Gibson Brands Forums

thinking of buying a EL00,need advice

jwmtele

Hello people,

I am thinking of buying a Epiphone EL00,I have been playing blues and classic rock for a few years

on a electric,and now want to learn acustic blues,delta style,Robert Johnson type music.I will be taking

some online lessons.What do you all think of the Epiphone EL00?I want a Gibson blues king but cant afford one

at this time,and the EL00 is a copy of the blues king.Does anyone own one or have any advice on buying one?

Looking to spend around $300 and the EL00 is at that price.I dont live near any stores that carry one so i

will be ordering one from a major online music store.Any and all input and advice is most welcome,Thanks in

advance.Cheers.

James

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Odd--before I posted the reply about the FT135, I had done another one that got bumped, apparently. Well, aside from also recommending the Bluesmaster--which Epi needs to return to its line--and telling of my own gear, I suggested the Masterbilt EF line, esp. the EF500M, the mahogany-bodied model.

Hi,

I own an Epiphone EL-00, I bought it around three years ago. It's the later shaped one, as you like the Gibson blues king you should try and find the earlier 'rounded' bout EL's. In my opinion they are great little instruments. They are not the loudest guitars in the world but have a lovely tone and capo'd up it simply comes alive.

Alternatively as someone has mentioned in the post before the other option is a 60/70's Epiphone Caballero (I think) or the Cortez. Both getting increasingly hard to come by these days but there is a few about on the net. I only joined tonight on this forum and already I'm rambling!!!

Hi James, Timely question for me. I just got the EL-00 last week, and have been meaning to post an HNGD thread. I also bought the 00 case to go with it. Let me start by saying this is a great guitar and if something happened to it, I'd buy it again. But there were a few minor issues with the whole process for me. I'll tell you about those and then get to the good stuff. I ordered from Musician's Friend, and the shipping box arrived unscathed in great condition. When I opened the shipping box, the Epiphone triangular box looked like it had been turned upside down and dropped from about 8 feet. The top was crushed about 3 or 4 inches. I can't believe they'd even ship something in that condition. The guitar had one very little chip on the edge of the headstock just to the right of the center notch. And when I looked in the soundhole, there looked to be three big blobs of glue on the bottom, about under the bridge. I was very close to sending it back at that point. The action was a little high, but that's to be expected, and not hard to fix. I changed the strings that night, and when I loosened the high E string, it looked like it had been run over by a lawn mower. Twisted and bent and gnarled in every direction from top to bottom. The good news is that I reached in the sound hole to rub the "glue" blobs, and it turns out it was buffing compound I guess, because it felt like cake frosting, and it wiped right up with a damp paper towel. So all in all, it was just the tiny scratch on the headstock. The good stuff... The neck is really straight, the finish is beautiful, the frets were dressed properly, and the mini Grover tuners are great. Almost every guitar I've ever tuned, seems like at least one tuner has a little more or a little less torque than the others. But these mini-Grovers are all tight and all feel exactly the same. Got the case from Amazon, and it is beautiful. Black with caramel-colored trim on the lid, and caramel handle. I put D'adario light strings on it, and when I play a few of the blues tunes and runs that I know, then watch Gibson Blues King stuff on YouTube, I can't tell the difference. It has a fantastic blues box sound. I normally play bluegrass acoustic with my AJ500-R, and the sound is completely different. A few of us get together and work on blues from time to time, and this is going to make it a lot of fun. I sanded the saddle and the action is fine now. I also tweeked the truss rod an eigth of a turn, and the truss rod cover screws are fitted perfectly and straight. And today I ordered vintage bone bridge pins and a vintage bone saddle from Bob at www.guitarsaddles.com. It's also very comfortable to pick up and play while sitting on the couch. I'm glad I got it, and glad I kept the one I received. I also took off the "E" on the pickguard after a couple of days.post-17930-071852000 1324190015_thumb.jpg

Mike

• 2 years later...

