Gibson Brands Forums

Installing EMG's

tpurgatoryt

Hey,

I was just wondering if anyone has installed EMG's in their

guitars since they have adopted the solderless design.

Was just wondering if it would be easy enough for someone

with little to no experience with installing pickups and wiring

to do so with the solderless design?

[confused][smile]

Hi, welcome to the forum [biggrin]

I honestly have never tried any of the solderless set ups, nor have i used EMGs. but, I do know that most EMGs are active pick-ups, requiring a 9volt battery to power them. you will need to make sure you have room for it in the control cavity....or make a special cavity for the battery.

Hi, welcome to the forum [biggrin]

I honestly have never tried any of the solderless set ups, nor have i used EMGs. but, I do know that most EMGs are active pick-ups, requiring a 9volt battery to power them. you will need to make sure you have room for it in the control cavity....or make a special cavity for the battery.

Yeah im aware of that thanks bigneil [biggrin]

Can't help with the solderless stuff either, never encountered it. But EMG also make a passive (so no battery or pre-amp) set of pickups which are supposed to be very similar in sound to the active ones, I think the range is called HZ.

Can't help with the solderless stuff either, never encountered it. But EMG also make a passive (so no battery or pre-amp) set of pickups which are supposed to be very similar in sound to the active ones, I think the range is called HZ.

Yeah i was looking at the epi les paul nightfall with the emg hz pickups in it.

watched some reviews, seems decent.

Yeah i was looking at the epi les paul nightfall with the emg hz pickups in it.

watched some reviews, seems decent.

Yeah, I've read a few reviews of guitars fitted with them, they are supposed to be pretty good for metal type tones, not my deal, but YMMV of course.

I was having a google at those solderless kits, I assume they come with instructions, In which case they should be easy to clip together.....like building a leggo [thumbup]

If you do decide to go for it you should take some pic's and post them here, we like sharing projects round these parts.

You still have to de-solder the old pickup wires, tone & volume pots and the output socket. Then re-solder the volume pots to the 3 way switch. From there the rest is quick connects. So you will have to know what your do'n, it's not hard just need some practice and a good iron.

I put a set of Duncan Blackouts in my son's Korean LP custom last year, it's a little more work cutting out the old Epi quick-connect wiring and fitting the new one but fairly easy.

Also, if you want the full output from those pickups, you probably should use 1 Meg pots which it seems is pretty much standard with active pickups.

You still have to de-solder the old pickup wires, tone & volume pots and the output socket. Then re-solder the volume pots to the 3 way switch. From there the rest is quick connects. So you will have to know what your do'n, it's not hard just need some practice and a good iron.

Actually, (on a 2-pickup, independant volume guitar,) you can even just cut the wires from the switch off at the pot/jack end, then strip the ends down and run them into the screw terminals on the EMG board - that's what those are there for. No solder required. msp_thumbup.gif

It's easy-peasy-lemon-squeezy to install solderless EMGs.

• 2 months later...

Also, if you want the full output from those pickups, you probably should use 1 Meg pots which it seems is pretty much standard with active pickups.

No. Actives (whether it's EMG or Duncan) use 25k pots which in

your book would be equivalent to 0.025M pots [biggrin]

I do most of my hardcore metal genre playing on my " Signature OMG" pickups custom wound for me by the esteemed Swedish PU winder

Varriinssdgfytiigootiin Slaggerstteinvvvon Mokkkinerettttqqqmattkhitthrman............

I can confirm that an EMG 81/85 pair, using their QuickConnect kit (which includes all of your pots/wiring/everything except for your lead from the p/u switch), is truly "easy-peasy" to install and works like a charm. No soldering required, but you will need to trim/strip wire coming from your pickup selector switch.

Archived