Gibson Brands Forums

For those with multiple guitars...

Tim Plains

I tend to stick to one or two, and lately it's been one. My near new ES-339 is the only electric I've gigged with since I got it mid Sept.

I'm probably gonna dump my '91 tri burst Tele that's been my #1 for the last several years, because I don't like tricking my brain with different scale lengths ( I do a lot of long slides into and out of notes, and the first few weeks with the 339 would overshoot, if ya know what I mean), and the 339 kills it for tone, playabilty, sustain, comfort, cool, ect.

My '03 J45 RW acoustic gets played every day, but rarely gigs, I'm in a working band and haven't done any solo acoustic gigs for several years actually. But I keep it in my hands a lot around the house. It's just a great acoustic.

My '61 Melody Maker is retired, but has been in the family for 38+ years so it'll stick around. My'79 SG is pretty much a spare, but has it's place for extreme crunch with the ceremic uncovered "velvet bricks".

HG? What the hell happened?

Murph.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just out of curiosity' date=' when was the last time you picked up your eds-1275? Or do you just keep it set up in that pic-of-the-year-worthy display case? On the same note, I wonder how often Neo plays his... they just don't look that practical to be honest.

[/quote']

Right now I just have it stored.... Once I feel worthy of playing it, it will get regular workouts. That guitar gives me insperation, a goal to meet. I need goals to get results... But thats just me.

Right now I'm playing my newest guitar the most which is an Epiphone Elitist Dot and I would say that it may actually be my best playing guitar - better than my Gibson Les Paul and SRV Strat.

When I'm just playing around for fun I'll pick up what ever I feel like at the time - I don't think about "I've not played that one in a while."

I have a bass and 12 string acoustic that are pretty neglected and my DeArmond jazz box doesn't get played much any right now either.

Other times, I like to record music and then I pick a guitar because I'm looking for a certain sound.

On another note... I've not kept up with the latest signiture guitars. Other than the name Jimmy Page is there something different about the JP EDS 1275 as compared to a regular one? Are the electronics different or neck scale?

I play most of mine about the same since they are generally pretty different. The two that are closest in sound (2007 LP Classic gold top and 2005 LP Standard faded) probably get played the most but they are still different. The faded has BB pros, and I tend to grab it for bluesy stuff. The gold top is more of the rock machine with Duncan Pearly Gates pickups in it - but the difference is very subtle (in spite of the dreaded chambering). I play my strat often when I'm want to sound like... oh yeah, a strat! I might be playing an LP and suddenly feel like getting my Hendrix on. I probably play the Tele the least for just jamming but I play it the most if I am writing a song. It works well for that. I pretty much just grab what I feel like playing. A lot of people on here have multiple Les Pauls so the distinctions are probably more subtle for them.

The Historics are full time in the rotation. Gibson USAs are second string..

The Eric Johnson Strat, and PRS's are not really seeing any action. Great guitars... but not gettin' any.

No. 1 right now is the Bonamassa Inspired by LP. LOVE IT!

The ones not getting played are on the chopping block. If something else comes along that I can't live without,

I can't see keeping guitars that I don't LOVE to play. Especially if there's fresh GAS symptoms.

I tend to use the ES 335 and the Tele with the Les Paul trailing close. I play the Strat less all the time and have stopped playing the Hofner. I can't play the Washburn Goldtop because my son has it. The acoustics get a workout about once a week. I still suck so I should be playing them all a whole lot more!

For blues and country I mainly play a heavily modded custom shop strat w/ graphite saddles,bone nut,brass shimmed neck,noiseless neck and middle pubs,ibanez v8 bridge pub coil tapped(don't ask me why but I had a RG570 and I loved the sound),and a .001 cap volume pot boost. Everything else I play on a 07 maple top Lester Custom with PAF's. It's the only guitar i've owned that played great as is. Out of nine guitars their the nicest best playing guitars I own, after being spoiled on them I don't wanna play the other ones.

Primary Electric Players

Gibson - Warren Haynes signature 58

Gibson - Standard Honeyburst

Gibson - Goldtop LP 56 p-90

Hammer - taladega

Gloss Black BFG GOTW

ES-335 Cherry

ES - 339 Cherry

Taylor t-5 Koa

Taylor Solid Body Custom Walnut

Fender American Tele

Gretsch Bryan Adams

PRS - Singlecut pre-lawsuit

Specilty Sounds

Godin - Multiac nylon

Godin - Multiac JAZZ

Godin - Montreal

J-185 12 string

National RetroRocket

Chapman Stick - Maple

Acoustic

Gibson j-185 EC Maple

Gibson J-45

Gibson - Hummingbird

Martin d-28

McPherson - Koa- Adirondack

George Leach Custom - Koa/Adirondack

WOW! Very nice list!

I have a 2008 Am.std.olympic white strat I love.Hot Rod tele, they get played a lot.My Highway One strat and Texas tele

don,t get played.My custom Tele is for show mainly,doesn,t have but maybe 3 hrs.playing time.My new Les Paul custom

will be played more than all of them.the Highway,s will be put on Ebay or sold.All my guitars are not older than 2007.[-X

as you can see i have a few to choose from.the maple neck custom was the #1 for over 20 years but due to hands not in as good of shape as once was i tend to go with the fatter 50s necks i have over the slimmer neck of the 78 when i gig, but all of them get plenty of love at home.still love the 78 for shorter gigs

Electric Guitars:

B.C. Rich Warlock

Hamer Slammer

Acoustic Guitars:

Washburn Oscar Schmidt

Austin 12-String (I forget what it is actually called, but it is a 12-string guitar)

B.C. Rich (I forget what this is called, but it's a 6 string.)

I use the Hamer Slammer and the Washburn Oscar Schmidt a lot, B.C. Rich Warlock is moderate, I play the B.C. Rich acoustic sometimes, not very often at all, and the Austin 12-String, I usually don't play because I am not really good at 12-String guitar.

I like to play my strat copy made by Hondo every day. It was my first guitar and I somehow still like it. I threw a GFS tele pickup in it recently because I can't afford a tele right now. Its my poor man's tele. I use my SG for playing live and occasionally practice with it. The rest of my guitars are a couple hundred miles away. Shame on me.

I try to play each guitar at least once a week, that way, they are kept relatively in tune and I'll notice if any maintenance issues have developed. Otherwise, I tend to focus on the LP Supreme and Strat for rock, and the T5 for jazz and pop stuff.

Archived