Gibson Brands Forums

SG with Floyd Rose

Ochlocracy

I'm not into Floyds myself, especially the ones where you have to cut the ball off the string and worry about having allen wrenches or losing that tiny metal block that holds the string in, but hey that's just me, if other players out there would use one Gibson should give it a go. I didn't mind the 80s 3-knob SGs that had Kahler surface-mount systems on them, those seem to do better and didn't require all the routing a Floyd Rose needs, which risks weakening the body. Not crazy about the hassle of Bigsbys either, I prefer the big Maestro box or the TP-6 fine-tuner bridge, if anything. What I would like to see is an SG with 3 mini-hums, much like the Firebird VII.

Would hate one, sg's should only have a bigsby or maestro. I have afriend that has a floyd rose and hate it, i had a strat with a basic tremelo bridge and hated it. i cant play his because he always tunes down to drop d, and i play alot of standard e songs. floy rose is great if you like to really wank the bar(van halen) but besides that its a clunky system. ill stick to my stop bar tailpiece thank you

Gibson made one before - In 1988 Gibson introduced the SG90 Double, with thru-body construction or the option of a Steinberger KB-X tremolo. In 1989, the tremolo option was changed to a Licensed Floyd Rose Tremolo Tailpiece. The model was discontinued in 1990.

sg90double1018hu.jpg

sg90double1039ay.jpg

So are vacuum tubes. What's your point?

My point is the guys who adopted the Bigsby back in the 40's and 50's weren't afraid to try something new. Look what happened in the 60's as a result.

Maybe it would do us well to have the same attitude.

My point is the guys who adopted the Bigsby back in the 40's and 50's weren't afraid to try something new. Look what happened in the 60's as a result.

Maybe it would do us well to have the same attitude.

word.

You can put Kahlers & Floyd Roses on SGs all you want. I won't buy it which just means more FR SGs for everyone else.

I used to have an SG with a floyd, and if I had to sum up that guitar in three words I'd say "Worst Thing Ever" the two big problems were that the SG neck joint is pretty fragile on it's own, when you instantly drop all the pressure off the neck by dumping the floyd then bring all that pressure back when you let go of the trem arm the guitar goes out of tune because the neck moves like crazy. I had to constantly adjust that truss rod. Also SG's are super thin and the steel block for the floyd stuck out the back of the guitar, you could feel it rubbing against you when you'd use the floyd while standing up. I like SG's and I like Floyd Roses, but I HATE them together.

• 5 weeks later...

of course they should make it... is the SG not their all time best seller? won't take away from the current line up. sure it's a neiche product but no worse than say the Reverse V. if they can find a way to market it, they should be able to figure out how to build it... idc if they need to modify body thickness, neck joint, etc., this would not be an axe for the purist.

• 3 years later...

I used to have an SG with a floyd, and if I had to sum up that guitar in three words I'd say "Worst Thing Ever" the two big problems were that the SG neck joint is pretty fragile on it's own, when you instantly drop all the pressure off the neck by dumping the floyd then bring all that pressure back when you let go of the trem arm the guitar goes out of tune because the neck moves like crazy. I had to constantly adjust that truss rod. Also SG's are super thin and the steel block for the floyd stuck out the back of the guitar, you could feel it rubbing against you when you'd use the floyd while standing up. I like SG's and I like Floyd Roses, but I HATE them together.

I am a pro player and now, nearly 20 years after playing a SG-90 w/ Floyd in the NYC showroom, have two of them in my possession for about two years, haha... swapping to Custom 8 Duncan pickups and plek'd, easily the best guitar I have ever owned -- they have maple necks [only on the ones w/ Floyds] that never goes out of tune ... well, actually, one floyd is stable and the other is not. I replaced the Grovers on both with Tone-Pro Klusons in view of the weight savings and the locking nut.

I also have two SG-90 singles w/ Duncan's and upgraded wiring; one with a '61 feel and the other more a '62 -- one has Tone-Pro Klusons too.

The wood from this period is amongst the best I hear -- the gear page has a huge thread on this period of Gibson's...

My first Gibson was 1968 SG Standard, have played lots of amazing guitars, ES-345's, Byrdland's, L5's, Strats, a 1985 custom shop LPJDC with OBLs', ESP's, etc.

Something about it, but I can't place what. For me; an SG or LP with a Floyd doesn't look quite right in my head. Personally I'd much prefer a Bigsby for the look and application, but each to their own, of course.

Archived