I am having a surprising amount of trouble adjusting the truss rod on my EL00. I think I've tried every kind of Allen key I have but nothing bites. Is there a special tool for TR adjustments?

the size should be a 4mm wrench.

I got my EL-00 Pro just before rodeo season, so I haven't had a chance to wring it out. Or to play much at all. It gets kinda busy around here in rodeo season. (The big stuff is over, but there are still smaller events going on for another cupla weeks.)

But it sounds nice and plays nicer, even with original equipment strings that I dislike.

For what it's worth, I figure $400 or so with case is a helluva bargain.

The one weakness I can see is that the tone pot seems awfully weak. But having tone and volume in the soundhole is nice. That observation has been seconded by a cupla folks here.

I also was looking into a small Gibbie but... honestly, for the kinda specialized functions that I wanted this one for, I guess I don't see a reason to do the theoretical upgrade.

I'm a 99 percent fingerpicker unless I have time to jam a bit with others - and even then, if it's electric I fingerpick.

Most of my "strumming" is on the big boxes.

The one thing I can't quite figure is the degree of affection I'll have for this and my PR5e that's marvelous for 99 percent of what I want in a fingerpicking "play cowboy and similar folkie styles" in a solo gig.

That last is 'cuz frankly I'm a "physical comfort and playability" guy over fractions of "tone."

So... take my commentary for what you might figure it's worth.

m

I played the first version of the EL-00 a number of years back and was very impressed. When the EL-00 Pro came out I was even more impressed with its slightly wider neck. I found it to be on par with my 1965 Ladder braced Gibson LG1, maybe even a bit better in view of its x bracing. A little hard to tell with my LG1 so broken in from playing and the EL-00 and EL-00 Pro being brand new in the stores I played them in. I held off getting one because it's sound and feel seemed so similar to my LG1. However, this past May I traded an old EKO arch top that I never played into collection for a used EL-00 Pro as an even swap. I replaced the factory imitation bone saddle with an authentic bone saddle that was slightly higher to give the guitar a bit more volume and voila...this guitar is awesome. It's shape is cool too (as is the LG-1's, maybe even a bit more so with its smaller upper bout) as it is extremely comfortable to play sitting or standing. Great sunburst and neck shape, too. Now that I have both the LG-1 and the EL-00 in my collection and the EL-00 is getting more and more worked in, I find it is soooo similar sounding to my aged LG-1 it is mind-boggling. My LG-1 is a bit mellower, but then again its 49 years older wood. The EL-00 Pro is a great guitar. The one downside is I do not really like its electric sound plugged in with its factory undersaddle Fishman pickup. It's a bit too tinny sounding or something for my fingerpicking style, not that unusual for under saddle piezo pickups in my opinion. With a sound hole pickup it's awesome (I use a Fishman Rare Earth Humbucker interchanged between my acoustic guitars if I need to mic my guitars). However, I am leaving the factory undersaddldle factory it comes with in the EL-00 Pro as it's too much hassle to remove and I'll let it be a backup pickup in case my soundhole pickup's battery konks out or I don't have it with me on the fly if I need to mic the guitar. I recommend the EL-00 or it's updated Pro model of you are looking for a small body guitar.

For how it sounds acoustic, here's an audio clip of me playing Got to Get You Into My Life on my EL-00 Pro on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJFsjm2CW2g

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

It's all about practice, practice, practice. I do everyday, although some days only for a few minutes. Been doing that practice routine since I was 9 years old (52 years) except for occasional planned breaks from the routine. Thanks for the positive feedback!

Jazzman Jeff aka QM

• 1 month later...

I just ordered one from MF they only sell the pro. I got the EPI case too. They gave me a deal since I ordered it over the phone $322 plus tax. The case in back ordered. Musicians Friend seems to be pretty good. I just hope the box isn't smashed like one post I read. So far I've read good reviews about MF . They have a great return policy if it's damaged in any way.

