Gibson Brands Forums

My first post - the usual question: in what year was my guitar made?

ununtrium

First of all a hearty 'Hello' to everyone!

I recently joined the club of Historic Gold Top owners and I would like to know, when my guitar was actually made. Its serial-# is: 6 6360. It is a '56 Reissue (according to the stamp in the control cavity). The potis have the following numbers stamped on them: R 1379626 440-70035A

Any help would be greatly appreciated. The guitar plays and sounds like a dream. It is very light and sustains for days.

Cheers!

Many thanks, that makes perfect sense. The guitar does not have bumble bee caps, but those small round, orange caps that look like m&m's, if you know what I mean. I also noticed that it has the thin binding in the cut-away that has the maple cap showing through. It also does not have a VOS finish. Does all this tally with '96 reissue specs?

Now, it would be very interesting to learn, how many R6's were produced that year....On the other hand, it does not really matter, because I am going to keep this guitar for good.

Again, many thanks for getting back to me.

Cheers!

Many thanks' date=' that makes perfect sense. The guitar does not have bumble bee caps, but those small round, orange caps that look like m&m's, if you know what I mean. I also noticed that it has the thin binding in the cut-away that has the maple cap showing through. It also does not have a VOS finish. Does all this tally with '96 reissue specs?

[/quote']

yes

Archived