I ever snag one, I'll let you know... ;)

I think we're at the beginning of an increasingly fast changeover in concept of fingerboard - and perhaps even overall guitar - materials. There's a lot of pretty decent man-made material that folks haven't even really gotten into for consideration as a guitar material. As more guitars are sold, I've a hunch you'll see more.

I also find it interesting how sometimes on the Gibson forums one would end up thinking that true traditional guitar firms would only want certain woods given a choice, but I note that Martin uses all sorts of current technology to manufacture acoustic flattops - fiberboard bodies and plywood necks, for example.

Also, some of "us" love 3 to 5-piece laminated necks and praise their stability and yet... that's plywood.

m

I think we're at the beginning of an increasingly fast changeover in concept of fingerboard - and perhaps even overall guitar - materials. There's a lot of pretty decent man-made material that folks haven't even really gotten into for consideration as a guitar material. As more guitars are sold, I've a hunch you'll see more.

I also find it interesting how sometimes on the Gibson forums one would end up thinking that true traditional guitar firms would only want certain woods given a choice, but I note that Martin uses all sorts of current technology to manufacture acoustic flattops - fiberboard bodies and plywood necks, for example.

Also, some of "us" love 3 to 5-piece laminated necks and praise their stability and yet... that's plywood.

m

Agreed!

As the cost of developing and manufacturing alternative materials comes down I think we'll see them showing up more and more. Classical guitar makers are making "double top" guitars (The double top functions like an amplifier with two separate vibrating surfaces separated by a thin layer of super light Nomax.). Martin has been making some guitars that are forestry certified from other wood sources that are plentiful and more sustainable along with using richlite as a fret board.

I can see laminate becoming more and more common. Laminate is VERY strong and no warping. Anyone who shoots modern rifles will know this since plenty of them have laminate stocks and floating barrels.

Archived