I have never seen an EL00 pro since no one here ever carried one and it took a while to save up enough to get it. If the nut is close to the AJ100 I have I can deal with it. It's a bit close but livable. I'd like to play one first but can't and Guitar Center it's ship to store and anything wrong you need to deal with the store . I imagine all are shipped by UPS or Fedex so one can arrive at the store damaged as well.

I just hope mine is a good one , I can fix action and such if needed.

Thing is, the disadvantage to buying "mail order" (I'm old, so pardon the old-time term) is that one isn't certain about the length of time the instrument has worn those factory strings; sometimes a dry climate will end up with a bit of sharp fret ends sticking out from the fingerboard.

That's not "epi" but anything except perhaps for some composite fingerboards.

I figure the first thing to do is change out the strings. I'll often not even strum the "new" guitar other than to see if there's a major neck problem before changing strings.

Then mess with it. If you change much of the string tension, you may need an "adjust" on the neck; if you change string gauge you may need to mess with the nut, although that's not been my own difficulty given my penchant for lighter than usual strings on an acoustic purchased for fingerpicking.

m

Thing is, the disadvantage to buying "mail order" (I'm old, so pardon the old-time term) is that one isn't certain about the length of time the instrument has worn those factory strings; sometimes a dry climate will end up with a bit of sharp fret ends sticking out from the fingerboard.

That's not "epi" but anything except perhaps for some composite fingerboards.

I figure the first thing to do is change out the strings. I'll often not even strum the "new" guitar other than to see if there's a major neck problem before changing strings.

Then mess with it. If you change much of the string tension, you may need an "adjust" on the neck; if you change string gauge you may need to mess with the nut, although that's not been my own difficulty given my penchant for lighter than usual strings on an acoustic purchased for fingerpicking.

m

I wasn't thrilled about ordering on on-line yet no one even close to me ever had one in stock since they came out. Musicians Friend seems to get good reviews from a lot of fellows who bought many guitars and amps through the years. Also They offer a great return policy and will ship another before I ship one back .

To add From where their warehouse is and the route it's taken it's been fairly cool and humid not to say that applies to the trucks they use and then UPS who then brings it here. Plus they ship these guitar all the way from China so who know what conditions are in that process.

I'm hoping it gets here in great shape will be here friday the 19th . I expect to have to make some adjustments even though EPI claims they are setup in the USA before they hit the warehouse. I use the same gauge string they use at the factory . I have a 2004 Seagull S series Grand that I use yet I have wanted one of the EL00 since they came out. If the nut is in fact 1.68 I can deal with that , it's tight but only a 32" narrower than the Grand . I'm not certain what a slim taper neck means yet if it's anything like the neck on the EPI AJ100 I have then it's fine. I don't have small hands . Epi does not describe thing all that well.

Awesome! Well it should arrive later today. Please let us know what you think of it. I'm considering purchasing one myself. I totally love the size and it looks nice too. I have purchased most of my guitars online. It's a little bit of time and effort lost, If you need to try a different one and have to return it. But the reward IMO is so worth it, when you get your hands on a nice one. So far I have only had to send one guitar back to guitar center and honestly the guitar was great, they just sent me the wrong one. Hopefully you first one is it for you.

QuestionMark posted a YouTube video of him playing the EL00. Here is the link if you have not had a chance to check it out yet. ~CO

Awesome! Well it should arrive later today. Please let us know what you think of it. I'm considering purchasing one myself. I totally love the size and it looks nice too. I have purchased most of my guitars online. It's a little bit of time and effort lost, If you need to try a different one and have to return it. But the reward IMO is so worth it, when you get your hands on a nice one. So far I have only had to send one guitar back to guitar center and honestly the guitar was great, they just sent me the wrong one. Hopefully you first one is it for you.

QuestionMark posted a YouTube video of him playing the EL00. Here is the link if you have not had a chance to check it out yet. ~CO

I hope it arrives in fine shape . The hard part is waiting for UPS to arrive and hoping the shipping box is not destroyed. Then open the box . I can deal with adjustments if needed. Can't say I want to deal with a return and go through this again.

Archived