Gibson Brands Forums

Mac running slow . . . any suggestions please?

KL

My iMac is running really slow. It's taking a long time to load pages. I've scanned it with Mackeeper several times and found no issues. My internet connection could be the problem. Just wondered if there are any experts on here that can make any suggestions. Thanks.

My iMac is running really slow. It's taking a long time to load pages. I've scanned it with Mackeeper several times and found no issues. My internet connection could be the problem. Just wondered if there are any experts on here that can make any suggestions. Thanks.

Have you done the software updates? There is a new Safari and Java that came out last week. Do all the updates.

Thanks,

I'm going to find out how to test my internet connection now.

I have done a lot of updates. I mainly use firefox as my browser and I updated that too. Can't say I like the new version as much as the old one.

Lots of people never shut their computers down. You need to shut them down to clear off little bits that are running all of the time to make it faster to open things. After a while all of those helpers get in the way. Try shutting down and restarting first.

Too many applications running at once and a desktop that is loaded with stuff will slow you down also.

You can google internet speed and find some places online to test your speed.

When a mac gets to running slow it is usually because it is running at memory capacity and you need to give some room to breathe.

I have tested my internet connection speed and it is very slow at 430kbps. So I think this is the problem. I have spoken to my ISP which is always a miserable experience. Now I have to wait for them to try to fix the fault.

Thanks for the suggestions.

By the way I always turn my computer off when I have finished using it.

woah that is slow,. they need to boost that bad boy.

sorry about the sunday convo with the isp... i hate talking to them as well. like pulling teeth some days. but i do like to have fun with them, my favorite is right before i hang up i thank them, and then i flush the toilet. making sure they hear it flush.. so they think "was he taking a crap the entire time i was talking to him"

and on with the day

woah that is slow,. they need to boost that bad boy.

sorry about the sunday convo with the isp... i hate talking to them as well. like pulling teeth some days. but i do like to have fun with them, my favorite is right before i hang up i thank them, and then i flush the toilet. making sure they hear it flush.. so they think "was he taking a crap the entire time i was talking to him"

and on with the day

That's hilarious!

I'm going to do that next time!

[thumbup]

Twice a year, you should start up from your original software CD and launch the Disk Utility. Then... "Verify Disk" and, if needed "Repair Dsk". Then"Repair Disk Permissions" and you are good to go. Also clear your browser cache and your Finder's "Open Recent" occasionally.

Twice a year, you should start up from your original software CD and launch the Disk Utility. Then... "Verify Disk" and, if needed "Repair Dsk". Then"Repair Disk Permissions" and you are good to go. Also clear your browser cache and your Finder's "Open Recent" occasionally.

How do you clear the browser cache surfpup?

On this occasion I am now sure it is a slow broadband connection that is responsible, but this information is helpful.

I have Mackeeper installed and I actually think that it does empty the browser cache, but I will check.

I'm with you guitarest,

But I won't be going to Mac stuff as I need the PC world software with my work. Lighting Design (engineering & CAD stuff) programming all the A/V equipment & lighting controls, remote controls etc. Yeah, and all the stuff for support at work like Accounting, Dealing with doc's & stuff. Life for me is WAY more than the Web and it's the number one culprit for computers & networks to crash & slow down IMHO (I'm a network & computer geek and I don't mean at the "Not so BestBuy"). It's a Window world that that's that. But, I'm tired of all the fluff & stuff. Just give me something that was as bullet proof as Windows 2000 Professional with some Video for the web and cut the crap out of the OS. FAST, LEAN & MEAN. Sounds like Linux but with software available eh? [biggrin]

Aster

I'm with you guitarest,

But I won't be going to Mac stuff as I need the PC world software with my work. Lighting Design (engineering & CAD stuff) programming all the A/V equipment & lighting controls, remote controls etc. Yeah, and all the stuff for support at work like Accounting, Dealing with doc's & stuff. Life for me is WAY more than the Web and it's the number one culprit for computers & networks to crash & slow down IMHO (I'm a network & computer geek and I don't mean at the "Not so BestBuy"). It's a Window world that that's that. But, I'm tired of all the fluff & stuff. Just give me something that was as bullet proof as Windows 2000 Professional with some Video for the web and cut the crap out of the OS. FAST, LEAN & MEAN. Sounds like Linux but with software available eh? [biggrin]

Aster

Get a mac and run both. Parallels for Mac is a great VM App... You don't even need to open a VM window... msp_thumbup.gif

Your first problem is using Mac Keeper. Get rid of it ( if you can) Have you done a permissions repair lately?

What he says. msp_thumbup.gif

Seriously... I have a 1st gen Macbook and it still flies and I've never used mac keeper...

The problems that I had (which rarely occurred) were solved by update or by using disk utility...

I also don't like windows vista and 7... I do like XP. I actually still use it. Stable, no problems, not asking me to allow something every five minutes... NIce and smooth msp_smile.gif

If you have a large iTunes library make sure your setting for the new cloud sharing are correct for what you need. Most of the major complaints in the last few weeks on macintosh performance tanking is because of iTunes matching and the genius listing update on large libraries and multiple machine it can really damage performance if you don't operate all that in off hours. the scary part is it almost looks like a internet issue as the machine just spins trying to sing huge libraries. If you don't know what I'm talking about drop me a PM.

iTunes match trying to redo your libraries can reduce performance by 70% while it's running.

Archived