Gibson Brands Forums

Probucker pickups?

newlife15

Hey all,

I just ordered an es339 and I can't wait to get my hands on it ;).

But I do have a question about the pickups. Epiphone calls them Probuckers.

Has anyone heard or use these pickups? Do they come in any other model?

How do they sound compared to the burstbuckers in my Gibson?

Thanks.

Newlife.

My understanding is that probuckers are Epi's answer to gibson "burstbucker pros" . I had a guitar with BB pros, and they sounded awesome, but i can not say how the probuckers sound.....perhaps you could do a side by side A B comparison and let us know what you think.

and it is the law that you have to post pics when you new geet arrives [thumbup]

What a great dad....

Seriously, Newlife ... this ought to be a Christmas to remember!

I own a Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro equipped with a Burstbucker 3 and an Epiphone Traditional Pro with the Epi Probuckers. Aside for a slightly greater output from the Gibby pups, the two sound amazingly similar. In short, I think you're gonna love that ES339 ... oh, wait ... it IS for your kid, right??? [biggrin]

Jim

Don't Probuckers have A2's? I believe that all the alnicos Epi's used until now have been A5's.

A2's are low output and have a rounded high end, lots of mids, a looser low end, and lots of vintage dynamics. A5's are higher output and have loads of treble and bass, scooped mids, a firm low end, and not as much dynamics.

Just got my ES 339 yesterday, I have BurstBuckers on my Les Paul Studio. Haven't done an A/B yet, but so far I am happy. I like the coil tap feature on the ES 339.

IMG_1090.jpg

Awesome !!!!!!

What color did you get? What can you compare the single coil to?

need pics........

Just got my ES 339 yesterday, I have BurstBuckers on my Les Paul Studio. Haven't done an A/B yet, but so far I am happy. I like the coil tap feature on the ES 339.

Wow very nice. Mine is in ebony. just got it today. Will post pics tomorrow.

HNGD you guys, I'm smitten with the 339 in Ultra form, be very interested in your impressions once you've got enough time to put it down, LOL, enjoy.

ok, so I got the es339 ultra in red yesterday!!!!!! and it look just as good as guitar dog's es339. Believe it or not it arrived in the local Guitar ctr wednesday and i sniped it asap. So, far I am really happy with everything. Fit and finish. Just a beauty.!!!! Once we get a day with sun in Michigan; i will get a pic outdoors for everyone.

I have not had a chance to check out the guitar rig software. I plan to do that this weekend. What I can report on is this:

For the mod fevered members---GO FOR THE ES339 !!!!!!!

All of the mini pots are on a boards. It was quit a nest of wire in the control cavity. The only feasible mod would be to upgrade pups to 57 classics. The main board has a connector for the neck pup and bridge. 2 wire connector. this makes for a very easy pup switch. At this time i see no need to change the pups. KEEP IN MIND THESE ARE NOT GIBSON BURSTBUCKERS AND THE OUT WILL NOT BE THE SAME.

as for the mini pots, i have no issue with them. The output from the pups are great. Again i do not think they will hold against the gibson buckers. There was a midtown on the wall too and the burst buckers in those where mind blowing. No comparison with the epi probuckers!!! I have noticed the nanomag has a slightly high output than the magnetic pups.

The electronic's work great. I will have to get use too the 3 vol and master tone setup. I like that the master tone a/b's the nanomag and magnetic pups. And the Tuner ring is awesome. I will try my best to give a proper review after a few days with this beauty.

Based on what my experience is so far. It is a winner!!! And a keeper!!!!

I have noticed the nanomag has a slightly high output than the magnetic pups.

Grats on an Ultra-339, best to get your NanoMag fine tuned on the pre-amp controls on the rear, then use the front controls for variation from those. Have a ball and enjoy, HNGD.

Archived