Gibson Brands Forums

PROS/CONS of SELLING/SHIPPING overseas

retrorod

What are the pitfalls of shipping an Ebay auction guitar overseas?(from the U.S.) I have heard of some countries that are risky to ship to. Does anyone have any guidelines or eperiences to relate? With the European buying power so strong now, I hate to rule out 'potential buyers' from the pool. Thanks, RRod

I recently sold a Tacoma guitar on ebay. I won't allow overseas bidders. It was based on the feedback I received from sellers on the ebay forum (which you might want to check out). My understanding is that there is a lot of scams relating to international buyers on big-ticket items like guitars. The advice I got from veteran sellers was "don't be greedy, it isn't worth it."

FYI--i ended up selling my to a British guy. However, he was visiting the US and gave me a US address to ship to. I spoke to the residents of that address as well as his boss in England to confirm his identity. He even e-mailed me a copy of his passport. I did some other due-diligence on the guy before finalizing the sale. And I was still nervous!

Good luck.

Be prepared for a lot of hasle.

From who?

I have always wanted to buy from the States as we get a great deal with the exchange rate, however there are a few things in the buyers way. Uk custom are ready to hump us at any given opportunity. If you send a $2000 guitar and declare its worth £200 then from what I understand that is a Federal Offence which has big penalties. As a buyer from the UK I have noticed that alot of US sellers will only take a bank wire transfer. Thats a big no no here! as the buyer is not protected. Other issues are things like insurance and the postman who couldn't give a fu*k what happens to your precious new axe.

Flight959

With the European buying power so strong now' date=' I hate to rule out 'potential buyers' from the pool. Thanks, RRod[/quote']

Don't worry about it, looking at the current exchange rates in the last couple of days thats pretty much going out the window now!

I guess when you elect a new president the dollar will strenghten a bit more...depending on who gets in of course..

I'm with Flight959 on this regarding the customs..I would buy so many guitars in the morning but the reputable guys I want to deal with won't put a false value declaration on the box so then I get hit with 21.5% tax on the purchase, which wipes out any saving when buying a $3000+ guitar.

The US post Office is a huge hassle. The shipping box can only be so large for air parcel, which is what you need to get insurance. I think it's 108" l+w+girth which is hard to sqeeze a hard case into especially an acoustic or bass. They will turn you away if it's 1" over and tell you to repack. Delivery confirmation is impossible for overseas also.

Then there is UPS and FedEx. they charge 2-3 times more for shipping that the USPS.

I have a bunch of stuff on the bay right now and I put US only and I've already had 4 emails from overseas trying to convince me. I don't have a problem for small stuff like pedals or pups but the big stuff is such a pain.

Man, this forum moves fast! Thanks for all the responses! I have made my decision. Will NOT ship overseas. They may not get such a great deal after all, if getting charged 21% import tariff + the high cost of shipping??

Man' date=' this forum moves fast! Thanks for all the responses! I have made my decision. Will NOT ship overseas. They may not get such a great deal after all, if getting charged 21% import tariff + the high cost of shipping??[/quote']

I live in Spain and have bought a few guitars from the states and had them shipped... I never had a problem. Just use a good shipping service. Your chances of getting more for what you are selling is much better with the whole market open.

I have received guitars shipped by USPS, DHL and UPS.... Never had a problem. Just communicate with the buyer. Make sure he knows the cost and time involved. Use tracking, its not a problem!

I'm currently trying to sell a Les Paul and I'm hoping that someone overseas buys it. With the prices of Gibsons in Europe and Australia' date=' I figure it's probably a better deal there than over here.[/quote']

Your right Junkie... Plus the euro is strong against the dollar now and people are looking to get more for their money...

I too was worried about that issue. I never did any kind of international buying or selling. The first thing i ever tired to sell on ebay was a set of EMG 81's and I put in big bold letters NO INTERNATIONAL BIDDERS U.S. ONLY. Would you believe I had four people from other countrys bid on them anyway. I contacted ebay and they told me not to accept the payment. Why can't ebay fix it where only the countrys the seller wants to sell to are even allowed to bid. It would make it much more simple.

Archived